Sign in to follow this  
Daandurreey

Shame as K'naan is caught stealing Ethiopian music

hey guys, internet was buzzing lately with K'naan and how he stole music from Ethiopian artists. I didn't know the guy loved Ethiopian music this much, but he should never pass stuff like this as his own eey aniga ila tahey.

to give no credit and no mention of original source is more than shamelessness.

some angry amhara people put together music k'naan stole from some well-known ethiopian artists . Very funny video.

http://www.diretube.com/knnan-beats-are-stolen-from-ethiopian-singers/is-the-copy-right-law-only-for-the-selected-few-video_e4703e88d.html#

i know rap artists sample old songs but they give credit. i read k'naan never gave proper credit. since i didn't buy his album, i can't say if it is true or not, but originality is the last headache K'naan needs after his recent problems with South African media where he was called names.

Chimera   

The guy who made that youtube video is one dumb fool, K'naan credits all of his samples on his album, something this so-called investigator would know if he purchased his albums instead of relying on bootlegs. Thiis is just someone trying to discredit a rising major artist because his background is Somali.

their websites are writing these accusations.

Somalia-Canadian rapper K'Naan stole beats from Oromo singer

http://www.jimmatimes.com/

Why would an African steal songs and beats from another African? I just heard this week that one of my new favorite singers/rappers, Somali-Canadian K'Naan, stole the beats of Oromo-Ethiopian singer Tilahun Gessesse. Even worse, K'Naan is getting millions of hits, awards and fame from these songs at the same time while the great legend Tilahun recently passed away. Tilahun was one of the best muti-ethnic singers in Ethiopian history, very talented and the first Oromo singer to use modern mass media technology for Afan Oromo songs. Especially for those who love oldies tunes, Tilahune's songs will surely live forever.

It is sad that K'Naan did not respect Tilahun and other singers which he copied beats from. It is one thing to casually acknowledge that he was influenced by music from Ethiopia, which he had admitted before on the sideline. But it is completely another thing to copy and paste full similar themes and exactly identical beats from other singers WITHOUT GIVING FORMAL CREDIT to the original composer (s). The somali rapper K'Naan should respect fellow African singers instead of making money from other people's work or not giving credit.

The Zack   

Well Said Chimera! K'naan clearly gives credit to Tilahun Gessese on his album. These Xabashis need to buy his official CD's and should stop getting his music illegally before trying to critisize the popular Somali artist.

Daandurey, you do the same too before you post Xabashi links and accusations here. Do that before you believe what a mere raw-meat eater posts on his site.

Abtigiis   

Dazndurreey,

We have much more stolen by Ethiopians than 4 or 6 background music by a rapper. We have whole people and land stolen. :D :D But on the issue at hand, I want to tell you that had K'NAN not been a Somali, they would have been proud of his use of Tilahun's music. They would have said it proves the international appeal of Ethiopian music. Maria Makeba's adaptation of Tilahun's 'Tiz aliegn Agere' (I remembered my country) and Said Khalifa's 'Tena yistilign(I pray for your health)used to be played in Ethiopia radio and Television from dawn to dusk. Granted, it was all known the songs belonged to Ethiopia and the singers were merely adapting it. But, had they made money out of it, it is my contention, the Ethiopian's would not have mounted the fake anger they are now mounting on K'NAN. I am not a fan of K'NANA after I recently saw some trash Albums uu haween dhex fadhyo. I wanted him to take rap music to a higher pedastal as he did during the World Cup. But I know why he is attacked and I can safely understand how the mind of an Axmaar works. This latest onslaught is not coming from concern for copy rights, it is coming from anger that a Somali has overshadowed the thousands of Ethiopian singers whose appeal remain local, very local, as far as Mojjo and Sululta mountains circling Addis Ababa.

We stand by the side of K'NAN and say that none of the songs he copied from Ethiopia made him popular. It is his own creation 'Waving Flag' that made him a famous singer. And to be fair, Alemayehu Eshetu sang 'Ye fikir qal' (word of love) 40 years ago, but Alemayehu is not known beyond Arada and Piassa sections of Addis Ababa. He is not even listened to by Ethiopians of other languages, and even not by all of Amharas. He appeals to a small group of Amhara's from Semen Shoa, unlike Muluken Melesse who is from the same place but with a wider audience. That is why Alemayehu later composed 'Kottu' (come) in Oromiffa to expand his shrunk horizon.

Tilahun Gessesse was a good singer. He has some timeless songs, but many, many useless ones too. None of the songs K'NAN is said to have used as a background are hit songs in Ethiopia. None of them are considered great songs at home. It is not like K'NAN has taken Tilahun's great 'Selaamta', 'Watatuwa' (the young one),Minim Gize bihon (any time), Hiweentin ayanaat (we discovered life).

An Oromo singer named Yahya adapted many songs from the old Ethiopian singers in 1993-4 and was the talk of the town. people praised him for bringing dead songs from their shelves and breathing life into them. So what is the fuss if K'NAN resurrected dead and buried music and put life into them? Will the original ones appeal to anyone if they are now re-produced the same way? Again,these are hypothetical matters. But the real issue is one of legality and morality. K'NAN may have erred there, and it was stu.pid of him to go to the neighbour to pilfer, especially to a hostile neighbour. But even more stu.pid is to think dead music will enliven his career. No wonder he is not going anywhere with the new releases. He should go and use Ahmed Mohamed Godh 'Shinbir's waist-moving classics.

However, the discolures are made by malice and I know the produers of the Ethiopian video are disgruntled Ethiopian singers who could make break with international audience. Let their entrals churn with rage, K'NAN will grow taller and has the talent to grow. Their smear campaign has the power of the fart a dog breaks out to put out a raging furnace. Tell them 'Hid ka zi, gimaataam Amhara! bitfalig tasaqal' (hit the road, stinking Amhara. Go hang, if you want). The joke that when 'Injera' (Ethiopian staple food) was taken to a laboratory to identify its ingredients, it was found that it has 30% nationalism (because it has iron and iron is related to Soil), 20% carbohydrate, and 50% Jelously, is correct afterall. :D :D

But the real issue is one of legality and morality. K'NAN may have erred there, and it was stu.pid of him to go to the neighbour to pilfer, especially to a hostile neighbour. But even more stu.pid is to think dead music will enliven his career. No wonder he is not going anywhere with the new releases. He should go and use Ahmed Mohamed Godh 'Shinbir's waist-moving classics.

lool abtigiis. xabashi can say whatever they want all day. aniga i am now more disappointed by his love affair with the xabashi music. to have 6 songs sampled from ethiopian artist is quite big maahinoo?. xabash are cursing him accusing him of stealing their music. lool. you get what you deserve. there is no originality i think. i as a somali was even shocked that many beats were from ethiopian artists.

something about k'naan and ethiopia.

here is k'naans dressing up as one of ethiopian christian kings.

knaan.jpg

wyre   

Daandurreey;682669 wrote:
hey guys, internet was buzzing lately with K'naan and how he stole music from Ethiopian artists. I didn't know the guy loved Ethiopian music this much, but he should never pass stuff like this as his own eey aniga ila tahey.

to give no credit and no mention of original source is more than shamelessness.

some angry amhara people put together music k'naan stole from some well-known ethiopian artists . Very funny video.

i know rap artists sample old songs but they give credit. i read k'naan never gave proper credit. since i didn't buy his album, i can't say if it is true or not, but originality is the last headache K'naan needs after his recent problems with South African media where he was called names.

Did he copy the song or it's just the music?

Haddii ey music ga kaliya tahay in america xittaa there are more fanaaniin that copied the others music balse laxanki hadduu isku mid eheen iyo mirahaba that's useless iney soo post gareeyaan wxaan micno leheen :(

Abtigiis   

Danduureey,

He didn't copy anything. Waa very undsicernable background which is infact not the same as the Ethiopian one. I wonder if using it really added anything to his music. On the website that posted the story, way is haystaan dhexdoodii. Qaar baa leh Amhara people are jelous , leave him alone and you must be grateful someone likes your crap music! :D :D Waa oromo and Tigres kuwa caayaya Amharas. I can tell you if this was done by 50 cent, way ku farxi lahaayeen. I know them better than I know my own Somalis.

That said, the point you raised is right. Ninkan maxaa Ethiopian'ka jecleeysiiyey. Ma gabadh buu saaxiib kala yahay? If that is the case, I can understand. Ethiopian girls waa wax jajaban oo raali galin badan; indhaha faraha kaa galin maayaan sida our own Xaliimoos! It is hard to hate them!

Zack, war horta ninku waa qoloma? :D :D Somalilander maba ahee, waxan xaguu ka keenay? :D

Abtigiis   

Ma anarchistbaa? Moor.yaan-enclosure?! Dee markaa ha bililiqaysto, dukaanadii xamarba bixin waayee! :D :D

Atavistic bililiqo-jeceyl baa la gashay halkaa.

The Zack   

^Haahey, waa sidii ninkii yidhi Rag is guri/

P.s. Is there a reason that my "Rep power" is just 51 and yours is 64 even though we both joined SOL Nov 2007? Dagaalkii SOL ma aniguu igu bilowday?

P.s.s. "Rep Powers" can be viewed by looking at below your Avatar.