Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Survey: Nearly 1 in 3 US Somalis live in Minnesota

Kulmiye   

The Associated Press

Published: Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MINNEAPOLIS - Nearly one in three people with Somali ancestry in the United States now live in the Minnesota, which has the largest concentration in the country, according to government data released Tuesday.

The latest report from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey found about 25,000 of the 85,700 Somalis in the U.S. live in Minnesota. Ohio, Washington and California also had large populations of Somalis, but the survey data found no more than 10,500 of them in any state except Minnesota.

There, the Somali population is growing, Minnesota State Demographer Tom Gillaspy said. The 2000 Census pegged it at 11,164.

The proof is on the streets of the Twin Cities, said Hashi Shafi of the Somali Action Alliance in Minneapolis.

Minneapolis Public Schools reported 1,345 of the district's students spoke Somali at home

READ MORE @ http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20101214/APN/1012142077

BOB   

Val...reer London didn't impress me much I've got to be honest and I have been to East, West, South and North...waxaad moodaa in kuwa Westiga dagan ay xoogaa ka yara roon yihiin kuwa kale...intaan arkayna waxaa ugu liita kuwa South dagan...illaa iyo Woolwich baan tagay oo some relatives baa dagan oo aan ugu tagay...I wasn't impressed at all, their biggest claim to 'Fame' waa Gangs and one of my cousins is currently doing time for it and he's only 18.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Really? We are only 25k in the entire state? why does it feel that we are in excess of 100k? I am dissapointed!!! So that means, London has more somalis than the entire USA

10k in each of the 3big somali states,which is 30k and add 25k of minni and we are just hovering around 100k. Either we are under counted or we are very mobile

LoL that number doesn't include all the illegal Somalis fresh off the boat and those with fake identities and stuff. So yea, we are way more than that.

Kulmiye   

85,700 Somalis live in just the U.S + the Somali population in Canada + Somalis scattered in Europe and across the middle East.... add all that up and you wonder why not put SOMALIA FOR SALE and get Minnesota and California somewhere in the deal:)

That's garbage, we should learn to spread out. One problem with us somali people - we like to stick together in one place don't we? and whatever neighbourhood we are in huge numbers tends to turn into a ghetto..coincidence? I don't like to think that way but it's true based on what I've seen!

Ismalura   

Sticking together is one of the best parts of our culture. How many Somali people are absolutely homeless and sleep on the streets? Very few because we can fit 10 people in a room for two and we all stay around each other. I have observed a trend where people pretend to be too good to live in meel Somali badan. A couple of my relatives and friends made a point of telling me that they are the only Somalis living in their building :( I would rather live in a somali neighbourhood any day because despite warka, dhibka iyo gethonimada I know some one will be there when I really need them. Long live my people :) !

Blessed   

grasshopper;680714 wrote:
That's garbage, we should learn to spread out. One problem with us somali people - we like to stick together in one place don't we? and whatever neighbourhood we are in huge numbers tends to turn into a ghetto..coincidence? I don't like to think that way but it's true based on what I've seen!

Not only Somalis and it isn't a problem. I don't know where you live but most big cities I've visited, ethnic groups tend to live together creating a community within society. This is benefitial on so many levels and eases busniess growth and support and even allocation of community specific resources from the government. Somalis have never turned an area into a ghetto, I know a few that were cleaned actually up by Somalis in the 90s - I know this has changed in recent times but I put that on erosion of the strong cultural morality we had back then.

We are a new and poor community and sadly many aren't ambitious enough to move from the poverty which is holding them back... again this isn't unique to Somalis, there are other communities, including natives who live in these ghettos. Lets stop treating Somaliness as a curse / excuse.

This is nonsense. K-12 students of Somali origin alone number in 15 thousands in the state of Minnesota. And that is only by those families who checked Somali as the language spoken at home when they filled the school forms.

Somalis in Minnesota are at least in the 100K +.

The Zack   

This report has a lot of loop holes. Somalis in Ohio alone are more than 30K. Based on other reports, some 80,000 Somalis live in Minnesota.

Tuujiye   

^^^ Blessed you made some good points abaayo...

We also need to look at the positive side of our people.. We are moving forward here in Canada faster than any immigrants before us and that's a fact. with in 19 years now, Somalis in Canada are Lawyers, Doctors, Accountants, Engineers ext... 4years ago before I finished Uni, was the last time I have seen any Somali kid talking about going to community college or something similar.. Every kid wanted to be in University and today maasha allah more than 300+ students are in Uni and that's just in Ottawa....

I Said it before, the faster we accept the changes in our lives and new homes, the faster we move to the right directions. If we look at every community before us, they are all connected to their home countries but are enjoying life else where... Somalis need to do the same and start to develop our minds so we could shape our feature. We have a chance to learn from others so that we could one day use it to help our country and our people iinsha allah....

Is important to always look both sides guys!...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

N.O.R.F   

What was the attraction of Min in the first place? Soomaalidu goormay gaadhay and why? I would understand NY, LA, Chicago etc ie the big 3.