Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Troll, Shaah, Cakes and Sheeko

STOIC   

My Muslim neighbor just came back from India.After four months of newspaper advertisement and countless interviews he found a suitable mate for his college graduate daughter! I used to hear that in Indian culture economically it is more taxing to have a girl than it is to have a boy because you have to pay a dowry to the man’s family whom your daughter is to be married to.My neighbor explained to me that he basically paid the man and his family.Gave them a college educated American citizen daughter for nothing...Weird culture....

NGONGE   

^^ And after all that, the girl goes to live with her mother in law and gets bossed around by her new husband's family. :D

Can't we find one of those for Wyre? :D :D :D

STOIC   

I knew they do those stuff, but i have never met someone that had done it..I spent half an hour with him yesterday to explain to me how it worked. I told him the American citizenship should worth more than the dowry they were all asking..

Malika   

^Indeed, a weird culture...Now the guy and his family will not only gain a wife, but a worker, cook, cleaner and forever devotion till death do them part..I would have sucked as an Indian woman, koleybaa wala igubii laha by now..Loool

Afternoon folks!

Maxa la shegee?

STOIC   

They already started processing the relocation sharcii stuff for him...Way unfair to the girl family..Men got it easy in that culture

Malika   

^Yep - listening to the radio this morning about how doctors in Rajastani are willy nilly removing uterus from young women - made my blood boil.

I grew up surrounded by Indians - it sure would have sucked to be born an Indian woman..noloshuu waa dib miraan.

NGONGE   

Malika, "Sati" only applied when the woman was a widow and wanted to die with her husband. Don't panic, unless you kill him they will not burn you. :D

(welcome back by the way. Long time no see and all that).

STOIC   

Malika,

When you read this stuff or hear it somewhere back your mind you doubt if it even exist, but to have practicing people sort takes you back..I doubt they will change anytime soon..Indeed Sucks to be born in that culture

Malika   

Ngonge - my family would have burned me, too independent for my own good even in the Somali standards..lol.

Stoic, it is harsh culture. One of my friends, she was a Patel, got married - not only to a well to do guy, but light skinned too [she made a point of that when she wrote to me] but my other friend whom the family was 'tailors' has not married, as there are 5 girls in the family, the father cant afford the dowry so they have all grown old at home...Nor did their brothers got married, being poor and a female is a curse in Indian culture.

nuune   

^^ Do they still do the dowry thing in India, meher badan ha la iga bixiyee waa inaan isku diyaariyaa Heydarabad, do I have a say how much dowry I need from the girl(sounds weird writing this).