Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Troll, Shaah, Cakes and Sheeko

Juxa   

salaam alaykum all

Norf congrats, lovely to have you lot there, i am already mentally planning a visit

Hi Serenity, I know what you mean, so disappointing, total lack of communication skills and standing like loox la qorey oo kale. I always regret putting my neck out for them but everytime i see an opportunity i cant help myself wanting to populate magalada with xaawo/faarax

N.O.R.F   

Thanks Juxa. Marxabah. For me, I can finally learn proper af carabi :)

I was talking to a very ambitious kid with great ideas the other night. They are out there.

Juxa   

Norf sometimes waxyabaha ay dhahaan is not appropriate like listing fatherhood as an interest/hobby

Juxa   

It is tricky, and depends on what the job is, who would be your boss (women bosses dont want football mad men chatting endlessly about saturday's game). at the same time, you dont want forever travelling person, it implies cago uu ku fariisto malahan etc

My CV has no hobbies section (my hobby and life is my job) istaqfurullah

Juxa   

I have not asked anyone about their interest and hobbies for years ( i dhoont keer) but well done for having it done professionally

short and powerful cv is the way forward

Talking about arabic, apart from the computer based "Tell me more" serie by Auralog, this proved quite good:

Mastering Arabic 2.

And yes, you can acquire the very basics in many ways and since there is lots of redundance, the intermediate levels onwards are best.

Arabic grammar is very regular and straightforward up to advanced levels, so should be much of the vocabulary (besides related words derive from a common root: kataba, maktub, maktaba, kaatib from ktb).

Anyway, it all boils down to small but regular practice in whatever form and anyone can pull it (especially with the kind of resources available these days, for free or very little)...

Rahima   

^I've tried a few times to teach myself arabic but they haven't been very successful. Whilst i can read and write, my understanding is not that great and because i don't really have any means of practicing i forget the little understanding i gain after every attempt.

I'm certain that my only chance will be to live in an arabic speaking country.

^Reading (less and less laborious with a bit of time; get a decent bilingual dictionary initially such as the Hans Wehr) or Islamic channels should be enough (was it Sharjah or Shariqah for example? I don't watch TV usually).

the companion website for

Mastering Arabic Series

Suggestions from the same page:

Mini books attractive for the younger ones (or learner).

PS: living in a native country is way overrated, in particular these days; we used to order free sample issues of Time magazine and it's amazing how little interest (plus revision with the Auralog software, which was much cheaper on the other Amazon site) resulted in dramatic change in our English (just force yourself initially and find interesting or engaging practice material).

Funnily I even get free revision from a little watching of the RTD Arabic news lately (or the Djib FM talking to guests).

Haatu   

walaykum salaam wyre.

Why does Juxa call the old man Nucmaan? Is that his name? :D

JB, those cakes you posted look like the ones I used to make in cooking class at school: burnt but icing is used to hide it :D