Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Muslims face forced conversion to secularism in Australia

Khalaf   

Asslaamu Alaykum Brothers and Sisters,

I read this article, and wanted to share it w/ yall since some nomads live in Australia.

Australia's intolerance of Islam and Muslims was seen again last week when a senior government minister said that Muslims who wanted to live under Islamic law had no place in Australia and insisted all immigrants must embrace Australian values. Treasurer Peter Costello who is tipped to be the next Prime Minister, in a speech to the conservative think-tank.

The Sydney Institute said, before entering a mosque visitors are asked to take off their shoes. This is a sign of respect. If you have a strong objection to walking in your socks, don't enter the mosque. Before becoming an Australian you will be asked to subscribe to certain values. If you have strong objections to those values, don't come to Australia. Muslims in Australia have been facing increasing pressure to compromise their noble Islamic values during the past year. After draconian Anti-Terrorism legislation was passed back in November, riots hit Cronulla beach where thousands of Australians practised their Australian values of intolerance and racism attacking anyone who looked Muslim. Many of the rioters wore T-Shirts with ebs out and Ethnic cleansing Unit.

Ironically Australia was established by immigration when Britain colonised Eastern Australia in 1770, establishing it as a Penal Colony. The English Immigrants who arrived on Australia's shores brought with them their intolerant secular values, and did not subscribe to the Australian values of the Aborigines as Costello is demanding of the Muslim immigrants. In fact the combination of European diseases, loss of land and direct violence reduced the indigenous Aboriginal population by an estimated 90% between 1788 and 1900.

Just like the Muslims, Aborigines continue to experience racism and abuse in Australia. Costello's equating of subscribing to Australian values with taking off shoes in a mosque is a distortion to say the least. Muslims in Australia are overwhelmingly law abiding. This is what their Islamic values of respect and shunning criminal acts teaches them. However, obedience to the law that the overwhelming majority of Muslims perform is completely different to them converting to secularism and rejecting Islamic values.

Although secularism is trumpeted as the best system to establish harmony between different religions, in reality secularism is becoming as bad if not worse than those medieval monarchies in Europe that burnt at the stake those who did not subscribe to their Christian beliefs. The price all religions are paying in secular societies is the erosion of their religious values and forced conversions to secularism. The recent legal ruling in America against Christians that Intelligent Design could not be taught alongside Evolution Theory in schools is a stark example of this.

Muslims do not want their religion to become how Christianity has become, where no aspect of their belief is sacred and their religion is open to constant abuse and ridicule. The recent episode with the publishing of insulting cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad (saw), was testing the water on how far the secular states can go in trying to convert Muslims to their belief. The Muslims in Europe and throughout the world unanimously showed their opposition to these cartoons and drew a line in the sand that must not be crossed. However, this intellectual battle must continue as secularism will continue to try and redraw the line until nothing is left of Islam and it becomes just like Christianity. The growing calls for reforming Islam and the holy Quran by the West clearly show this. Those Muslims, who resist this secular conversion in Australia and elsewhere in the West, will face the prospect of deportation, loss of citizenship and imprisonment under Anti-Terrorism legislation. Even so, Muslims must resist calls to abandon their Islamic values in favour of secular values, and moreover engage in an intellectual debate with the wider society on whether secular values are worthy of adoption by non-Muslims let alone Muslims.

The Islamic Caliphate is always attacked as spreading Islam by the sword forcing non-Muslims to convert to Islam and its values. However, unlike secularism the Islamic system deals with different religions in a unique way creating harmony amongst them, enabling them to live in peace with each other as existed in the Caliphate before. Non-Muslims have a citizenship contract with the Caliphate called dhimma. This contract does not require them to give up their religious values. We will not say to non-Muslims in the Caliphate you must adopt Islamic values or leave. Rather the only requirement for non-Muslims is to obey the law of the land outside of their personal lives and worship.

Imam Qarafi (Classical Islamic Scholar) summed up the responsibility of the Caliphate to the dhimmi when he said: It is the responsibility of the Muslims to the People of the Dhimma to care for their weak, fulfil the needs of the poor, feed the hungry, provide clothes, address them politely, and even tolerate their harm even if it was from a neighbour, even though the Muslim would have an upper hand. The Muslims must also advise them sincerely on their affairs and protect them against anyone who tries to hurt them or their family, steal their wealth, or violates their rights.

Source:

KC Journal

As muslims in the states, sure there are problems but America is very diverse and we practice Islam without much problem. Europe/Aust I assume is very different since it is a homogenous continent, I am curious about the nomads who live in EU/Aust, how is the muslim community there and your experiences. Is what we here just hype, or true.

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

Very interesting topic, but i'm just not sure exactly what the Australian govt is asking the Muslims to do....!! Accept Secularism? Are they gonna put them through lie detectors to determine if they really believe it in their hearts or not..!! Exactly what kind of acceptance are they seeking...??

Fii Amaani'Laah

FatB   

walahi the way I see it its a double edged sward. Were as if we want to live here in Australia we must obey the laws and presidents and maintain a semi active involvement in the community (who or what that is I do not no)

Having said that, i do not see any outward provocation, the man is only stating that we must conform to Australian values but not necessarily abandon our own religious convictions. In a world of increasing tension between religions it would only be natural that people in Mr Costello’s position to make comments that on the face blight certain groups (us Muslims) but every on is entitled to their opinion.

What i find disconcerting is that Mr Costello and little Johnny Howard may not fully grasp the fierce pride of us Muslims and our hatred for prejudiced. Primister Howard is misinformed in the best way to handle these tensions, and must soon relies that there are areas were treading lightly is of upmost importance.

I believe Mr Abbott (the guy that looks like the elf form lord of the rings) sum it up nicely "[let’s not stir hatred in the Muslim communities but engage those leaders in dialog and ascertain an outcome that suites both sides]"

Rahima   

Screw Costello and Howard. Their faces annoy me :rolleyes: .

As for Australia and its intolerance- no difference to other western countries. Any Muslim who is thinking of parking in the west permanently with thought of practicing their religion is delusion.

Living in the west is temporary, we should all be making hijrah as soon as possible.

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

Rahima, good points sis....i always agreed with you with the fact that this place is a temporary spot for us and we should definitely leave...but where to is question number one...!! Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the Muslim world is too tiny for us, but where ever you go today injustice is present...!! With that being said, I learned something from a recent AlMaghrib class i took.. ;) ..!! Islam spread in the world in 4 different ways:

1. Muslim traders and merchants doing business with different non-Muslims.

2. 'Ulama and missionaries calling people to Islam or teaching them about Islam.

3. The kings, nobles and elites of a society accepting Islam and influencing the rest to do so.

4. Jihad

We also have to realize that despite the constant attacks and bashing of the Muslims, Islam spreads even faster..!! Allah is really protecting this religion...and Allah also protects the good Muslims...!!

So, let’s not leave and lets build better Muslim communities that are law abiding and truly Islamic...!! May Allah help us insha Allah..Ameen..!!

Fii Amaani'Laah

Jamilah   

Sister Honesita,

Unfortunately sister your suggestion is inapplicable and you cannot have it both ways. Like Costello himself rightly said the sharica law and western law (such as that of Australia) are incompatible. So the reality remains the only means of ensuring that we as Muslims can maintain our Islamic values is the full implementation of our beloved law sent from the Almighty is to practice in an Islamic nation. For some this reality is daunting as they are reluctant to relinquish their illusion of luxury.

Khalaf   

^^^^Exactly sister Jamilah. Secular law and Islamic law are not the same, infact are in battle.

I was discussing this issue with friends at campus, how do we as muslims in 21st century live according to the way of Shariah, and is that possible, and if so how do we bring it to a reality.

I read somewhere by shiek I will try to find source inshaAllah-he said muslims must make hijra to islamic land, and can't live in non-muslim nation, agree to their ways, adopt to their way ect-he said it was form of sheirk (Allah knows best).

PS: At the University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign, the MSA is hosting a topic similar to this-about applying the shariah in contemporary times. Its March 31-April 2nd. For more info: MSA

please do join us, if u are in that area JZK.

Haneefah   

^Subhanallah. Was the shaikh in his right frame of mind? What part of living in the west did he say constitutes shirk exactly? Ya Allah! Besides, does living in the west mean that one will most certainly adopt their secular values and abandon their religious convictions?

Jamila sis, I hope you're not under the impression that there's a nation in this world that enforces Islamic Sharia in its entirety. Of course, there are very few (maybe one) that comes close, but not completely. Not to mention, the fact that some so called Muslim nations actually oppose the Islamic sharia whilst corruption, oppression and injustice is ever more pervasive in these very lands.

Sis Honesita, I agree! Personally, I'm very much against (and quite frankly, sick and tired of) this popular sentiment of 'we need to make hijra to a muslim nation' among some Muslims in the west, blaming every single shortcoming of theirs on the west by trying to justify their inability to uphold Islamic values/morals and living the required Islamic life. Even more baffling is the fact that some scholars are proudly reinforcing this mentality and confusing the heck out of some rather oblivious Muslims, instead of trying to facilitate ways in which people can improve and cope with their lives here. What they should be doing instead is (and many other scholars are doing this alhamdulilah) reviving basic Islamic teachings and pushing Muslims to learn their religion, to become students of knowledge and make hijra to the Muslim world only to acquire sacred Islamic knowledge, to aim for piety and righteousness as well as inviting others to the way of Allah (SWT) and His beloved messenger (SAW).

Of course, it goes without saying that the Muslims in the west endure many hardships, esp post the recent rise of Islamophobia within the past couple of years. However, this by no means shouldn't discourage us from becoming more steadfast and continuing our lives here while struggling in the way of Allah (swt). I realize that this is easier said than done, especially since the environment may not be too conducive, nevertheless, this is the essence of personal jihad; withstanding all the pressures and difficulties patiently for the sake of Allah (swt) while striving to forbid evil and enjoin goodness. However, by opting to move and seek a country where Muslims are the majority (not necessarily with entact Islamic sharia), one is only taking the easy route out! Having said that, Allah does not burden a soul more than it can bear, therefore, those who find it overwhelmingly painful to live in these lands are more than free to pack their bags, but it should be out of their own will and they shouldn't be convinced that it's an obligation on their part.

I recently did a seminar covering this issue (contemporary issues for Muslims in the west) in depth with prominent scholars from different parts of the world alhamdulilah, and the crux of the whole seminar which all the shayukh agreed upon was that we-the Muslims of the west-should stop allowing ourselves to be dormant and alienated in these societies: we should engage in mainstream society (be willing to partake in higher positions within dominant culture, getting involved in politics, voting, building bridges, institutions, teaching the aims and purposes of our religion), making a difference. Furthermore, the most important goal should be to aim to indigenize Islam in these lands by inviting people to Islam and testifying our moral upright (living Islam) which will not be very effective if we maintain this 'alien' status. I might post my detailed notes some time Insha'Allah, if time permits.

N.O.R.F   

Somalis are in a different position to most muslims as we do not have an ISlamic country to go to. Would we all be in the West if the Middle Eastern countries accepted us? No.

Therefore, to simply say one must make Hijrah is little off of the mark. Living in a muslim country on a permanent visa (whether you have a job or not) and with free education for your children is far better than a residence visa which requires you to have a sponsor-your employer. At the end of your tenure, you are no longer eligable to stay.

The only time Somalis can make hijrah is when there is a govenment there, when passports are recognised again, when there is peace and prosperity. This will enable us to live not only back home, but also in the Arab countries. Until then, we must put up with it.

Jamilah   

Abraar,

I really pondered on the message you were trying to convey and to an extent understood where you were coming from, but ultimately I must dismiss what you said as a case of preferring to maintain an illusion of luxury.

Jamila sis, I hope you're not under the impression that there's a nation in this world that enforces Islamic Sharia in its entirety. Of course, there are very few (maybe one) that comes close, but not completely. Not to mention, the fact that some so called Muslim nations actually oppose the Islamic sharia whilst corruption, oppression and injustice is ever more pervasive in these very lands.

What is this, the all or none law? If all the sharica is not impeccably implemented than the west it is !. Seems like a naive notion to me.

blaming every single shortcoming of theirs on the west by trying to justify their inability to uphold Islamic values/morals and living the required Islamic life

I came to a non-muslim country at the age of four and do not blame my circumstances on anybody, I am (Alxamdulillah) extremely grateful of all the opportunities I have been exposed to. But, sadly that does not change anything. Although I acknowlege I am completly accountable for my actions, this is not the kind of environment where I would like to start a family (when the time comes; Inshallah).

Allah does not burden a soul more than it can bear, therefore, those who find it overwhelmingly painful to live in these lands are more than free to pack their bags, but it should be out of their own will and they shouldn't be convinced that it's an obligation on their part.

I do not plan to refute what you re saying here, it all seems logical. But once again, you oversimplify the reality. I think of my daily routinue and by all means do not feel burdened by it. But as a Somali proverb goes Qofaan waxa soosocday garan waxa jooga ma garto. So i guess anticipating the future is what makes me slightly uneasy.

Northerner,

Somalis are in a different position to most muslims as we do not have an ISlamic country to go to.

Seems a little too convenient to me. Poor Somali people have no where to go, what must do they do?

Jamilah   

AbdulNoor,

PS: At the University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign, the MSA is hosting a topic similar to this-about applying the shariah in contemporary times. Its March 31-April 2nd. For more info: MSA

please do join us, if u are in that area JZK.

Thanks brother for the invitaion. If I manage to find a muxram to accompany me to America for this seminar you mentioned along with the permission of my parents of course, I might just make an appearance.

Khalaf   

^^^LOL :D sister Jamilah, it was general invitation to anyone in that area.

Abraar excellent points walalshiis, especially your last statement, that we must become active participants in the communities we live in. When we look at the earlier muslims, they traveled throughout the world and came in contact with different cultures, religions, ideals, however they never compromised islam and held to their traditions strongly, while at the same time becoming active members of those societies and change those societies for the better. We have to follow that example, the question I struggle with is why we don't, we have the Qu'ran and the Sunnah.

As for living in non-muslims lands or any land for that matter most scholars agree its not problem, granted you are not persecuted for Islam, if that is the case then hijra to land where u can practice islam freely, that is what the muslims did when they went from mecca to Abyssinia a christian country.

InshaAllah Abraar do share your notes in the future. Salaam

Khayr   

This all reminds me of the hadith that indicates that the Dunya is the Prison of the Believer and the Jannah of the NonBeliever/Kafir.

Caught btwn a rock and a hardplace, as the saying goes.

juba   

hijrah is nice and all but consider why all these muslims are in the West in the first place? Muslims fleeing their oppressive and corrupt nations are experiencing free education, healthcare, welfare things that would never be given to them in their muslim countries.

it's very sad to see that the supposedly "evil" West treats some Muslims better than Islamic countries.

once the Umma changes its ways and goes back to the basics of Islam (and get rid of corrupt leaders) maybe then Hijrah is plausible