Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy

Build your own Server

peasant   

interesting steps indeed. only if i could afford a static ip i would dream erecting a server someday but too bad that isnt today. Hopefully in the future though..

Originally posted by peasant:

interesting steps indeed. only if i could afford a static ip i would dream erecting a server someday but too bad that isnt today. Hopefully in the future though..

there are a bunch of services which provide you with a free dynamic dns - i.e. your ip changes, they change where your hostname points to - typically it is just a small script that runs on your machine and sends you current ip address to the hostname holder. anyhow check these out http://www.opendns.c om/support/dynamic_i p/, and http://www.dyndns.co m/services/dns/dyndn s/

The static IP is not the only barrier to entry to running a server.

most if not all residential internet connections are completely unsuitable for upstream traffic.

I have a 10 mbps downstream / 0.5 mbps upstream

it is specifically traffic engineered for maximum downloads minimal uploads .. for the purpose of discouraging people from running servers on residential connections.

With max uploading capability and no further restrictions it is easy & simple and can be achieved however, from biz point of view if ppl were to allow running their own servers from their bedrooms all these big companies would go bust revenue lost, jobs lost & security risks!