Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Program problems

SeeKer   

I have a burned copy of rosetta stone program that i was given. It has all the languages and all levels. The problem is that it works on PC but it won't work on a mac. Does anyone know how I can get around this?

Disclaimer: I don't use a mac

Macs now run on a x86 platform .. so you should be able to run a virtual machine (Vmware, Virtual Box ) in the Mac OS environment that runs a copy of windows and install the app (rosetta stone) on the virtual machine.

SeeKer   

^^ Ok I sorta understand what you wrote but why don't i just buy a copy of windows and install it on a mac they do have those you know, or won't that work?

Ps:- consider me sorta completely clueless when it comes to programs my expertise is amateurish at best. Make the advise understandable please.

hmm .. well Im not a mac user so you will have to fill in some of the blanks.

this is a common problem .. because many critical applications are desined to run only on a windows systems e.g AutoCad the usual solution is to purchase a copy of windows and install a "Virtualization program" on your machine such as Vmware or Virtual Box ... they will allow you to run one operating system ontop of another transparently.

You have a mac you install a virtual machine .. which is like a completely separate computer running on top of your existing system you assign hardware resources like some portion of memory, hard disk .. and you can logically tether it to your physical network card so that it can also have an internet connection to the outside world.

once you have setup this virtual computer within your system you must install windows on it and then install your applications on the virtual machine.

it is like running two computers at a time one is physical and hosts the other virtual one

SeeKer   

You both seem to want me to install windows on my mac. I just have to buy the mac version of windows and I can install it. Then try working the program under that?

My mac is about 6 months old and I am still adjusting to using it even though once in a while i rush back to my PC.

Cara.   

According to this, the program should already work on a Mac. Do you have an old version of the software, or a really old Mac? Does your computer meet the minimum system requirements?

SeeKer   

Lol Cara it should work if I paid 5K for it but I didn't this is a burned copy from a friend. I have used it before and it works fine but just on the PC once I put it in my mac it refuses to load.

seeker, there is no mac version of windows, there's windows os and there's mac os. Sense the mac can run both operating systems, install both of them, therefore, you can use all your mac based apps but if their are certain ones that you need that don't run on mac os, you use your windows os. other then that its not a problem with the operating system but with the cd itself.

peasant   

Seeker install parallels on your mac and you can install windows on top of the mac as a guest operating system. That is what i do to run windows xp on my macbook and it is wonderful application once you get hang of it.

just mac alone your cd should work as most of cds are now days made with flash programming that works with multiple platforms..

SeeKer   

^^Help arrives in the form of a prose. How quaint. Nice to see William still resides in England. Plus I didn't snatch rosetta it was given to me by someone who never used it. icon_razz.gif

**leaves wondering why none of them don't speak in lame man's terms**