Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

website help!

dear peepz in the know, i need your help!

i know nothing about websites/content management and all those complicated things.. actually, that is an exaggeration, I know less than nothing!

I own a domain, with space and etc, and i want the following:

1. a simple content management type thing- as in i tell it to do that, it asks no questions and does it.(i.e. i've hated rich text edits of wordpress in the past they never did what you tell them and wouldn't render html and blah)

2. private calendar, that i can share with peepz and synchronise with my laptop and phone

3. mail - i want to host my own email - imap preferably and to be able to download it my laptop and etc.

4. subversion support -- for my work -- also this must support public and private profiles

my webhost offers the following one click installs (ha! like that helps when you have no idea) http://wiki.dreamhos t.com/One_Click_Inst alls --

can anybody please help and suggest the right cobbling up of free software to achieve to do these things?

muchos gracias

ok seriously .. how in the world do people actually follow instructions for setting up web things.. in all honesty i'm half tempted to write my own apps to do the 'effin job..

case in hand, read the following paragraph and see if you can decipher what it means for dummies like me!

Installation

Your dedicated svn sub-domain will not serve WebSVN. It's reserved for svn by DreamHost's dedicated Apache2 process. Install WebSVN in a standard sub-domain, and protect it if necessary with a .htaccess file, then configure it to point to a remote repository at your Dreamhost SVN location.

http://wiki.dreamhos t.com/WebSVN

peasant   

Caano Geel i am not familiar with the svn business but i will help you with some of the content management issues. First in your oneclick installs you have joomla which is a popular cms just like word press but even better as a lot of people claim it but i personally did not use wordpress before. Your next step is to hunt for decent free Joomla templates and you can find through google or visit directly http://www.joomla24. com they have pretty good collection. Also if money is not an issue you can purchase nice joomla template off the net and make sure your templates supports joomla 1.5 as that is the current version of joomla.

Once you decide what template to use depending on your own liking. Then you will need to do some alteration to it in terms of the logo you would want to have on your site etc. Normally you unzip the template file and you locate the logo or the banner in the images directory and you replace em with your logo and etc. afterwards rezip the file because joomla requires the template to be in zip format for installs. make sure the replace images have the same dimensions of the previous once and match the background color etc or make gif file with no background. You can also change the file extension of the logo image from the styles.css file in the css directory of the template if in case your logo file has a different file extension than theirs.

Before you install the template it is good idea to familiarize your self with joomla and how to install templates and etc. There is a lot of how to videos of joomla on youtube and etc.

About the private calander issues. The good thing about joomla is that you can find a lot of neat extensions which you can incorporate into your site with out the know hows of web coding. So visit http://www.joomla.or g , click extensions, browse through under calendars and choose the one you think will achieve your goals.

For the email part. As far as i know it is a host specific thing and most of the web hosts have instructions of how to setup POP or IMAP and probably it is good idea to check with your host if they support or not.

Oh i forgot to mention it to you at joomla24.com the templates on the display have their contents and menus on german language and dont worry about it because the template is not language specific and once you install to your web site it will be english again.

I hope this solves some of the issues. best luck

thank you P. much appreciated. I did manage to set up websvn .. though i still can't get it to do exactly what i'm after.

So joomla it is then, i'll set it next week and report back

thanks again

Dhubad.   

Caano Geel,

I would say go for Joomla, it is so powerful and easy to install. It does all the things you have listed above plus more, for example if you want to incorporate your google calendar onto your website all you have to do is install free modules/plugging(sma ll programs) from Joomla websites and you are ready to go!

Let us know how you got on with the installation and setting up webserver locally.

Good luck.