Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy

Rise of the netbooks

Do any Nomad use netbooks? you think they pointless and people should stick to laptops/desktops ? share your opinion.

This is a little background about netbooks how it started with onelaptopperchild campaign to literally everyone..

Mary Lou Jepsen didn't set out to invent the netbook and turn the computer industry upside down. She was just trying to create a supercheap laptop. In 2005, Jepsen, a pioneering LCD screen designer, was tapped to lead the development of the machine that would become known as One Laptop per Child. Nicholas Negroponte, the longtime MIT Media Lab visionary, launched the project hoping to create an inexpensive computer for children in developing countries. It would have Wi-Fi, a color screen, and a full keyboard—and sell for about $100. At that price, third-world governments could buy millions and hand them out freely in rural villages. Plus, it had to be small, incredibly rugged, and able to run on minimal power. "Half of the world's children have no regular access to electricity," Jepsen points out.

read more

so it was born from the OLPC thingy. i have seen them in stores and on YouTube. they seem too small, and you can't do everything you can do on a normal laptop.

I have an Acer netbook.

If only they could fit an optical drive on it, I would get rid of my laptop.

They are just as powerful as a laptop computer .. for everyday tasks with the benefit of being lighter and much cheaper.

I think it is a great idea, many people do nothing on their laptops other than browse the net ... you can spend around $400 instead of $1000-$2000.

peasant   

I personally would stick with a small notebook that is versatile enough to allow me run various apps. I mean now days laptops are getting small too and they are getting very powerful as well, so what is the point of having a machine made for a single task. If want just internet, I could serve the net with apple ipod touch provided there is a close wifi signal.