Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg

Archaeology

Chimera   

The ones i know:

Osman Yusuf Mohamed - Prehistory

Ahmed Dualeh Jama - Islamic and pre-islamic

Sada Mire - Entire History

Sa'id Warsame - Entire History

there are also a dozen other nomads who were part of several Somali archaeology institutions such as 'Elf Somalia' and 'Somali Archaeology Research Unit'

Somalia does have the worst record when it comes archaeology but it has the most potential in sub saharan Africa, if it really one day took off insha-allah

My website is almost finished which will probably blow you away(i saw your blasphemous comment about Somali culture), here are a few interesting facts:

FACT #1: Somalia has more than 40 ancient ruined stone cities, the highest number in Africa

FACT #2: Somalia has the highest number of Castles and Fortifications in Africa( one good example is; if you have Google Earth, type in 'Botiala Fort' and see how gigantic this fortress dating from the Bari Kingdoms era is.)

take care.

Geeljire

That's impressive, good for her. I've always wanted to study archeology, but there is no money in it, and not that many schools. Thanks.

Adam -Zayla

Thanks for the information saxiib. Well, somali culture today is what I'm referring to as, it does seem like we've burrowed a lot from other cultures. But pre-islamic somalia was interesting.

Did you know that Xaafun is the ancient trade center of opone, apparently there was excavation done in the 70's by british archeologists, and they found broken pottery thought to be dated around greek times.

I will PM you the work done by the professor if your interested.

ElPunto   

^He probably has it already and can tell you all about it :D

Let us know when the website goes up Adam - I would be very interested.

Hmmm about the ruins and castles - interesting - but we're not talking about Great Zimbabwe or Petra here are we?

Chimera   

I know they found Pottery from the Mycenaean times(1600 BC - 1100BC)which shows how International the Ancient Somali traders allready were by that time, which also coincides with the Puntite Kingdom era and it's trade with Ancient Egypt

I disagree about your comment on Somali culture which is rich in originality, the Brits use the latin script but that doesn't make them inferior to Armenians who devised their own script. It's how you use those writing systems that counts and when you see the list of Somali scholars - ancient and modern - you will understand my point

Do send me the info sxb it might come in handy.

Geeljire - seriously Somalia has a dozen 'Great Zimbabwe's' known as Nuragi's and the Island stone city of Gondereshe can easily compete with Petra if it got the same proper care

I've been saying this for years, that Ancient Somalia's history is as old as time itself. You must remember biblical & koranic events have truth to it as does mythologies from the world over. An example is the story of Kham (Ham) the son of Noah/Nuh, said to be his youngest. It is this man who founded a great empire he named Kham (Kmt), of course it being his eponymous, it being the Ancient Egyptian name for "Red Land", which if you look at Somalia fits very well. His sons were four in number, Kush (Western Somalia, all of Southern Somalia including the East & Central parts of Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, & Ethiopia), Phut "The Land of Punt" (All of Northern Somalia, Djibouti, & Eritrea), Mizraim (Mizr), & Canaan. These sons were born and bred in the land of "Kham" their father's empire, Kush ruled over the "The Land of Kush", Phut ruled the "Land of Punt" his descendants were the Berbers/Libyans (originally from Somalia). Mizraim ruled in "The Land of Mizr" and Canaan was the father of the Canaanites. You must understand why the Somalis and Yemenis are so alike, because a part of King Kush's peoples & descendants left the Somali Coast to go to Yemen, and thus they are Kushites who were then conquered by Shem's descendants. The other half left in the other direction West while the Kushites who went East founded Yemen's first ancient spice kingdoms the other half who left for the West settled in what is now Sudan, they called it after their founder the "Kigdom of Kush". If you need more info just ask..