Sign in to follow this  
Urban

New windows installation - no sound. urgent help needed!

Urban   

Salaam everyone.

My PC was working fine until Windows had to be reinstalled. But the person who did it never installed the sound driver, and now I don't have any sound from my PC.

I'm not exactly sure what to do here (or which term to search for in google) so please if you know how to fix this problem let me know.

Computer;

-windows xp pro sp3

Mother board;

-CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon XP, 1833 MHz (11 x 167) 2500+

-MOTHERBOARD NAME: MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR (MS-6570G) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 ACR, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)

-Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400

I need to fix this problem asap.

Thanks.

Oz   

I would suggest you to install or download your audio driver again.

Basically go to download.com or google search bar and type in drivers download.

It may ask your pc's model name and all so give in the required information or if you have the driver CD just install it.

hopefully this helps.

Urban   

I figured out what to do right after posting the thread.. the answer was right there staring at me. I downloaded a AC97 driver from realtec and installed the package.

But thanks for the reply.

Problem solved.

Miriam1   

Funny Urban, I have been having the same problem with my PC. But the realtek package did not work for me, I get an error msg that says the software is not compitable with Windows!?

Heh. It could be a hardware problem

Urban   

Hi Hayam. Did your sound stop working after a windows format as well?

One way to check if it's a driver problem is to go to the device manager and look for the 'audio and sound' group, if there a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

If not, then maybe your speaker/headphone socket is faulty. I managed to fix mine by reading yahoo answers and pc forums.

peasant   

Hayam I would say first verify the sound chipset on your board. Too many times board manufectures use different chipsets on a single model of their motherboards. Once you pin point model and maker the rest is easy..

First, If your sound card is a built in, then you should open the box, then read the label on the sound chipset. Most of the times it is located right close to the speaker/headphone sockets. Look for popular sound chipset manufacture labels like "Creative", "Cmedia", "AD1980" and etc, if none is there plug what ever info you find on the chipset on google, most of the times, it leads to the manufacturer's website. You can also plug the label info on www.driverguide.com, they have large database of drivers. Non-built in sound cards ie PCI, should be easy to find since there is only single prominent chipset on the card usually.

If all that does not work and you have empty PCI slot then buy your self a healthy sound card and plug it in there. you can find a decent one around $25 and comes with drivers, manuals and etc.