Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy

Google new browser - Chrome -

I followed until the end but nothing came out. I found the beta version on the first page and managed to download though.

Lemme install and see bal

nuune   

Naah, prefer IE-8, this Chrome is no different from IE-7, I have the Chrome and using it, and it is nice, lightweight, and romantic too smile.gif

me   

I rather use opera.

There is a conflict between google and microsoft because microsoft's latest browser blocks google from tracting out surfing behaviour.

With this chrome, google can track your surfing behaviour.

^ Google has a feature in their new browser to address that point it's called surfing incognito

219231-436-688.png

but i would take it with a grain of salt, because their entire business model is based on stats collected from their users.

Dhubad.   

^^^I have been using it for 10 minutes now and I noticed its a lot faster than Firefox 3.

And it has some new features too that can not be found on other Browsers .....so far so good.

Astute Reg readers have pointed out a Chrome condition of service that effectively lets Google use any of your copyrighted material posted to the web via Chrome without paying you a cent.

Here's the relevant section 11.1 of the Chrome EULA:

11. Content licence from you 11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Granting Google 'a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through' Chrome is coming it rich.

Suppose Google does this to material you have posted that's not yours? No problem. It has a get-out-of-jail card signed by you in section 11.4 of the EULA:

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

But you may be posting material via Chrome to your employer's site and it owns the copyright of anything you create in work time. What then if Google adapts, modifies and distributes it? Your fan has brown stuff all over it but none of it sticks to Google.

source: El reg

^ somehow i was expecting something along those lines from Google .. indhadayg iyo badh :D

what surprises me is that they are still able to get away with so much ... if you look at the EULA for gmail and their other services.. they can effectively hold you hostage with your own data !

Recently they have been pushing 'cloud computing' but with stuff like this .. who is going to trust them ?

thanks for the heads up CG !

Cara.   

Seriously? If I checked my work email using Chrome and downloaded a PDF containing confidential work Google could lay claim to it?

And SOL comments? Are they the property of Google? But I planned to collect all my wit and wisdom into a book someday!

^ :D put a copyright notice in your sig .. but only on the witty stuff.

it is being reported that they copied and pasted the EULA (end user license agreement)from their 'Google Apps' without removing parts which are not relevant to the browser... this is just too unreasonable even for them.

google_apps.jpg

^ all those conditions still apply to anyone using these programs.

Worry not. Read on.

Google Amends Chrome License Agreement After Objections

Google will dump a section of the licensing agreement for its new Chrome browser after some Internet users objected to its copyright implications.

Google said Wednesday it would dump one section of the end-user licensing agreement that gave the company "a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through" the new browser.

Several Web users raised copyright and privacy concerns about portions of the licensing agreement shortly after Google launched Chrome Tuesday. Some critics suggested the language would allow Google to use any Web content displayed in Chrome without getting copyright permission.

Google said it borrowed language from other products, "in order to keep things simple for our users," when it inserted the copyright provision in the Chrome license.

"Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product," Rebecca Ward, senior product counsel for Chrome, said in a statement. "We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

In addition to the perpetual copyright granted to Google in section 11, the license allowed the company to "make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services."

That language comes from Google's universal terms of service, the company said.

The wording lead to a copyright debate on Slashdot.org, although one poster noted that Slashdot's parent company, SourceForge, uses similar language in some license agreements. Florida lawyer David Loschiavo dissected the Google licensing agreement in his own blog post.

"In other words, by posting anything (via Chrome) to your blog(s), any forum, video site, myspace, itunes, or any other site that might happen to be supporting you, Google can use your work without paying you a dime," Loschiavo wrote."It applies to everything you pass through Chrome. Google can take your submitted content and edit and reuse it all they want, as long as they do so in connection with Chrome."

The license agreement seemed to assume that Web users had ownership of all the content they produced and displayed through Chrome, he added. Employees of Web publishers or universities probably couldn't legally agree to the Chrome terms of service, "because these people most likely don't have the right to give a license to the intellectual property (IP) they produce," Loschiavo wrote. "Most likely your employee or student agreement requires that your employer/university exclusively owns all IP that you make during your time there."

Web content creators, such as news writers and musicians employed by a company, may have been in breach of their employment contracts had they agreed to the Google license, he said. "Further, you probably can't use your company or school email with Chrome, because your company probably exclusively owns your email, and you can't give away a license to something you don't own," Loschiavo wrote. "You also can't make representations to Google that you have the power to license this IP if you don't."

Other companies have attempted to use similar language in Web-based products, including Microsoft and AOL for their instant messaging products, Loschiavo said. Those attempts raised objections as well, he said.