Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Life after uni

chubacka   

Hello Students...thought this was an interesting article and gives a true account of what to expect after good ole uni.

Prepare urselves for the outside world and inshallah save urself a lot of time and trouble.

As Malcolm X said "Tomorrow belongs to the one who prepares for it!"

All the best.

Not promoting the website (have not been there myself only read the article and found it interesting)

When you graduate there will be 10,000 other students graduating at the same time. London does not boast as many jobs available as there are seekers. Statistically some 25% of graduates will get employment within the first year. The remaining 75% will continue to search for employment for another year, and many even succumb to mediocre employment in retail shops, or try and approach large retail companies for supervisory/management positions or even government jobs such as the NHS, with the average salary being around £15,000 pa.

As an under-graduate, you are primed to believe you will be earning £25,000 pa and above after graduation. Think again! Very few get that opportunity. It is fierce competition in the business world, and companies will only select the very best.

What is the very best? And what do Employers want?

Intelligence and a first class degree does not promise you a secure high flying career. Chances are you will not get what you want. After graduation, during the first 2 years, chances are you will change your career focus three times or more.

Most under-graduates take it for granted that once they graduate with a top degree they will land on a job with a high paid salary.

Wrong!

You don't have anything special/unique to offer any company. There are thousands of others out there just like you. So you need to give yourself that edge.

As cruel as it may sound, employees perceive graduates as textbooks with little initiative and no business acumen.

Employers want experience.

You will inevitably apply for a graduate trainee position during your final year. These trainee programmes are not easy to get onto. Even then they ask for work experience.

To employers, the very best employees demonstrate the following traits:

a) Strong learning abilities (your degree)

b) Have work experience which demonstrates you are able to apply your skills and knowledge effectively (which you don't have)

This is the very best. People who can satisfy these two criteria's with the correct skills have the best chances in the real world.

The moral is you NEED WORK EXPERIENCE

This is where you can give yourself the edge by working with us.

Job Offer

At De Vere Private Equity, we are using our G Programme as a vehicle to recruit new permanent staff. We are a growing company with many projects in the pipeline. For these projects we will require young, proactive and determined individuals. Whilst on our G Programme, you will be closely monitored for your performance, capabilities, drive and determination, to assess if we can offer you a job. Already we have Trainees being promoted to full time salary paid positions. The next one could be you..

Please visit out Website for FULL INFORMATION

www.dvpe.co.uk

Spaces are limited please register straight away to give yourself the opportunity of an interview.

www.dvpe.co.uk

Don't ever listen to stats and newspapers. Ignore them, do not register them in your mind. Go out there and presevere. Knock every door and if you have to knock it down to get access.

a few nuggets

-there is a false perception about uni degress .. Your degree will only get you an interview, if you cant show that you know your stuff your not going anywhere fast. and it will only come in handy when being considered for a management position.

- be prepared to start at the bottom .... you will rise faster than your non-uni educated colleuge's but you will have to start at the bottom.

- you have to be responsible unlike the academic world your time costs money to your company ... if you miss a deadline on a project you dont get imaginary marks deducted .. your company loses $$$

ANTARA   

Salaan sare saxibayaal,

"One should talk about Somalia Student' Life after Uni in Asia.

Very disappointed!!"

^^ I couldn't agree more with yaabka, those studying in the west are very lucky in comparison, all you have to do is get your first class and you are bound to find a job sooner or later(with some luck).

But getting used to life after uni as in working 9-5 with only 20 days holioday for the whole year will definitly be a challenge for me.

If you have a degree in social sciences or some other nonsense than the chances of you landing a job are slim.

That's why somali's should stick to the engineering, nursing and other professional degree where there's a better chance of getting employment. But there are never guarantee's for getting employment.

I'm graduating this year, and inshallah I'l find a suitable job.

^ :D ... I guarantee you that phase will pass.

many social sciences degrees are really good, your point only applies to something like a degree in fashion design.

We used to have very silly arguments between Electrical Engineers and Electronic Engineers who was better, lol most people don't even know that there is a difference between the two.

Same thing with my friends from Mathematics, Pure Mathematics were on top, then came Applied, at the bottom were statisticians.

Engineering is a heavily regulated industry in the west, getting the engineering license is much more difficult than the actual degree.good luck !

peasant   

University is much more than a degree and only about 12% of the grads land in job that involves what have they actually studied in school. The rest end up something different or somewhat close to what they have studied. If you are not developing in terms of creativity, remember you are wasting a precious dollars..

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

^
:D
... I guarantee you that phase will pass.

many social sciences degrees are really good, your point only applies to something like a degree in fashion design.

We used to have very silly arguments between Electrical Engineers and Electronic Engineers who was better, lol most people don't even know that there is a difference between the two.

Same thing with my friends from Mathematics, Pure Mathematics were on top, then came Applied, at the bottom were statisticians.

Engineering is a heavily regulated industry in the west, getting the engineering license is much more difficult than the actual degree.good luck !

I'm not knocking the social sciences. But realistically speaking, there are no practical applications for it.

Actually it's not that difficult to get an engineering license where I'm at, the difficult part is getting an actual job, because with a certain amount of experience you can get your license and you only have to do one exam.

Buuxo   

Finding a job after uni ,was the easiest thing for me. The hard part was finishing the degree.The interview was a joke actually, i have done more intense interviews to become a dishwasher in local cafe.I was kind of disappointed.But I shall say Alhamdulilah.

Super that is the catch.

without the job and by extension the experience you don't get the license.

and most jobs are looking for licensed engineers.

which makes getting the license for new graduates very challenging, if you don't get a job within your field within a year of graduating most people just give up.

Geel_jire

yea that's the catch 22, most companies do hire engineers in training, but it's competitive. I'm regretting not doing an internship.

But graduate school is always an option, though for engineering there is not a whole lot of difference between a masters and a bachelors.

Laba-X   

Majority of Somali graduates in London are either Bus drivers, unemployed or doing some retail stuff to make ends meet. I know so many graduates whose Firct Class degrees are collecting dust on their shelves.

The main thing as Chubaka mentioned is Experience - without it you and your degree are worth nothing (especially if you're competeing against thousands of 'white' candidates - believe me recruitment is highly selective in many firms)

I strongly urge anyone at uni to do as much work experience (paid or unpaid) as you can during your penultimate year - that helps alot as you need to build a portfolio and show your prospective employers that you are someone with a keen interest in your field...

Good Luck...