Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Just a tip!

Chimera   

Elo!

A victim of a virus-attack logically will try to get rid of the virus, some do a 'system restore' and make the computer return to a previous good configuration and others do a 'system recovery'. If you do the latter know this - it's a whole new platform - but the thing you have to be carefull for is; though the damn program tells you nothing will happen to your files, in most cases you will end up with all your work deleted. Therefore make sure all your important documents and images are stored in USB's or floppy disks before you do a system recovery

:(

Urban   

Sh!t Adam, sorry to read about your lost work (I'm assuming that's what happened?)

I always use system restore/recovery, I don't know which one it is, but I have this tool in my PC called 'Undo MyPC', which like you mentioned above, restores your PC's condition to a previously saved state, usually when's it's virus free. That tool saved my computer on so many occasions.

On the setting, I only select 'Drive C' to be affected by the restore, cuz usually a virus attacks the system files, so if you keep all your personal files in drive D, they should be safe.

Having said that, I still use an external hard disk as backup.

Has your 'project' been affected by this?

Chimera   

yeah brutally affected, got me really down for a while cause i was almost finished, i don't know if young people can have heart attacks but what i felt when i discovered everything was gone was probably the closest thing to it - i was schocked - but i know a person who knows how to get it all back by running a 'recover files program' (that's how the police catches criminals cause deleted material is still somewhere in your hard-disk)

i'm not allowed to touch anything for the time being (but i am on cloud 9 at the moment after hearing that good news :D )

Urban   

lol, that's alright then. Well Inshallah you'll get them back.

(One more reason for me to procrastinate doing that picture for a few more days)

nuune   

It is also good when you are doing the total system recovery, and you desperately want your files and documents not to be lost, knowing that you would lose them, all you have to do to get your files/documents back and access it after the recovery,

do this while doing the recovery,

rename where you want the operating system to be instaleld or saved, if it was WINDWS, delete it, and type any name, that means you will end up having 2 operating systems in one machine.

Once the recovery takes place and everything is finished, your old files/documents would be located in the C-drive.

Nothing is lost, you can access all your work, but be carefull, you are logged in to 2 operating system which are identical, one which was corrupted, and the new one you created from the recovery, but there is no conflict between the 2 OS, all you are doing is accessing the old crashed one from the new one you just created.

lol conspiracy, Windows supposed to be Productive platform but most of my time i spend on fighting

Viruses, Infections, Spywares, Trojans and Adwares.

Adam i feel your pain, i hope you get back your data

Originally posted by shirwa_24:

Virses,
I
nfections,
S
pyware,
T
rojans and
A
dware.

loooooooooooooooooooooooool@VISTA ,,,,,,,,, :D

Zalya, There was a possibility that you could have unformatted the HDD and got it back.

Windows and viruses are more or less synonymous. Think mac!

Delilah   

I truly hate spyware, it comes at you out of nowhere. I am currently making battle with it, but it looks like I shall lose the war also. I've downloaded web-defender...err, defends nothing mind you! My laptop won't let me restore because it claims it was not turned on, dammit! So can y'all make any suggestions. If not, i'm just going to have to erase everything from the hand-drive and install it all again. blah :(

^ I dont know this web-defender product you mentioned but what I do know is that most of these so-called antivirus/anitspyware products that freely available on the net are the main culprits behind all these, instead of helping they actually planting/seeding problems into your system. I would say go and get Windows Live OneCare from Microsoft. Get the 90-day trial free and see it for yourself. Really good. Now let me explain to you why I recommending you to this, lets say you have a Ferrari and you have problems with your car, the Ferrari alright so imagine you got some mechanical problems with your Ferrari, would you take it to Mazda or Honda dealer to help you out or to Ferrari dealer, the creator of your car. I think the latter is the ultimate answer to your car problems. Similar to that Microsoft's Live OneCare is the answer to your all Windows problems.

Delilah   

^ I actually just deleted everything and programmed Microsoft Vista...much better,alhumdullilah. Before, it seemed it was beyond repair and i noticed everytime i downloaded some webdefender it would actually add more spyware and adware to my computer. Solution= start all over smile.gif

Dhubad.   

I found Helix (Helix focuses on Incident Response & Forensics tools)to be very useful, it lets you recover your data back even if you delete them.

If your OS is corrupt you can still use the CD to boot and access your data.

Your can download the iso image from Here and its Free.