Sign in to follow this  
shirwa_24

VMware server

Virtualization is hot topic now days. Virtualization lets you host multiple operating systems and multiple applications under one host operating system. Virtualizing all your lab or production servers is the way to go now days, it has many benifits specially if you are network student and you want to play around and practise with different OS and applications. with 1 Core 2 Duo machine with 2-3 GB ram, you can Virtualize 5+ machines. i created screancast on how to install vmware server on ubuntu server. i found vmware server performance more under linux. vmware server cames with client console which allows you to manage vmware server remotely on windows or linux machine.

Video Link

Video Download Link

^ I have been using Vmware products for the last 3 years and it is really great i heard about the ms virtual pc but i have not used it yet.

i use Vmware server to create the OS images but Vmware player to run them on different machines ... it is much lighter ( in terms of resources )

my configuration is reverse ... i have linux running on vmware images on top of winxp and vists .. because of lack wlan support for the linux.

Vmware is products are great, check out also if you can Sun VirtualBox, its great, fast, its light on resource. new feature i like about VirtualBox is seamless mode, which allows you to run individual windows applications from a virtual environment seamlessly on your native desktop.

2483240427_d960a2da26_o_d.png

I normally just use parallels on my mac ice ad light weight but for linux just suse native Xen does the trick!

I heard parallels is avilable on ubuntu now whooa! thanks to shuttleworth's millions ;)

Xen is really great, i tryed couple of times before. to get great performance out of xen your cpu have to be intel VT or AMD-V processor, most moderm cpu's support this. opensuse and fedora support xen natively. fedora 9 is coming out tomorrow, i will try out. opensuse 11 is coming out also soon, its looks really nice.

Yea, you right Shirwa. I myself had benefited much from this technology when I was doing cisco CCNA/CCNP networking courses as I needed badly servers and hosts to run and do tests that time and could hardly afford to buy these expensive machines. with this you can do alot more all in just one machine. Cool, innit!

peasant   

parallels is a great on Mac OS leopard using hot corners and switching between operating systems with a finger rub on the track pad. I never wanted to install Windows on my mac until i could not find a mac based software for spectroscopy analysis.