Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

How do you set up a basic website?

Ms DD   

Salaam

I have bought the domain name but I want to set up 2 or 3 page website. Nothing fancy. Just 3 pages of info of what we do, we were are based at etc etc.

Where do i start?

PS: Please dont bamboozle me with spurious technical jargon. Layman terms would suffice.

NGONGE   

^^ It's a shame that all the geeks are ignoring you, dear. I would offer to help but the last time I dabbled with websites was 1993. I have a feeling that things have moved on since.

I'll give them two hours to offer their services, if nobody comes forward I'm going to start naming names (not least he who teases big cats).

N.O.R.F   

NG

the last time I dabbled with websites was 1993. I have a feeling that things have moved on since.

Boy that was a long time ago. Did you design the websites on the old Amiga 500? :D

nuune   

Canbaroos, I think Cons will give you the details, there are many ways of setting up simple pages.

But before anything else, you need to buy a Hosting account, I will assume you already bought the Hosting with your Domain name, if not, do so.

Then when you have the Hosting account ready, all you have to do is get an Editor to write or design your simple pages, save them somewhere in your computer, and then FTP the pages to that Web Hosting company you bought from the account(Hosting).

How to FTP them is simple, the easy way is to open IE, and type:

"Ftp://theusername@thedomainname.com"

and hit ENTER, then awindow will pop up asking you for your Username and Password, these are the Username and Password you chose when signing up(buying) the Hosting Account.

after you put your username and password, you will get a normal window which would have one or two folders, all you have to do is copy the files of the simple pages you designed and saved in your computer to this directory of FTP, paste them into this window.

Remember, your first main front page would always be index.html, so this is your first page, so make sure to copy this index.html to your new ftp directory window, this goes for all pages you designed.

when you pasted all your simple pages to the FTP window, open new IE browser, and type your domain, then you have your website in function.

That is it, I took a short cut, and I love simplicity, that is how I done when I started building websites many years ago, similar to Ngonge era smile.gif

You can always visit my websites, some of them have the simple pages you want to write.

hope that would help, take care

Dhubad.   

Nuune said it all, but let me add one thing. There are several free HTML editors but the best one for a starter would be Microsoft Front page which comes with Microsoft office packages.

Good luck and do let us now how you get on, perhaps drop the link of your site once you have uploaded.

Ms DD   

You are all very kind. I just realised that I purchased a domain from rubbish webhost.

www.freeparking.co.uk

The choice they give is quite limited. So If anyone can recommend a good webhost, I would appreciate.

Hey Ms Dhuc , this guys are quite good Web Mania, but how to design couple of pages is not as simple as just designing couple of pages lot of things are involved i.e. basic design, font , colours , html , css.

So depending on how important this site is for you and on your level of expertise you'd better of get a designer to hook you up or just get a template of some sort and customize it... hope that was helpful!

GoDaddy.com is the one to go for if you looking for a cheap and reasonable webhost. Another good one is 1and1.co.uk this one is quite expensive, but good value for the money. Regarding the HTML editor, the best one I would recommend you is to go for Dreamweaver, the best WYSIWYG HTML editor. You can also use Microsoft publisher (it comes with the Microsoft Word package) very simple and lots of beautiful templates and pre-designed pages you can use these as you like. There are lots of HTML editors that you can freely download from the net.

nuune   

^^^ Yeah, Godaddy.com is good, if you want a 24 hour support they have it, and their servers are never down

Chimera   

Nuune and others how does it work??

my greatest achievement on the PC was installing the new Windows Messenger all by myself...so help me please!

so let me get this straight i first need a domain name and then a hosting account, correct?

what i need is a:

-front page

-small forum

-multiple pages where i can put my info on multiple issue's(10/12 pages)

what would that cost me monthly?

am i able to buy a whole year or several years in advance or is it just montly payments?

i will click the links you guys provided, thanks in advance!

dude, i wish i could help you, but i know next to nothing on web stuff.. aside from how the guts of the mechanisms work .. and that won't be any use to you :(

Chimera   

lol we are the same, i know nothing. Your reply on Geeljire's 'Socketprogramming' topic did scare me though thinking i need to know all of that WOAH!! :D

Im sorry to say i have the same problem.

when i began programming(for 8051 Micro controller), we used to look down on web developement as not true programming.

I do regret it now... Assembly,Verligo,LISP,C have done nothing but give me headaches !

sometimes i am asked for 'web development' related advice and when i say i don't know my friends are :eek: