Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

What are you doing?

Nehanda   

Centurion

Walaal your idea of helping our people back in Somali is very noble. However while your vision materialises it would be of equal importance to help those living in the West and who are in dire need of your assistance.

In particular, our young teenagers who are constantly truanting, under-achieving at schools and are preys to the drug lords. You can truly dedicate yourself in alleviating those symptoms through voluntary work such been an after school tutor, football coach, counsellors and mentors, the list is not exhaustive.

Your skills are all which you require, the premises and resources can be obtained from your local community charities, schools or LEAs (for UK).

It is honestly worth every effort to see one of your protégées improving from an under-achiever to an outstanding student both academically and behaviour. The knowledge that you helped shaped that one person life in a positive way is beautiful.

Here we go again..

To be honest, i find the fact some of you think of my belief as 'noble' and 'impressive' irrelevant.

The youths which have gone astray are missing a key element...an identity.

Something to look up to, a country, an origin to be proud of and to drive you to excel and work hard.

We should be nurturing a sense of Somalinimo, of our identity.

There's no point complimenting me for my 'idea of helping people in somalia', because it isn't what i'm advocating for.

I wrote this thread, because i thought of SOL as THE place where educated, young Somali's communicate with each other from around the world. Not to show off my dreams, but to realistically debate about what each and every one of us can do for our country tommorrow.

What are we studying? How will it help in the rebuilding of our country? have you thought about whether you are going to return?

Miskin   

What a refreshing argument. This takes me back to my optimistic days which are now vading by the day. Don't get me wrong i have not given up yet though not as enthusiastic about it. I have done 2x degrees in the feild of construction and have been practising for about four years. I feel i could do something of use, but will i ever get the chance.

I am bothered with QABIIL but the lack of stability and lack of willingness.

Miskin

hodman   

^^ yes these problems do exist but if people like us lose the desire to change things then they'll always be there

I think i have started this thread in the wrong section.

The rebuilding of Somalia is in our hands, whether we decide to rise to the challenge or not.

We can continue to ignore the future of Somalia, or we can properly put this issue on our personal agenda's and work towards a succesful return, in which each individual contributes to the huge task ahead of future Somali generations, including our own.

There is no doubt that we have our own personal issues, responsibilities, ambitions. However returning to Somalia, and taking part in its reconstruction should be a personal dream in all of us.

I just wanted to spark a discussion regarding how and when each of us aspire to return, and how we plan to make a difference.

I think i shall introduce this topic in the general forum, so more of us are aware of it, and perhaps add their views to it.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Miskin:

What a refreshing argument. This takes me back to my optimistic days which are now vading by the day. Don't get me wrong i have not given up yet though not as enthusiastic about it. I have done 2x degrees in the feild of construction and have been practising for about four years. I feel i could do something of use, but will i ever get the chance.

Miskin

Which is your field if you dont mind me asking.

First of all Masha-allah, you have achieved much.

Brother, qabiil is the chronic illness Somalia suffers from, and it will persist for a long while yet. However i am glad that it and Somalia's other problems haven't curbed your enthusiasm in returning.

My advice to you would be, to concentrate on your career, and your family. Somalia today has no framework in which to encompass engineers such as you.

You are young, and insha-allah you will have a long time to enhance your skills, and your capabilities. The more you accomplish, the more you can contribute towards tomorrow's rebuilding.