Sign in to follow this  
Centurion

What are you doing?

For many years, like many other young Somali's i've dreamt of rebuilding my country.

In order to do that we need to take advantage of the educational opportunities available to us as a result of our immigration.

Our country is in dire need, it has been in a position of anarchy for the last 16 years.

In those sixteen years, many of us have grown up outside of our country.

And believe it or not, it is up to us to do something about it. Somalis will have to rebuild Somalia.

I want to know, what you have achieved over the last 16 years, what degrees you are studying, what training you are undertaking, and generally what other proccesses you are undergoing in order to help rebuild Wadankeeyna .

This is a serious topic, and i expect a serious response.

I will start with myself.

I am currently doing a Medical Biochemistry degree in the UK. I then plan to move on to Post-graduate Medicine.

When i am fully qualified i plan to as soon as possible go to Somalia.

N.O.R.F   

There are many a Somali brother and Sister qualified in their respective fields just itching to go back and help in anyway possible. However, we all know its not that simple. A man with a family to feed needs a regular income and that is not available back home and will not be available until the infrastructure is in place and money is spent the right way.

A programme of graduates spending a year there would fill a vital gap in terms of medical staff. At the moment that’s the best option.

Northener, i am not asking anybody to go anywhere today.

I just want to know what you are planning to do for tommorow, for the future of our nation.

Of course i know thta there are many qualified somalis around the world. That is why i want to hear from, them so that we can inspire each other.

I know that many of us have many responsibilities, but that should not result in us giving up on our dream to help our people.

I haven't married yet, but if i do, it will not deter me from trying to return to Somalia.

To each his own time, but our final destination should always be Somalia.

murefu   

we all hope to help out our somalia(lost ppl, country) but as those annoying sensless inclined trablism ideas exist among us is hard somali professionals to try to propel our country indeed As Northener depicted economic crises i is very critical factor(infrustructure is not in place, you dont expect any income there, lasttime i was there in mugdisho ppl being employed by who's their tribe is, not by their career, verybad, )

That can all change, how Xamar is now is not the point.

We need to inspire ourselves so that tomorrow, when we can have an effect on our country, we do just that.

There's no point moaning about lack of employment, you have to make the opportunities yourselves.

Who knows how Somalia will be tomorrow?

By the time we have finished our degrees and trainings, there might be some sort of government around. And if not, there are a lot of organisations ready to sponsor you if you are Doctor, or a Dentist and things like that.

Young lawyers, politicians can get involved with the process of rebuilding the country, and so can engineers of every type.

I'm suprised to find that my thread has only had two posts, both of which are negative.

I was expecting a lot more. Perhaps i've put the topic in the wrong area, or even on the wrong forum.

N.O.R.F   

^^ We also have the same dream, its still there but the realities on the ground are quite stark.

My child will have a better chance than I, when all the qabilism has died down IA.

ps spend some time here and you will also become a sceptic.

murefu   

spend some time here and you will also become a sceptic

Are we now?

Centurion

We need to inspire ourselves so that tomorrow

we optimistically can say that but cant see any phenomenal/cognizable goodwill of peace there.

Do you sometimes encounter why our country last in restless war, we are politically in dire unrecoverable condition....out children might have chance to do that...

Mowgli   

I actually had the same optimism Centurion, but I don't know why, ever since the summer, my mind has moved away from moving back home. It recently occurred to me, for the first time in my life that I will always be an outsider. I wasn't born in Somalia, I've never lived in Somalia, the few childhood memories I have all seem to involve cockroaches and the lights going off in the middle of the night. I get qabiil abuse in the UK, why should I subject myself to country where more ppl like that are?

I have gotten too used to the comforts and freedoms that I have in the west, don't get me wrong...I still want to help my ppl and my country...but I can't see myself living in Somalia

I admire your optimism and I just hope inshaAllah, that you do not lose it.

Miriam1   

^ True its admirable and I am in no way trying to put it down. But I seriously suggest you visit the country any part. Live there for atleast 3-4 months, until your not a tourist anymore and going through the motions of life. I had the same hopes and dreams before I went this past summer for 4 months. It was not as I expected, as Idil said I was a stranger no matter what I wore or how I spoke.

What am I doing? I am in economics and public policy, I can't imagine doing anything in somalia/somaliland other than NGO work.

murefu   

What am I doing? I am in economics and public policy, I can't imagine doing anything in somalia/somaliland other than NGO work.

through NGO work is the only possible way we can help out our country....the only subject i failed during my studies(economics), i always like to deal with reality that why i failed this subject, Hayam Can you predict what chine's economic will be alike in a comming ten years(lol, joking) :D

It's funny to see most of you now think i'm a naive optimist.

On the contrary, i am very, very realist.

I can see the truth, and i agree, right now Somalia has no hope.

The people who are running the country be they the TFG or the UIC are all backward.

But tomorrow, the next generation will have to take up the yoke, and we cannot afford to fail. Sitting on our hands, complaining there are no opportunities, or there's still tribalism around is not going to help anybody.

Intelligent, educated people can get over boundaries like Tribalism, and lack of opportunities. Tommorrows businessmen should be good enough to create opportunities. Tommorows Politicians should be able to devise a political system which can render Tribalism harmless, and give it but a marginal position in country politics.

Tell me, who will benefit from pessism and cynicism?

I'm not asking you to declare you are going to return to Somalia right now.

What i'm asking you all, is to NOT FORGET where youre from, not forget where you MUST return to sooner or later. Because there's no greater feeling than living in a peaceful, prosperous country of your own.

Don't you all want to experience that?

Somewhere where everybody is speaking Afkeena, dressing in dharkeena, where billboards and signs are in Somali, where buildings and businesses are all Somali?

We have to make life-decisions in order not only to do the best for ourselves, but also for our country. We need to preach to wayward youths, and people who think that they can really be British, or American, or Canadian.

We all need to be constantly aware of our homeland, and constantly planning to return to it someday, to contribute to its rebuilding, for surely it is our duty.

Originally posted by Centurion:

Don't you all want to experience that?

Somewhere where everybody is speaking Afkeena, dressing in dharkeena, where billboards and signs are in Somali, where buildings and businesses are all Somali?

smile.gif

All my life I thought I would never live in Somalia, I thought it was too backward and unsivilized. But recently I have developed a keen interest in Somalia and its culture. The explanation, I figured, was that I wanted to feel home. The explanation for my sudden interest in Somalia is what you, dear Centurior, wrote. I've never quite had the chance to feel what it is like to 'be home'. In a counry where everyone is Somali, speaks Somali, roadmaps, signs and everything in Somali... now that is a dream! smile.gif

Wow. If we could turn Somalia into Canada or England... why would we live in the mentioned countries?

From the bottom of my heart I really hope Somalia will find peace and with Allah willing turn into a civilized country.

The truth is, however, that Somalis are immensely selfish people. I doubt many people would want to waste their lives to build a safe, stable and a happy country for their children to come.

I don't deem it a waste to rebuild one's country. True, we are selfish, but i think we'll easily overcome that attitude problem. At least were not chronically lazy like most of Africa.

Not only do i think we can rebuild the country. I think Somalia would easily have the largest growing market in Africa, and one of the largest in the world.

All it takes is belief, preparation and execution.

I think Somalia would easily have the largest growing market in Africa.

I agree.