Sign in to follow this  
Hayat

where is the variety?

Hayat   

is it just me or is there no variety in somali-careers nowadays. this topic was inspired by the fact that there was no topics posted recently. But what do we say to this. i mean its nice to have connections here and there as most of the careers are the same. But isn't it abit boring. how come the next brother you ask replies they are doing enginering,(ok.i admit there has been a bit of shift, probably nowdays business is in) but why can't it be architecture? and how come all the somali girls have an infutuation with NURSING?. Why can't there be a variety?.

Hi Riyaq,

I think there's a good degree of variety in the careers/fields of study of SOLers, which is probably a good indication of how it looks on a larger scale within the Somali community in the Diaspora.

In regard to Architecture, I don't think it's any different from any other field, as those who want to study it do. I personally know of two girls in the field - one is a student and the other is fully qualified.

Contrary to popular belief, not every Somali is in IT/Engineering/nursing.

My concern is that not enough Somalis are studying fields like Agriculture, taxonomy, Food Economics, Environmental Science (Sustainanbility, Biodiversity etc) and oceanography.

Somalia/Land is in dire need of qualified people to manage the land and oceans for the sustainable use of the population. The eccelerated rate of land destruction (including but not confined to: land degradation and desertification, fresh water degradation, dumping of toxic waste and marine environment degradation, loss of land and marine biodiversity, and the unsustainable use of trees) that we currently see taking place will mean future generations will have to deal with more terrible consequences than the famines, draughts and disease outbreaks that we are witnessing today. God forbid.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. redface.gif

nemo   

variety is good, but if thats what people actually like and want then they should go for it.....and where the hell is the accounting students :eek:

maajo   

we cant have high degree of variety in the field of study because of the moral values we share, it is for evry-group of peaple (peaple from same country).ethics, culture, religion are basic variables that make one group of peaple not to have high degree of variety in any phase of life.

In my opinion i think we are the best , today's most somali young generations grew up in different places so we being changed by the environmental behaviour we are in. so far somali student i met on the net were in different fields.