Sign in to follow this  
khayrqabe

LOOKING FOR HELP ( IN MAJOR DECISION )

Miriam1   

Choosing your major is an important decision. I thought I would comment since my my major is Economics, never had an interest in the sciences even though Chemistry was fun at times.

Back to Economics. I love it. Everyone should do it. Macroeconomics specifically Labour Economics ROCKS. great choice. ONE prob with Economics is that after graduating with it.( I am still in my 3rd year, but speaking from others's experiences) your choices are limited.

I knw you listed it as a minor, regardless its important to envision it as a possible career route.

-Economics in its pure form has no practicle application, unless you would want to go further in academia and do your MA. and so on and teach some day or attain a focus on econometrics and statistics and so on and which would nontheless need much higher forms of education. Ph.D level atleast

-How do you put Economics to use, is by mixing it with Business, take a few accouting courses that may count towards the CA list of accreditated courses, or perhaps go for a professional certificate in managment, financial anlysis..if they are being offered at whatever school you choose.

-In short, Economics is all fun and great, but the real world needs something susbtanitail.

- Thirdly, All I want to say is that your 4 yrs or so at university are yours. DO THE MOST. Dont stick to your one major and believe you cant take more classes and so on.

Never understood ppl who were happy with only 4 or 3 classes a year? what a waste of precious time. When you can be doing so much more and learning so much more that open more doors of oportunity for you.

Bio and Econ are a great mix, many might not say that since its a meld of two different worlds. But some possible career leads might be health managment and investment.

I listened to a lecture by Tariq Al Suwaidan in my first year of univ, he is a shiekh and is in staretigic Managment. :D Also just listened to him yesterday and he repeated the same thing.

However this made the greatest impact on me in first year, Truly lost and unaware of what I was doing in Univ.

This is a paraphased quotation of what he said from my memory.

-Focus. Always have specific dreams.That are time constraited.We are not here on this dunya for ever. Dont be everything and do everything at once.Be Specific and Focused in your studies.If you enjoy studying Law for example DO THAT and not one hundred other things at once. If you spread your self too thin your efforts become weak. Lastly truly love what you do, you can be great in psychology and hate it at the same time and pass all your classes, but you will never suceed in it as a career since you will lack the imagination required, that a person who loves the feild would have.

Okay have written too much.

Hope it helps

Enjoy your time in Univ, choose your school wisely and your major wisely. AND if you make the wrong decision its never too late to change it, always be informed of the rules and regulations of the school.

Inshallah everything will work out for you.

smile.gif

Khalaf   

^^^^^Masha-Allah Jawahiir, I think you would make a great counselor smile.gif .

I know this is old topic, but I feel like the poster, I am in first yr have a major not because I like it-I am bored with it actually-but it makes good money and the market looks good in the future. So counselor Jawahiir what is your advice for those like me?

PS: I agree w/ ThePoint 100%, graduating highschool is nothing, ppl should set high standards for themselves be the best they can be. Not saying stress yourself, but there is always more tasks to conquer. In school most important vocab is FOCUSED, time flys. Salaam

muunad   

my advice is take almost every class until u find one that u think could be the begging of something u enoy then do research and see if indeed u do enjoy it. but just take a collection of courses even if they don't intrest u.

good luck

Hayat   

pray two ra'akats , make istikhara and talk to those knowledgeable, and make your decision. easy as that, all you have to do is put your trust in allah after that.