Sign in to follow this  
khayrqabe

LOOKING FOR HELP ( IN MAJOR DECISION )

Hi Everybody

i have Currently Graduated from high school in Minn-USA and now i m heading towards to further Education but before i go that, there is a big obstucle a head of me, Which is Deciding Which Major i go for , some of my folks and relatives are advising me to go to Bacholar of Science and go to Medical School, but my interest is away from that, Now i want your help to give me any advice since you seem to be familiar in these stuff things

after a collecting these advices insha alah i will reach a conclusion, and i dont wanna to get enrolled the Universitiy with out having a clear plan.

How do you see if i take Biology for Major and Economics for Minors since and love both of them

Thanks for your Consideration

Bro's and Si's

Hello there,

That's the beauty of combination. You can take any subjects you want together. Biology and economics are both great subjects. Do you want to study them for the sake of studying or do you see a career coming out of them? You need to weigh your choices. It's also good to ensure that your final decision incorporates both of these (pure enjoyment as well as future prospects).

Congrats on graduating and good luck!

ElPunto   

I would suggest to you to think of what career you envision yourself in and then take the course of study that will best acheive that. Personally, my take on Science is coloured by family experience. Both my sisters are in Science. One has graduated and after failing to find a job in science is going to teach in UAE. She tried hard but positions in science at entry level were hard - she commented that only a few positions were available in labs and the like for the numerous graduates of her program(Chemistry). My other sister is in her last year of Biology - she has applied to Medical School and as a back up to Teacher's College because she knows how few jobs there are in the science field. This is the situation in Canada at least so may not necessarily apply to Minnesota. Personally, I would advise you to take Business/Economics as opposed to a science degree - the jobs are more abundant than most other field. And I would advise you to take business as opposed to economics - business is more practical whereas economics is more theoritical. The practical is almost always better than the theoritical.

One final note - always take something you will enjoy while keeping career objectives in mind. If your parents are reluctant, you have to make your case to them and sell it to them. After all, it's not your parents who will live with decision for the rest of their lives - it will b you.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Ahura:

Congrats on graduating and good luck!

If I could make an entirely snarky and personal remark and in no way is it directed to you Ahura:

I am always amazed by people who think graduating from High School is some big acheivement. And they throw big parties for their kids and buy them cars etc. Let's face it - it's not rocket science - anybody with a minimum of effort and intelligence can do it. People need to have higher standards.

Arawella   

Well done on completing successfully your high school, for having positive objectives and thank you for valuing our opinions in making such a vital decision. I can only advise that you chose a subject, which you enjoy for that can affect your motivation throughout the course and the final grades.

Arawella   

Well done on completing successfully your high school, for having positive objectives and thank you for valuing our opinions in making such a vital decision. I can only advise that you chose a subject, which you enjoy for that can affect your motivation throughout the course and the final grades.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

I am always amazed by people who think graduating from High School is some big acheivement. And they throw big parties for their kids and buy them cars etc. Let's face it - it's not rocket science - anybody with a minimum of effort and intelligence can do it. People need to have higher standards.

It is the highest achievement for a 17/18yr old. What else could they possibly achieve at that age? Build a nuclear power plant so snooty people like you can view their accomplishment as something worthy of praise and party?

Jawaazay   

Congrats fisrt fall. graduating high school especially in MN is a big achievement. Only someone that graduated from HS can appreciate it.

My suggestion is not to decide right the way! I would recomend a community for your basics. Pick a major that suits when you get into university. Major in something you enjoy, which you'll discover in CC!

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Curling Waterfall:

quote:Originally posted by ThePoint:

It
is the highest achievement for a 17/18yr old. What else could they possibly achieve at that age? Build a nuclear power plant so snooty people like you can view their accomplishment as something worthy of praise and party?
If you read the preface to my statement - you would see the words - 'snarky and 'personal' - both of which help to modify the opinion. That said - you have a low opinion of 17/18 yr olds. 17 year olds have built million dollar businesses, invented useful stuff, did ground breaking research etc. So graduating high school with 51% is not in my book of serious acheivements. This is not to belittle graduating high school period but it is to put it into perspective. My younger brother recently got his licence - a feat thousands acheive every year much like high school - am I going to throw a party for him or do anything special. No - a congratulations in the VERY ordinary sense of the word is due. That's all. In terms of high school, what is an acheivement is graduating in the top 10% of your class, being valedictorian etc.

I have high standards - and I hope other Somalis have high standards also - so they can fulfill their potential to the fullest. It seems your standards are not high in the least - after graduating high school - maybe we'll see you working at McDonald's full-time????

Arawella   

I agree that one should always have exceptionally high standards but a dose of positive encouragement doesn't harm.

We should recognise and appreciate each others efforts and accomplishments. In this case the young man completed his course and is up on the next level hence congratulation is in order. You have to understand that each of us have different learning pace and we may not achieve our potential from outset.

I hope that you are not such a hard task master that you would expect everyone to achieve your set criteria on the run. We are humans and each has their imperfections which I suppose is partly beautiful and detrimental.

Again I say well done to the young brother and to use criticism positively.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Fathia:

I agree that one should always have exceptionally high standards but a dose of positive encouragement doesn't harm.

We should recognise and appreciate each others efforts and accomplishments. In this case the young man completed his course and is up on the next level hence congratulation is in order. You have to understand that each of us have different learning pace and we may not achieve our potential from outset.

I hope that you are not such a hard task master that you would expect everyone to achieve your set criteria on the run. We are humans and each has their imperfections which I suppose is partly beautiful and detrimental.

Again I say well done to the young brother and to use criticism positively.

AGAIN, 'snarky' is the key word. For those who aren't familiar with it - it means roughly *****y.

No probs with positive encouragement. And a regular, old congratulations is fine. What I was objecting to - was making a big deal out high school graduation in general. It had nothing to do with this particular poster. I am a hard task master but that doesn't mean that those who don't acheive to my pre-set level are condemned. No, not at all.

Arawella   

ThePoint, you do not fully comprehend my argument. Completing an aspect of his education deserves a proportion of our appreciation. However the fact he is developing and challenging himself through higher education deserves our recognition. Perhaps this young man will be a contributor to rebuilding our beloved Somalia.

Mafia   

First congrats for completing high school. I know it was a major goal for me back then. I think the fact that you are already exploring possible future paths and asked our opinion shows that you have "plans." Being able to plan something feasibly and seeing it beyond the fence line is, I believe, a great skil. Some people will say go to college and see what you like. however, to be a junior in college and still be in the experimental stage I think is a painful thing. And, believe it or not, I see plenty of people just in that situation. Most people who know what they talking about will advice you to choose either something you like or something you are good at. In a nutshell, my advice would be find a field that combines both your strength and your passion.

Jafarel.   

Congrats on your High School graduation....

I agree with H-Matia's 'combination of strengh and passion'. Where I am from, university degree does not decide your future career path but it is a route to entry into a graduate programme that you like. A degree just gives you a level of thinking above the 'degreeless'.

Have you thought of a mathematics degree?

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Fathia:

ThePoint, you do not fully comprehend my argument. Completing an aspect of his education deserves a proportion of our appreciation. However the fact he is developing and challenging himself through higher education deserves our recognition. Perhaps this young man will be a contributor to rebuilding our beloved Somalia.

Fathia,

There really is nothing to comprehend. We simply have a difference in opinion. I have stated the reasons for my opinion. I don't know that you have. This really is not a big deal.