Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

Somewhere over the......Atlantic?

I'm planning on studying a u'grad degree in the states next school yr Insha'Allah.

Thing is,London is all I've known for 19 years.I've been on holiday to the states once (this last spring break)but holiday isn't the same as residing there permanently is it?

I sound lame,I know.Sida kale I just wanted to ask if there are any SOL'ers who have left their country of residence to study abroad?

If so how did/do you find it walaalayaal?

P.S Dadkii oo wadanka maraykaanka joogaa....Get ready for my arrival dhamaan lol...Shaax iyo buskuut&red carpet ii soo diyaar garoow icon_razz.gif

Insha'Allah.

In my experience, it's always best to get as far away from home as you possibly can when you go away to Uni, but crossing the atlantic may be a bit much. :D

Good luck, luv. I'm sure it will be a breeze, I'A, (Our cousins across the pond are a bit....dumb..u kno? I am sure you'll have a superior time)! ;)

lol Aerowen,macaanto I had to stifle my laughing because the family is asleep ka waran?

Yeah it was great being a Brit and I was only there for 2 weeks

Waitress:"Are you like...from that country australia?"

Me:"Yes mate,however could you tell?

*I whisper to my cousin*

Me:"Is she for real?" redface.gif

Cousin:"What a dork I mean it's obvious from your voice...your from that country London"

Waa yaab!

Lets just say my brain felt ALOT heavier when I got home.Ooooh my intelligence...Too much(!) :D

Yep...lol

Aeronwen may I ask?Did you move away from home for Uni?Tell me about it sis.Have you finished your ed?.....

P.s What are you doing awake this time?And before you ask....Yes I am a erratic insomniac.

Panda/ringed eyes are the new indhokohl icon_razz.gif

^ Waan ogahay. It's the only look I do, the Panda-eyes.

Anyway, my one regret is not moving away for Uni. I should have. I missed the whole mad student experience. I used to go in for my lectures, spend the rest of the day at the library and then make my way home. Boring boring boring.

But that's the lot of the eldest child. My sisters have learned from my experience, one is studying in Wales and the other will be making her way to Scotland come next year, I'A.

So, anyone asks, I tell them to leave home. Go as far away as possible. Enjoy ur student time. Blow your student loan. Live in crappy accomodations. Go for late night curries. Just enjoy urselves. You only experience it once.

As for your last question, I can't sleep. I am mourning my hair (had them cut earlier). :(

May those ends R.I.P....

Let me guess hairdresser got carried away?Either that or headlice and I'm pretty sure it aint that lol.

Damn those runaway scissorhands.

Sis thanks so much for your advice.I will try and relish the time I have if I do live there.But one thing you can count on is I wont be one of those sorority sister/frat party people!Alpha Beta yadayadayada....War naga amuusa! :mad:

Do you know any who went to study in the states sis?Tell me shut up with all the questions at any point :cool:

Not the hairdresser, dear. Tis I who went mad. Really, I should be kept away from scissors. As soon as they get into my hands, off I go...fringe, lashes...nothing escapes my fervent efforts.

I look like a mental-hospital patient. I'm making an appointment for first thing Monday at the Salon, I'A. redface.gif

No, I don't know anyone who's gone to the states for uni. I know quite a few ppl who've come to London to study tho (and they all seem to have a blast).

Waxba haka warwarin. Life is cheaper (and apparently easier) in the States.

Which Uni are you thinking off?

Shirwac   

Originally posted by Quruxleey:

P.S Dadkii oo wadanka maraykaanka joogaa....Get ready for my arrival dhamaan lol...Shaax iyo buskuut&red carpet ii soo diyaar garoow
icon_razz.gif

Insha'Allah.

:D

Katrina   

Quruxleey I'm planning on studying a u'grad degree in the states next school yr Insha'Allah,

Our cousins across the pond are a bit....dumb..u kno? I am sure you'll have a superior time)!

Wow, explain to me why your going or investing your future in such a "dumb" country?? Pray tell?!

If England or whatever is so superior then why cross the Atlantic to have your Ooooh my intelligence...Too much drained? Pray tell?!

It's not my style to bash others but even my dumbness could detect your contradicting mentality.

Personally, I'd rather have a dumb as a door knob president than having a prime minster who with no backbone!!

Peace

Katrina

1)I never mocked the american educational system.

2)So dont come to the conclusion that a story said in jest has anything to do with my career plans/moves.

3)Please know when a joke is being shared between 2 people.

Sarcasm is sarcasm as is sarcasm.Stereotypes are world known.They wont effect my education or scare me away ;)

Oh and next time try not bring irrelevant comments and force feed them down our throats.I mean Tony Blair?Is this my cue to throw a fit and cry and talk about how much I hate the yanks?How very original(!)When all else fails try the political card..lol

Ramadan Kariim to you btw.

Aeronwen,sweets I'm planning on studying a Law degree and then moving onto to Grad school afterwards Insha'Allah.Oh and BTW I'm thinking of going to Georgetown amongst a few others in the VA/DC area,Insha'Allah! ;)

Dhimbil   

Qurux......

Studying abroad will be hard first few days/months cuz you will feel lonely, but just make sure you make contacts before you get there. Check if there are Somalis there, if not, check for other international students, maybe British students. Talking to people ahead and knowing people before you get there should help a great deal. Also, once you get there, just immerse yourself with school activities, joining org and clubs will speed your integration with other students and the states in general.

I hope that helps, anyway if you're interested, there is a Somali girl in Goergetown, I can try to get her email for you.

ps, I think the best thing for a student to do is study abroad once! You made a good decision, have fun.

Khalid,Marka hore salaams walaal :D

That is very thoughtful of you lakiinse I have a few friends (whom I met on holiday) and alot of family that reside in my chosen state.I think I should be alright.

I know what you mean and yes I think it will be a great oppurtunity to study abroad.

once you get there, just immerse yourself with school activities, joining org and clubs will speed your integration with other students and the states in general.

Great tip,will do smile.gif

I'm out of here(SOL) for a few weeks.

I hope you guys have a blessful Ramadan and great Eid.Insha'Allah ;)