Sign in to follow this  
Alilire

Nomadic Doctors to be....

Mowgli   

Some medical schools that do graduate entry programmes in England require you to have at least a 2.1 in any displine! Obviously it would be a benefit to you if you had a degree related to the biology/scientific field...the criteria was broaden a few years back to meet the demand for doctors in england and change the conventional entry requirements of A levels

Haneefah   

^True, having a solid scientific background comes to your advantage with your studies in medicine, however, not so helpful with the admission process as you have to maintain an extremely high overall GPA which is quite challenging when you're in the sciences.

I would strongly advice those of you in the sciences who want to pursue medicine or graduate studies in biomedical research or even health sciences, to gain some pracical experience. Take a semester or two to do some undergrad research (For canadian students, try the NSERC program) and if possible, work with your favourite profs(this way you can secure great recommendation letters as well). Try to TA if you can, and get involved with on campus activities as much as possible. Do a lot of community outreach/volunteering, you might even wanna volunteer for an International NGO if you have the time/means. This way, you'll have something that sets you apart from the general pool of applicants most of whom have a 4.0 GPA.

Here in Canada, the competition is ridiculously fierce, and many students with excellent GPA's increasingly find themselves rejected because there's generally more demand than supply. Furthermore, I think one mistake undergrads make is they focus solely on their studies and forget to put some effort on other factors that are taken into consideration in the admission process.

Wish you all the best of luck Insha'Allah.

ps. Ali, I myself did my BSc in micro and I know how challenging it can be (oh how I miss my labs), so hang in there Insha'Allah. Have you also applied to McMaster? (it's only a 3 yr program and they don't require MCAT)