Sign in to follow this  
Alilire

Nomadic Doctors to be....

Alilire   

Asalaamu Alaikum to all your Nomads who are wondering their way into the medical field and to a hospital near you. I myself am one those nomads and I wanted to start up a little thread for us to network and discuss matters that deal with our future occupation Insha Allah (swa). So please, drop a post letting myself and the rest of brothers and sisters, where you attending school, if you are currently in medical school or pursuing it, and/or any things you want to say or talk about in regards to the medical struggle.

As for myself I'm currently attending the Uni of Saskatchewn in Saskatoon SK( one virtual hi5 for those who know where exactly where that is!). I'm in my third year of Micro/Immuno and Insha Allah hope to apply to the medschool here this year. I'm just awaiting my MCAT results which come out in a month. So don't be shy y'all and drop a post.

Insha Allah May Allah make this long and tought journey easy for us. Until the next post everyone, Ma'salaama

Alilire.

Mowgli   

Wa Calykum salaam

I'm in my final year of my degree in Genetics and Biomedical Science. I'm applying to medical school too inshaAllah, only a few weeks left till the deadline, but my MSAT isn't until Novemeber.

Good luck with your results!

Goodluck with your studies, and inshallah your results will be positive --- we do need more Somali doctors - there was a girl that recently became a doctor, she getting major publicity.

there's this forum for Somali doctors, its www.somalidoctor.org -- i think that's it.

Enjoy

Alilire   

Asalaam Idil, So which University do you study and which schools do you plan on applying to? and Insha Allah your MSAT's go well.

ciao

Alilire

Rahima   

Sitting the GAMSAT (MCAT equivalent in Australia)in March inshallah.

Praying to get Melbourne Uni although it is by far the most difficult school to get into. If not then off to ANU or Perth icon_razz.gif

Muhammad   

May ALLAH Subhanahu wa Ta'ala give you all the most smartest of brains to think and reflect with.

May ALLAH Subhanahu wa Ta'ala give you the understanding of the prophets and the memory of the messengers.

May ALLAH Subhanahu wa Ta'ala make your studies easier for you, for nothing is easy except what Allah have made easy. He(swt) can make the difficult easy.

May ALLAH Subhanahu wa Ta'ala protect you from worry and grief, from helplessness and laziness, frow cowardice and stinginess, and from the oppression of man.

Amiin Ya Allah!

Pi   

Mashaallah. This is very promising. We are in dire need of competent somali health professionals. May Allah make your educational journeys an easy one.

Shirwac   

^^^ don't major in Biology. One, that major will require you take a lot of classes that you can do without. And your GPA may not be as good as your competition. Two incase you don't get into medical school BS/BA in Biology really sucks in the real worl..you'll mkae no $$.

Major in something else, something very easy and which can be a backup incase medical school goes bye bye. In this case you'll have a great GPA and your income potention will be great should anything happen.

Indhoos   

^^^^ Actually, I would say major in something that you find interesting and also can lead to many diffrent roads.

For instance, if you are interested in Health sciences and eventually medical school, biology is a nice way to go, so long as you will put in the required workload and plan on going to school beyound undergrad studies.

But if your plan is to get to medical school, biology is great but challenging so you need to work exceptionally hard or take something that does not require as many hard, and unused classes.

until later

Rahima   

It’s always best that you complete your undergraduate studies in a field which is to your liking and will get you a decent job even if you don’t get into medicine (unless you enjoy biology don't bother with it because you most probably will not get a decent job majoring in it).

Don’t do biology just because you want to get into medicine. Entry into med is very competitive and the chance of gaining acceptance is slim so why risk your whole future on a gamble? Try to find a course/major which allows you to serve all your purposes. Take bio as an elective if you have to. What is important is your GPA and first year bio/chem/physics. You do not need to major in a field to have the knowledge required for the graduate-entry medical exams. All you need is an understanding equivalent to what is taught in the first year of tertiary education.