Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Computer scientists corner (ccc)

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Sharmarkee:

Salaam,

That was hell of a course I tell you!!

Count me in though.

Welcome onboard 7 0F 9 , Ceebla and Sharmarkee.

Something tells me that we´re better off , with you guyz beeing around . ;)

Apart from the systems, languages ,compilers, technologies etc etc we´ll discuss , i´d like to

to start with something as simple as "Menu"s on Somali hardware|Software naming and the Somali language.

I´m sure all of you had encountred the thought of converting a component, a hardware device,a peice of software , an application or a whole system to Somali.

Is it me alone or you guyz have come to terms with that hinder ?

file = roughly feyl

edit = what?

you getting my point :D

Xiin, I do Business IT bro.

JB, hope you can use these.

I remember discussing with a guy who used to go by the nick of Luggooyo and this is a combination of what we came up with.

Tool box = sanduuqa qalabka

Status bar = calaamada lagu garanayo asdaantaada (?)

view = Muqaalka, Eeg, daymoo, fiiri, arag

undo = ku soo celi (?)

paste = ku dhaji

link = iskuxiraha, Isku-xir

object properties = asdaanta u gaarka'a/ Asalka walaxda

replace = ku badal

print preview = muqaalka hore ee daabaca/ Eegmo hore

tile = isku sin / Mutaneelo (italian)

cascade = isku daba xidhiidhi/ Biyo-dhac

arrange icons = isku hagaaji asdaamaha/ Qaabee sawirrada

Setup = diyaarin

Hope to see the Somali version of Windows soon! redface.gif

Very interesting. So Falxado is an IT person :D ! JB I am still thinking you’re feylasuuf but you never cease to surprise me, saaxiib :D . I am also in the business side of the IT (business application) though still very new.

That is very impressive translation you did, 7 Of Nine. Didn’t know you could be that good at Somali. Wondering what JB’s gonna sound like!

Ceebla adna ma ku shaqeysaa?

As for the translation; I will give a try. I gotta run now; Friday is my day.

P.S: I was wrong on my assumptions redface.gif . Always am.

JB, i think it's possible, to make a somali-based programming language.

not a stand alone independent compiler,but kind of biulding on top of the C language, if anyone is profficient in C,C++ plz add something.

the idea is, to make use of the pre-processor directive #define. and translate all commands, into somali, b4 compile time, during the pre-processor stage. for e.g.

#define qor(%) printf(%)

#define geli(%,&%) scanf(%,&%)

and etc., until you've translated all 32, ANSI standard commands into the somali lingo.

JB, sxb waa ra'iyi fiican, inkastoo yar leexday, the somalization of this field, is a major step. some of my friends back home(wadankii), work for a software house, they make commercial software's,with menu's and help & everything in somali.

Hello guys, CS and programming happens to be my fav subject, so count me in.

Btw I have a question for the gurus, I recently got hold of a massive electronic dictionary (on mysql database, 20,000+ words) consisting of Somali > English translation and vise versa which was compiled by University of London (Dont ask me how I got it) and I was planning to write an application (front end) for it, but I cant decide what language to use (Java, VB, PHP ASP etc), and for the sake of portability what db I should use file based or one of them DBMS's?

definitely java...just alone for portability, its has the advantage. but pay attention to where Vista is heading, i havent read much about it yet except that Vista is heading for nfs file system.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

#define qor(%) printf(%)

and etc., until you've translated all 32, ANSI standard commands into the somali lingo.

JB, sxb waa ra'iyi fiican, inkastoo yar leexday, the somalization of this field, is a major step. some of my friends back home(wadankii), work for a software house, they make commercial software's,with menu's and help & everything in somali.

Bro Geel_Jire,

printf("Xiin waa bahal");

or

Qor("Rudy waa shimbir");

Makes sence when you´re intrested in the somali lingo on a compiler level , but very intresting issue in terms of educating and introducing to programming etc etc.

What i´d in mind was some sort of a "standard" somali language in menus,msgBoxz,allerts,CaptionBars,Statusbars etc etc that can be broadly accepted by Somali users.

Originally posted by Complicated:

and I was planning to write an application (front end) for it, but I cant decide what language to use (Java, VB, PHP ASP etc), and for the sake of portability what db I should use file based or one of them DBMS's?

Bro Complicated , the language to use is trivial as long as you got it in your SQL server.

You could write a nice lil app in Java and intract with somali/English DB through JDBC or use VB and ODBC etc etc, but what is intresting is the portability of the to be DB , a file based or DBMS´s.

Though most DBMS are alike with a lil edge for Oracle ( maybe that kicks a debate of it´s own)

i think Rudy knows what he is talking about. :D

ok, i'll admit it just this once, yep, i'm one of u loser geeks :D

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

JB, i think it's possible, to make a somali-based programming language.

not a stand alone independent compiler,but kind of biulding on top of the C language, if anyone is profficient in C,C++ plz add something.

#define qor(%) printf(%)

dude, its possible, u need to translate all the library functions to make it complete,

you can find all the function name here... http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/. This would amount to writing a scripting language that compiles to c/c++. however, since virtually all high-level languages are in english, along with their help forums/documents,surely teaching english is more profitable to learners

Castro   

Originally posted by Complicated:

Btw I have a question for the gurus, I recently got hold of a massive electronic dictionary (on mysql database, 20,000+ words) consisting of Somali > English translation and vise versa which was compiled by University of London (Dont ask me how I got it) and I was planning to write an application (front end) for it, but I cant decide what language to use (Java, VB, PHP ASP etc), and for the sake of portability what db I should use file based or one of them DBMS's?

Complicated, what you have in your hands is a treasure. Make sure you have it backed up, mutliple times.

It's nice to see y'all organize this thing. Although it's burried in the Student section, which means current non-students may not find it. I was a CS grad once many moons ago. I've also been making a living CSing (or BSing if you prefer) for about a decade now. Just so you know I'm not talking out of my a$$ here.

Here's what you need to know before you embark on your noble and worthy endeavour:

1) You already have the dictionary on a RDBMS (relational database management system). MySQL is free (something you have to consider for your platform) and it's essentially the defacto RDBMS for personal or commercial use without having to buy from Microsoft, IBM or Oracle. So you're in perfect shape there as support for MySQL (drivers and connectivity software, e.g. ODBC and JDBC, is readily available, free nonetheless).

2) Obviously the front end you'll be building is for the web. In other words, a browser will be your client. You're not going to build a fat-client for this to be installed on anyone's desktop. Too many variables with home users and their systems. You just want people to type www.someurl.com and get the dictionary, right? There's only one possible answer to that question. :D

3) Get yourself a domain from one of the vendors out there (with hosting as a package). Get something catchy like www.somalidictionary.org or some such variant.

4) Now comes the tricky part. Not so tricky really but you need to be careful in the begining so as not to redo things over later. The platform the host company provides will more or less decide what language you will use. If the hosting company uses Windows IIS, you will use ASP, ASP.NET that uses VB, C# or some other Windows friendly (if not exlusive) language. The better option (the one I'd take) is to find a Linux based hosting company. You can ask them what they have. With this option, most hosting companies already provide MySQL support. So you're existing db will just be "dropped" in their system. Zero set up. Will save you a lot of headache. They also provide support for its connectivity. Which is a also awesome. Now, you can pick between PHP, JSP or some other non-Windows based language to code your pages. For PHP, the hosting company will have to support it. Most do. For JSP (Java Server Pages, which will allow you to harness the power of Java in the back end), you will need a hosting companies that has Apache Tomcat (or another application server) support. Most hosting companies do this as well.

To summarize, your optimum option, the one with the least cost and greatest flexibility, would be the MySQL-JSP using Tomcat in a Linux environment. This is what I would use. Find a hosting company that provides support for all of the above and you're more than half way there. Do remember however, if you're well versed in VB-ASP, it makes no sense going the Linux, JSP route (unless you wanna learn it that is). Use what you know best. It will make it easier to develop and maintain in the long run. But even if you breathe VB, learning something else will enhance your skills overall, depending on your goals.

Ask any questions you may have. You should have a few. A good person to talk to about this is one of the Admins on SOL (Libaax-Sankataabte, for example). He can help you get off the ground pretty quick. They have the hosting capability I spoke of earlier and I'm pretty sure they support at least PHP.

Just one last question, what copyrights, if any, does the University of London have over this work? If they developed it, then there must be some rights they hold. I'd be careful putting proprietary work out there without their knowledge. You will not survive the legal proceedings and all of your work will have been for naught.

Other than that, good luck with this great endeavour and ask any questions you have.

P.S. The interface will be very simple and the text search (word meaning lookup) will be done by the MySQL database. So there will not be much work to do. A text box to enter the word and a button that says "Fetch". It's pretty straight forward really. Once the database connectivity and other administrative tasks are complete, development should take you about a day. Good luck, again.

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

ok, i'll admit it just this once, yep, i'm one of u loser geeks
:D

CG, there's nothing bad about being a geek, saaxib. It keeps you out of trouble (hasn't worked for me), helps you earn a decent income doing what you love and nowadays, chicks love geeks. There's a whole movement going on. It's chic to be a geek.

Johnny B   

Huba Huba !! the geek club is growing faster than expected !!, who could imagine Cano gell and Castro wearing those shallow glasses ;)

Welcome anboard guyz.

Complicated bro !, maybe Castro did ask the question you warned for , but only you could know if there is a point in his notion,

Apart from wanting a stand-alone app for your English/somali DB, Castro wrapped it nicely for ya , unless you wanna compare Tomcat to Jboss becouse of the power of the J2EE and you beeing a coffe addict Tomcat will cover all your needs .

and you don´t need to write a front end app but a website.

Castro bro,

it's burried in the Student section, which means current non-students may not find it.

True , but what to do ? SOL and it´s 9 sections were probably well choosen and named by uncle Said without thinking about these geeks.

Pujah   

Castro, thanks for taking the time that was great write up and covered it all, unless one wants stand alone app.

Xiin, kuma shaqeeyo walaal. I have studied computer science in uni and as soon I have completed my BSc changed to Accounting/finance which is what I am doing now. nevertheless, i think I have enough qualification to participate in this discussion. right :D

unless you wanna compare Tomcat to Jboss becouse of the power of the J2EE

That may not be a bad start ;)

NGONGE   

NewfieComputerGeek.gif

This thread explains a lot. For the activated rosin flux would imply that a bit of adhesion round the insulators would increase the level of plasma cleaning. To do otherwise would be to violate the prime directive and in so doing we lose the 0101110001.

What! What! What! :D