Sign in to follow this  
Warrior of Light

Swahili lessons

Asalaam aleykum fellow nomads,

Its been brought to my attention, some nomads and some personal friends(you know who u r :D ) would like to learn the Swahili language, thus taking this initiative to help them and those interested in its purest form>Swahili spoken in the coastal cities. I have a book in my possession named Swahili exercises by Edward Steere , (which was adopted as the standard grammer book in 1933) which I will use as my guide in this task. Inshallah, whenever I will have the time, lessons will be added.

Taking one step at a time, sharpen you pencils, ;)

Karibuni kwenye darasa la Kiswahili (welcome to the Kiswahili class).

Darasa la kwanza. (First lesson)

1.Alfabeti (Alphabets)

A, b, ch, d, e, f, g, h, I, j, k, l, m, n, o p, r, s, t, u, v, w, y, z

Notes: g is pronounced as in go and y as in yes . c exists as ch .(x,q are not used in Swahili)

Vowels are pronounced as in Italian vowels than English.

A > far, e> fail, i>feel, o> foal, u>food

Eg. BATA( baa- ta) a duck is pronounced similar to the English word BARTER than hater. As is the g in the word KOROGWE (Ko rogue we) sounds like rogue in English than dog.

The accent always falls on the last but one sylabbi in Swahili >ko-ro-gwe

2.Greetings.

Hujambo? ( who-jam-bo)Are you all right? Sijambo(see-jam-bo). I am all right.

A child says to elders , Shikamoo (shika-moo) meaning ur humble servant, ans is answered back Marhaba (mar-xa-baa), Thanks.

The Arabic greetings of Asalaam aleykum, Sabakhalkheir ! Masalkheir! Are also used.

Other common phrases;

U hali gani? How are you? (very polite coastal style) ; currently used >Hali yako? How are you?

Njema( N’je-ma), pretty thanks ^, ; currently >Nzuri(N’ zoo ri)

U mzima?(oo m’zee ma) Are u well? Njema or Alhamdullilah mzima. Im quite fine

Habari gani? What news? Njema Good ; currently used > Nzuri

Habari za siku nyingi(n’ ii nghee)? What is the news of many days? Njema/Nzuri

Jina lako nani? Or unaitwa nani? What is your name? Jina langu …..>my name is….

Kwa heri. Goodbye . Kwa heri ya kuonana. So long till we meet again.

Hodi? May I come in.

Karibu , come in/ ur welcome

Karibu ukaye, come and sit.

Starehe . relax>>feel at home/ don’t get up

Ngoja kwanza. Just wait a bit.

Other greetings in conversation using Habari

Habari za watoto? How are the kids? Habari za usiku? How did you sleep? Answered with Njema/Nzuri

If not good u can answer as Njema ,lakini… Good, but….

e.g Habari za usiku? Did u hava a good night? Njema, lakini sikupata usingizi. Good but I couldn’t sleep

3.Nambari

1. moja, 2. mbili, 3. tatu 4. nne(‘in a) 5. tano, 6. sita, 7.saba, 8, nane, 9. tisa, 10. kumi

20. ishirini, 30. thalathini, 40. arubaini, 50. khamsini, 60. sitini, 70. sabini, 80. thamanini, 90. tisini, 100. mia, 1000, elfu.

11. Kumi na moja 12 is kumi na mbili etc.

159. mia hamsini na tisa, 34. thalathini na nne (tha-la thi nee na ‘in a)

4. Siku za wiki days of the week

Jumamosi- Monday ,Jumapili- Sunday, Jumatatu – Monday, jumanne(jumaca ‘n a rhymes with maacanee) – Tuesday, jumatano -wednesday,Alkhamisi – Thursday,

Ijumaa- Friday,

5.Wakati> time

Juzi - day before yesterday, jana- yesterday, leo( le (as in French)- O )- today,

Kesho(ke(as in kevin) – sho)- tomorrow, kesho kutwa(cu-twa(like in Arabic Twa) – day after tomorrow

Haddad   

It's quite useful lessons. I have been meaning to learn Kiswahili for a long time. I have plans to definitely move to an Eastern African country (Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya or Rwanda). I don't have current information (regarding business, tolerance, security and etc) about those countries, but I am trying to contact Somalis I know who live there. Do you recommend Swahili Exercises by Edward Steele? Because I checked it at Amazon, and I am sure it can be found at Ebay. The name of the author is slightly different at Amazon; Edward Steere. Marhaba (ahsante?).

Haddad,

Thanks for replying,Im glad to see your interested. Personally, I want to learn somali.

You are rightthe author its Edward Steere, a typing error, Asante(thank you) will have 2 edit my post.

I dont have any swahili book with me thus its my only source. Havent been in contact with the swahili literature recently, :( . If you will manage to possess the book yes, it will be enough for you to have a conversation in swahili. What will remain will be practising your spoken swahili. Which could be done with friends or visiting paltalk.

Swahili has changed slightly with time, but we also have different dialects and new vocab or should I say slang. Like the sheng the kenyans speak and the swahili ya mtaani(street swahili)spoken in Tz.

Like the shengs way of saying how are u is Niaje? as for the Tz style would have been Mambo?

Haddad   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Like the sheng the kenyans speak and the swahili ya mtaani(street swahili)spoken in Tz.

I gather you have been to Tanzania. What can you tell me about its people? Are they tolerant of foreign people? I have lived in Kenya (Nairobi, Mombasa, Malindi & Watamu) for 1.5 years, it was a livable country, but I didn't like the way its government functioned. There were incidents in which Muslims were killed, harassed, intimidated or discriminated against. I am sure one of those countries (hopeful Tanzania) would provide a safe environment (tolerance & business-wise) for Muslims.

I am Tanzanian, Tz is home. It is usually a peaceful country was there in 97/8 when the Muslims were attacked. Been away from home for 7yrs now, last time I visited was in 2002. Businesswise they say the economy is booming. The govt has also wavered exemption on some items to let business flourish. People in Tz are more tolerant to foreigners compared to any East African country.

Haddad   

I am Tanzanian, Tz is home. It is usually a peaceful country was there in 97/8 when the Muslims were attacked. Been away from home for 7yrs now, last time I visited was in 2002. Businesswise they say the economy is booming. The govt has also wavered exemption on some items to let business florish. People in Tz are more tolerant to foreigners compared to any east african country.

Quite useful information. I understand most people in Zanzibar are Muslims; is it safer than the mainland? In which cities and/or regions of the mainland do Muslims congregate? Asante.

Haddad,

Zanzibar and pemba Island WERE 99% inhabitated by Muslims in these few yrs there has been an influx of christians there, place has changed dramatically the islamic values are being lost purposely.You may still feel ur in an Islamic town but if you ask a native they will say it has changed with the tourism boom and with its vice. As for the mainland from the coastal shores of mozambique to kenya the areas are heavily populated with Muslims. Within the mainland there are clusters of Muslims in Tabora, Bukoba, Arusha, Iringa.When you look st it nearly in every city you will find muslims. Islam is supposedly to be the first ranking faith in Tz. But the Muslims are amongst the poorest people. I dont know what happened but in my last visit in 2002, it became more apparent to me.

Oh, as for the political atmosphere this Oct/Nov we are having our general elections so it isnt the safest time to make any commitment.

If you have any more qns,you can PM me.

Fiamanillah

I don't recognise kilakito of what you wrote but enough to know it is TZ Swahili. LOL. Thanks. It helps. I can eavesdrop further lool...u're a star.

Haddad,

I think both Tanzania and Uganda are good places to live (much better than Kenya, I would say), altho parts of Uganda have been experiencing some conflict.

WOL,

Would you believe that I lived in Kenya for 3 years? Spoke and understood kiswahili well enough, but now? I dont even understand the basics. Its embarrassing.

Continue the classes. :D

Jacpher   

WOL: Thanks for the effort you put into this. Jazakalaah.

I've lived in Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar for about a year and they are better & safer than Nairobi. The TZ swahili sounds even better than that of Kenya.

raula   

WOL..kiswa sanifu kweli..wapata ajar kuwafundisha wenzetu lugha ya taifa..endelea dada.

If only they knew how the language is closely related to ARABIC it would have been easier; Also somali as well since some somali is typically derived from ARABIC.

Lakini hii sanifu inanikumbusha home kabisa dada na shule ...right in class nikisoma kiswahili as a lugha..

I love swa ya wazanzi...to me its even more sexier than swa zote..and then ongeza TAARAB icon_razz.gif mambo yote kabisa..its like ASALI (MALAB).

to others..if you didn't know it yet..swahili was approved by the AU (African Union) to be recognized as a national language in Africa..so its an advantage to get used to it now-besides its spoken widely in Africa currently.

Ok MASALKHERI mandungu.

Sheh, nimefurahi sana kwamba unajua kidogo ;) (Im happy to know you know something)

Zeph, dada I cant blame you dear, learnt french for 4yrs dont remember anything more than the pleasentaries as I never practised. :( Anyway there isnt anything great like a humans brain , once you make up your mind U can do it! Inshallah.

7 - 9, karibu na Ducaqabe bila asante.

Bi Raula, nakuomba uje hapa na uwape ndugu zetu an introductory class in SHENG a necessary class for conversing in the kenyan streets.

Kumbuka dada>Ulipendalo hupati, hupata ujaliwalo. You will not necessarily get what you desire, you will get what is appointed you (by God). Cf. Man proposes, God disposes

Mungu atufungulie sote. Amin

Ahsanteni Njote na mnakaribishwa. >Thank you all and your most welcome.

A swahili METHALI(Idiom) Penye nia pana njia >>> Where there's a will, there's a way.

I can across a website where they have video clips with written converstation. So far you all have learnt the greetings. May as well hear them. Sorry couldnt find zanzibarian swahili.

LESSON

NB.Its a great website you can learn swahili by urself ;)Program is called kiswahili kwa komputa (KIKO)

KIKO

Haddad   

One thing I remember about the little Swahili I learnt when I was in Kenya is, before people enter a house, they say Hodi. I remember it, because Somalis similarly say Hoodi.