Sign in to follow this  
Cuchullin

Somali elites?

^^^^ You fishing out alot of information. Im glad to hear fellow Tanzanian somalis are making a difference in Tz.Dont forget Kenyan somalis also in the 80s have been in the politics and army arena.

About the topic, beleive we need to be proud of every Somali who is making use of his/her education to help the community. Elitism most of the time comes hand in hand with snobberism an Ill which needs to be avoided. You're educated my brother, help the one who is helpless or hasnt found their calling.

Somalina   

Harvard and Stanford aint shit...I graduated from DEVRY...and yeah i'm elite...okay...

My father graduated from Harvard in 1978...ya consider him an elite..? I have an Uncle who is from Cornell..and i personally think he is a loser...small minded brick...

The point is...it dont matter where ya get your education, what matters is what you do with the Education ya get, how ya use it?

zozo

Originally posted by NNC:

Harvard and Stanford aint shit...I graduated from DEVRY...and yeah i'm elite...okay...

My father graduated from Harvard in 1978...ya consider him an elite..? I have an Uncle who is from Cornell..and i personally think he is a loser...small minded brick...

The point is...it dont matter where ya get your education, what matters is what you do with the Education ya get, how ya use it?

zozo

More important - what you did with the contacts and networks you built up during you'r stay in the Ivy-league school.

Sophist   

Hello poster,

Graduating from Oxbridge or say Harvard/Yale would indeed help the person a lot in securing the job he desires. Especially being ethnic minority this definitely helps; I speak from experience here. As Somali who had been given the opportunity to be educated at both Oxford and Cambridge; getting the job I wanted has been made easy by the fact that I went to these institutions and also getting a decent degree after three years without working very hard--- GPA is normally much higher (for example 69 percent of my fellow law graduates got 2:1) in comparison to other none traditional universities in Britain.

The other day, I was horrified to learn that a university which attracts many Somalis in London has the worst drop rate in London and 65 percent of its graduates leave with 2:2 and below. This of course explains to a CERTAIN extend why a lot Somali graduates find themselves in none graduate jobs.

For me, my experience at Oxbridge had been positive; learnt a lot and made lasting friendships. DO I see myself an Elite! Hell YEAH but such a view of myself has not been formed as consequence of my erudition; it stems from my childhood upbringing. As I once wrote in the Vasrsity; Cambridge does not necessarily attract the most brightest of all but indeed the most self assured—or if you want to be derogatory the most arrogant of British pupils.

Tankale, I left 2 somalis behind at Cambridge. When I was at Oxford there were other two Somali ladies and chap who was in my college. I know a guy who read MA law at Cambridge (a year ahead of moi)and subsequently went to Harvard Law to do another MA--- he actually visits this website.

If you have any questions regarding how to get into Oxbridge please do ask and I would be very happy to assist you.

STOIC   

Does a top twenty US public school count(Remember Harvard is a public school) with a number four football team in the nation(according to the latest AP/US poll ranking).Go Red and Black!College football fans will understand that.

Seriously is there a science major(Neuroscientist/Cell biologist) in those Somali elites? Am not looking down upon art majors from this elite instituitons but heck the difficulty of the course load counts :cool: !

raula   

^^true that_the intricacy of comprehending some of the toughest coursework can drive one to despondency(as the courses u mentioned above STOIC).

Harvard Football team is second-rate man icon_razz.gif them blokes are only known for their absolete architecture and brains-not sportsmanship. (Excuse my intermission to college sports)

Cara.   

Some of you guys are confounding cause and effect. The kind of person who is accepted into Harvard et al is the kind of person who is intelligent, driven, and ambitious to begin with. They'd do better in life anyway. Their Harvard education is an effect, not a cause, of their driven personalities. If you get accepted into two good schools, one of which is ivy league, then go to the Ivy League. But understand your life is not going to be a cake walk from thereafter.

Dhimbil   

Originally posted by STOIC:

Seriously is there a science major(Neuroscientist/Cell biologist) in those Somali elites? Am not looking down upon art majors from this elite instituitons but heck the difficulty of the course load counts :cool: !

Actually, saxiib these “elite†schools are not necessary academically harder. At least US graduate programs, grades are inflated to maintain school rankings. Employers rank schools based on students’ transcripts. So professors are pressured by admin to inflate grades for rankings. In fact sometimes they are using same textbooks as your local state college.