Sign in to follow this  
Cuchullin

Somali elites?

Haddad   

Originally posted by Cuchullin:

I was wondering whether any somali's have managed to enter Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge and the like?

Attending Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge doesn't make one elite; that's a Third World outdated myth (pre-90's). Those educational institutions are much hyped. Education in those institutions is inflated, with the scope of making the maximum profit. Oftentimes, one graduates with several tens $thousands in debt, and no good chance to get an entry-level job. Yes, there are Somalis in those institutions, so are other nationals. Anyone can attend there, as long as they got tens $thousands to burn. But, careers are shifting, with some getting deprecated, some no longer viable, others requiring upgrade after one graduates.

i know few from harvard...and they make a killing... mba, u talking about starting salary of > 110k! they aint no chump change!!

^lol..they have other problems but not material problems...!

Haddad   

Originally posted by rudy:

u talking about starting salary of > 110k!

Let's be realistic here. Yes, you could be making that figure, but only in big/expensive cities like Los Angeles or New York, not in Des Moines or Madison, WI. Even then, you will be leading a lifestyle different than those who make $1500-$2000/month. Chances are greater you'll hook up with a blonde Anglo-Saxon. Chances are greater you'll mortgage a townhouse & an Audi (Lexus?). There's also the nearly $100,000 loan you have spent on your mba. You know what I am talking about? That kind of figure is less likely to be blessed; it quickly evaporates. 110k isn't a big deal. In fact, you could save more with the Associate degree you got from the community college, plus a responsible & humble lifestyle. Yo.

haddad! bro! u seem to have a nack for being a glutin for punishment! u see what what i am saying...!

u keep running around this place like an arab prince on high horse! but u aint! u like any somali faraax...u see what i mean!! so chill a lil...think a lil bit harder...get to the next level..! ok..just an fyi!

do the math bro! > 100 in five yrs u talking about .5g n over! u follow me!! cali is a big state!

infact its the same size as somali! rent wise, we pay less the east coast n the khalij! :confused: :confused:

I’m sure that there are many Somalis who have achieved academic and financial success in the Diaspora. We often discuss these issues, is there is a Somali there? Is there a Somali who does this? Why Somalis have or are?

The bottom line is this, Somalis are humans, were part of the human race, we are no different, as other cultures have their own successes and imperfections so do we. Yes I have seen well off Somali people – lawyers from Oxford, Doctors from Harvard – not to mention some are women too and they don’t think they’re different – they count themselves among the human race. So don’t think because you got your PhD from some fancy school you’ll supersede the Somali race – remember Somalis are not a special breed, were humans too.

Besides – these over idolized geeks leave the damn community when they make it, as some of you might be doing that in the future. My point = I couldn’t’ care less for these people – to some of us it’s not motivational, nor do they boost our collective egos.

Mafia   

Cuchu, I'm sure we have a number of somali students attending elite schools, including Harvard & Oxford. At least, I know of one sister in Harvard Medical School (as of 2004...dont' know where she ended up now). I also know a Harvard Medical Graduate student(public health)... As for Oxford/Cambridge, I haven't heard of any...hope there are a lot of them.

Originally posted by Animal_Farm:

I’m sure that there are many Somalis who have achieved academic and financial success in the Diaspora. We often discuss these issues, is there is a Somali there? Is there a Somali who does this? Why Somalis have or are?

The bottom line is this, Somalis are humans, were part of the human race, we are no different, as other cultures have their own successes and imperfections so do we. Yes I have seen well off Somali people – lawyers from Oxford, Doctors from Harvard – not to mention some are women too and they don’t think they’re different – they count themselves among the human race. So don’t think because you got your PhD from some fancy school you’ll supersede the Somali race – remember Somalis are not a special breed, were humans too.

Besides – these over idolized geeks leave the damn community when they make it, as some of you might be doing that in the future. My point = I couldn’t’ care less for these people – to some of us it’s not motivational, nor do they boost our collective egos.

All you wanted to say was " U couldn't care less" :eek: Why didn't you say that rather than writtin a whole essay about how somalis are humans and not a special breed!!!

All I can read from your paragraphs is you are bitter and jealous of a ppl that we are not even sure of their existance let alone their character!!!

Cheers

Goonle   

Being Elite

Some of the postings on this topic are a direct result of being young and naive. Money rules this world not MBA's or PHD's. Ask bill gates, and ex-british prime minister if they think they consider themselves elite. Make sure yall focus on the big prize here cuz an illeterate millionare will get further in life than a PHD and a 80k a yr job. This includes the best pickings when it comes to women lol, cars, houses etc u guys no the drill. Get wit it.

Elitism!!!!!

This has no part in Somali culture.In fact we have one of only 1 culture on this planet where you dont have to bow to someoneon account of his/her power wealth education and there are no clubs etc that exist for that purpose.We are one and you can walk up to the most powerful and tell him to kiss your behind.Anyone with elitism is no longer a Somali he is whatever else that made him and elitist.

Honesita   

I dont mean to defend anyone, but Rudy, were you not able to fight the issue instead of the person..!! Haddad pointed out a fact of life, going to an ivy league school grants u a name, however it does not ensure u'll live the life of a millionaire...!!

Graduating from any school gives you a decent job where u'll be able to make the real money, its not the school lately, its your rank, your gpa, your extra curricular activities, your experience and how you sell yourself...!!

Many of us have not lived in our home country b/c of the civil war...!! We have this whole misconception about our pple and country and thus i dont blame anyone for asking if Somalis go to schools such as Harvard, Yale, Oxford or what eva....!! We belong to a bigger community, it gives some of us a little more self confidence knowing that we belong to a community that is cabeable of attending schools with such a big name...!!

If I'm not wrong, the first Somali PHD holder was Dr Hassan Ali Mire who lives in Columbus Ohio..he graduated from Princeton University back in the 60's...!!

Salaamz

Pujah   

But wouldn’t you agree, that graduating from Ivy League school would offer you better chance at getting that dream job. It’s well known that students that go to Ivy League school are generally more motivated and tend to do better in school, than those that go to state universities. Thus, that high GPA is almost guaranteed. Another important factor to look at is that those Ivy schools are not easy to get into, if you are not really talented, then your parents must have shidd load of money to buy you acceptance into the school.

Anyway I think we should be proud of any Somalis that manage to enter Ivy League schools, as we have only been here in the west less than two decades and need to have nomads the youngsters can look up to.

Xargaga   

i pesonally

know of a somalian from Arusha TZ. who is in harvard law school right now. He is brother to Abdirahman kinana once asst: minister of defence in tanzania,Now one of the top ruling party Executive.also nominated east african parliament speaker and current Tanazanian presidents campign manager. There are also speculations that the future tanzanian military chief of general staff is going to be a somali by the name Brigadier general Omar farah now being trained in britain top military college