Sign in to follow this  
najma82

Anybody here majoring in Pharmacy???

najma82   

Assalamu Calaykum people

I am majoring in pharmacy and I am taking its prerequisites right now, and I was wondering if there are students that are majoring in pharmacy here in the USA. If you are let me know how it is coming for u and what schools you're planning to apply...if you're studying for the PCAT...etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks alot, and hope to hear somebody's at least doing pharmacy.

najma82   

So no one in here doing pharmacy? do I take that as NO? c'mon...there must be some nomands that are doing pharmacy...me thinks, lol...but let me know if you're anyway.

Nephissa   

Guess not lol.

If you had a BS, do you have more chances of getting in most pharmacy schools? Do you know.

Goodluck on your PCAT.

Jalaato   

Najma82,

My young brother also wants to major pharmacy, and I don’t really know if he took the PCAT or not. All I know is that he recently enrolled, but I would call him up to night and then will let you know. Good luck

najma82   

Hey guys thanks for asnwering to me finally lol.

Bisharo, most of the people that apply to pharmacy schools did their BS already, but that doesn't mean that you will automatically get into pharmacy school. Most of the things that pharmacy school look at is your GPA and if you have experience in the field. But it is always good to have your BS plus good GPA. Also some schools require that you did good on your PCAT. University of California, San Farancisco is the best phamracy school in the whole united states, and ironically they don't require PCAT which is a plus for me, cuz heck that test is really crazy cuz you have 50sec to answer each question lol.

Jalaato, thanks hon. I be waiting, and plus you can tell him about this website it has all the pharmacy schools in the us plus what classes they require you to take, etc. It is www.pharmcas.org

Well anybody else doing pharmacy? lol.

Salaam

Mafia   

Najma, one my friends is majoring in Pharmacy. As he said, at the U of M, scoring high on the PCAT considerably increases your chances of acceptance. Also, if you can find pharmacy internship-that is terrific too. So, besdies GPA, interships and PCAT and heavily weighted on the admission process...

Good luck with your admission, sister...

najma82   

Harvard-Mafia thanks walaal for the reply. What you said is correct, and I am also considering going to other schools out of states, first choice being the San farancisco Un. of course, and I was also consdiering the U of M. I heard it is pharmacy program is good. Can you get me more info about the U of M. I mean I looked at the their prerequisites and it is almost like mine, but what I want to know is the out of state students, do they get scholarship or something or they have to pay out of state tuition? thanks alot. hope to hear your answer soon.

Salaam.

Shirwac   

Originally posted by najma82:

Assalamu Calaykum people

I am majoring in pharmacy and I am taking its prerequisites right now, and I was wondering if there are students that are majoring in pharmacy here in the USA. If you are let me know how it is coming for u and what schools you're planning to apply...if you're studying for the PCAT...etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks alot, and hope to hear somebody's at least doing pharmacy.

Najma

Good luck getting into Pharmacy school. Chemistry is one of my strong subjects. The state you are going to school (from your profile) has a very good pharmacy schools depending on which city you reside in. Some of those schools have the highest foriegn students graduates. Let me know which city you live in and I'll hook-u-up :D with the ammo to get inot to that school.

najma82   

Hey Shirwac, thanks for the reply walaal. I would really appreciate if you would do that walaahi. Please hook me up with all the news, aight :D . Big thanks.

Salam

Megan   

Najma, it would help you quite alot if you would visit this site where somali healthcare students meet and discuss their careers:

www.somalistudents.com

p.s. I am a dental major but my sister is going to pharmacy school. I work in the pharmacy myself until I go to dental school. My advice to you is keep your GPA high, contact pharmacy schools and ask them what they require of you to get admitted in their schools, take the PCAT and score high on that. Try to find a job in the pharmacy as a tech because pharmacy schools would appreciate it if they know you are little experience in the field of pharmacy. That will strengthen your application. And yes, do take part in extra-curricular activities, pharmacy schools like well-rounded students. If you have any further questions, pm me.

Megan   

Hi Kashafa,

The site is a discussion fourm, but it's also an idea. It's an action plan within the work of a website. It carries the name of somalidoctor because it is for those students who are mastering their career. It focuses on healthcare because we see that as a neccesity in somalia right now. I am sure people there need alot of healthcare. The forum has a space for other careers as well. We want somali students in general to provide motivation to each other and work together. Your ideas and opinions are most welcome:

http://somalidoctor.com/index.php

The forum has a space for other careers as well