Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Ethical Case Studies

I will be posting some ethical case studies and would like to get your opinions. Now some of these cases have already happened and others are hypothetical questions.

Case:1 The Quite Samaritan Social Ethics

Walking down the street Jones sees a flowerpot fall out of a window, threatening another pedestrian. Jones could save him simply by shouting a warning but he keeps silent. Under prevailing law in the United States, in cases of this kind, Jones is not liable for failing to warn the pedestrian.

Should the law be changed so as to impose liability upon a bystander such as Jones in the preceding situation? If so, why? If not, why not?

Wonderful Topic Sis. I love threads that make me think. smile.gif

This is a very difficult question and Im on the fence about it. On the one hand countless lives couldve been saved if people got involved in situations (ex. A woman in New York was stabbed to death 22 times while her neighbours were hearing her screams and watching from the windows. No one even called the police...no one wanted to be involved).

Right now its to the point that everyone is paranoid about lawsuits...people take advantage of each other and lie all the time. Most people are afriad to get involved because they might be sued...by the very same person they help!!!!

I heard about a nurse in a bus stop that saw a man lying unconscious on the floor. She quickly went to him and starting CPR. The man did not have oxygen for quite a while ...so he had suffered some extent of brain damage. THe family of the man she saved...SUED her for not doing ENOUGH TO SAVE HIM. :eek:

But I also believe that its a choice and people should not be punished for not wanting to get involved.

I really dont know. Tough question.

If you dont have anything good to say then please be quite. :rolleyes:

How hard is it to ignore the threads you dont like?

Rest of SOL NOMADS: IF your not going to contribute to this in a positive manner...then please leave quitely. smile.gif

nuune   

FF twwo choices baad na siisey, aawey dadka rabo iney faaiideestaana kuwaas xattaa daaqada ma ka xoortey, alwayz look other angles, love

^^I dont think she made up the question. Thats how it was worded and you only have two choice. (I think I saw this somewhere before smile.gif ). But I think if you have a different slant on this...you can offer it to.

Case 1: Yes I think so. Then people would take more responsibility for the welfare of others. Although there should be laws in place to protect them against frivilous lawsuits.

Dark Angel:

There was a case where a woman was being raped in a PARK during DAYLIGHT and no one came to help her. Passed her by..men and women. Its scary walahi..how everyone is looking out for themselves only.

That is the nature of sick, individualistic western society.

In Islam, we have a clear guidelines as to how to act in a situation of this kind. It has three stages:

1. if you can, act.

2. If you can not act, use verbal warning.

3. if you can not speak, hate it from the heart.

That is a common code of conduct for social responsibility.

Coincidentally, recently, i was on a bus, where two ladies started to fight. Everyone on that bus, and there were few of us, was watching. Even the guy that accompanied one of the ladies was watching. Moi, being a Maali and a Muslim, I jumped to stop more unnecessary harm, before I got there, the guy re-acted to my concern, and stopped the fight. Some were laughing and enjoying the fight, whilst others were in the mindset of 'if it aint me, it aint my biz'.

So, the short answer is, yes, you should shout to stop the person getting hurt. If as a result, he/she decides to sue you then he/she is simply sick. And this goes deep into the structure of the society - may be they should consider putting some limit into their liability laws. How far are they gonna take responsibility? To the point where an individual can not act in good heart?

P.S. I'm so tired and worn out, I hope it makes sense, if not sorry for rubbishing your thread, lady.

^^^Good point bro.

Case 2: Responsibility after Divorce

Adam donated a pint of blood that his wife Sarah needed during operation. Adam and Sarah were subsequently divorced. Several years after the divorce Adam was in an accident and needed a pint of blood. His new wife, Jazmin, was of a different blood type, and thus could not contribute blood to Adam. Sarah still lived in the same area as Adam, and there were no health-related reasons that would have prevented her from donating blood.

Was Sarah morally obligated to donate a pint of blood to Adam; “Yes,†“No,†or “It depends� Whatever your response explain the reasoning behind it.

STOIC   

What is to be morally responsible? To be morally responsible for an action is to be worthy of some reaction whether being praise or blameworthy.Philosophers like Aristotle argued that the ones who qualify to be the moral agent is the ones who posses the capacity for a decision.

Let me see humm...is Sarah morally obligated to donate that blood? No, why? because she has the freedom to choose what she wants as long as she is not under the influence of outside force.

loved philosophy only if i can write as good as philosophers!

OG Moti   

^^ good point

My answer yes... not because he gave her before, If i was a westerner I would say yes because life is about exchange and he gave her before she should give back " that I see it as Ultimate selfishness" but as a Muslim and a Somalian I would say she should give because he is human in need and she have the capacity to do so" beside she also should not forget the history between them and the good days he might also be the father of her children if they had children..

Anyway Ethics is about what is right and what is wrong, and it is wrong to leave someone die while you have the means to safe that person.. The simplest case she is obliged to help for humanity reasons….

P.S. waaw this girl is tough, she is giving ultimatum, contribute or get lost!! I call that being straight forward, she has a future to be the director of guriga hooyooyinka if by any chance I become a president of Somalia.. no one can take that position but her..

Allah kariim

Peace