Sign in to follow this  
Diamante

Taking a Year Out

Diamante   

After long thinking i decided to take a year out before going on to Uni. After being braindead after last year of college it seemed the best thing. It still is!

I'm working at the moment, the job is a great experience and around December i'll be travelling for couple of months.

Did you consider taking a year out or did you?

Share your experiences here, any tales, was it the best decsion or the worst of ur life??

*takes out a notepad, awaits eagerly*

I think you have pretty much answered your Q for yourself albeit mentioning the benefits that you will derive from the gap and not knowing what possible pot holes lay in wait for you.

I myself didnt take a gap year, but with the benefit of hindsight i would have. Nowdays a degree is not a goldstandard anymore so u need that extra bit to make you stand out even if you achieve a 1st class grade. Besides the break will like you stated give you the oppotunity to do other things and break up the montonus life style of school school school.

The other danger you mention is also quite true i myself suffered from mental fatigue and i just about scraped past first time redface.gif . So you might come back from your Gap year brimming with energy and a thirst to do well, and perhaps a firm idea as to where you want your studies to take you into.

All the best Whatever you do decide to do :cool:

Sincere   

If your burnt out I’d suggest you reduce the # of classes, and go part time rather than cut back altogether. I took a “break†a couple of years ago and I have yet to drag myself back. Financial reasons made me quit and seek a full time job. The promotions/bonuses were so enticing, I lost perspective, and I’m still not better off financially than I was 2 years ago (go figure)

Don’t get caught up in the hype of a “good “ job, and loose sight. That’s what exactly happened to me, and I regret why I ever did it.

Best of luck with the decision you make.

Diamante   

Thank you for your input

I have to add though that i'm fully planning to go to Uni next year, i just deferred my entry.

But its a shame to hear that you couldnt go to Uni because of financial reasons Discreet. I have lotsa friends who are currently in that posistion too, who are refused their loas/grants.

Thanx for the adive tho, Best of luck to u too

I dont belive it's good if you take a year off from school it's not worth it. for me i graduate from high school and i never thought of having a break i just went straight to uni and iam still in there just fetching still and no matter how long i take its worth something when iam done so i encourage you juys dont even bother to do so. i have these somalian guy who we go to same school with each semester he take of so basically every yr he take one semester and he cut the other to work.

Salam Everyone

I once wanted to take a year off from school, work full-time and of course travel. Then I thought about it, I thought why not finish everything first rather then putting it behind. Alhamdulilah, I did not take a year off and I'm happy. I would advice you to do part-time rather then taking the whole year off. It is quite boring without school trust me.

take care