Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Have you been to Dikr session lately?

Jacpher   

Not that kind of Dirk. Check these clips out.

Dikr with Sufi Dancing

Somali Dikr was a bit different than this but Waaayo waayo aan soo xusuustay. Alla baladaas maxaan bacdal-cisho ku niikinay mowlac gudihiis. Bal Rabbi tuugmo iyo niiko xaa isu keenay?

Please share your memories of Dikr, Hadro or Mowlid. “Abda’u bismilaahi wa raxmaani, wabiraxiimi daa’imul isxaani, falxamdulilaahi………….” I wish I could remember more. Talow kitaabka mowliid ama munaaqibka online ma ku jiraa?

I can picture Khayr, MMA and Xiin leading the Dikr group in some mowlac oo lagu shamuumaayo. Where's Nur when you need him. How did this kind of Dikr come about?

Kashafa   

^^ Not to jack ur thread, but you do know that a) That dude in the pic has to answer for the murder of 11 scholars of Islam and b) that kinda dhikr most likely includes forms of shirk, kufr(Awliyo-worship), not to mention being a innovation in itself. I can invent a dhikr session too: synchronized breakdancing coupled with chants of various "god-like, honoured, and respected" mens names. :D . Doesn't make it right. Hamdulilah, these jaahili practices are being eradicated throughout Somalia. Knowledge of deen = death of ignorance.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

Somali Dikr was a bit different than this but Waaayo waayo aan soo xusuustay.

Speaking of history, when did dikr reach Somalis? For example, did Somalis practice dikr in the days of Ahmed Gurey?

^^I think, to hazard a guess, Somalis did practice dikri in the days of Ahmed Gurey! Dikri has been around for quite a long time now with us. I heard I.M. Lewis has a Somali dikri collection, handwritten too, in his personal library.

Jimcaale, I know very little about dikri. I was rescued at an early age by the saxwah. Up to my third grade I was part of xerta macallin Nur (I wonder if they still exist) and we did a lot of Ziyara festivities in Xamar. They had scattered mawlacs (mini mosques) where they do their little Mawliid chants and some basic religious learning! I have never read a mawleed book. But I heard it’s full of mini shirks. People who recite those Mawleed poems mostly don’t understand what they are chanting. They are just ignorant men who want to praise their prophet in the best way possible! Trouble is, since they are doing it in a language that’s not theirs, it’s very hard to convince them about the violations made in those poems.

May Allah forgive them on the basis of Jahli.

[edit] My freind told me that the city of Galkacyo is one of few places where dikri/xadras are publicly practiced in the open fields. Do you know another city oo lagu xadreeyo galabtii oo dadku usoo daawasho tagaan?

Jacpher   

Kashafa, is qabooji macalinka. The 'dude' waa loo darsaday.

Talib, That's a good question. I wonder how it all came about to Islam especially the dancing part.

xiinfaniin, Though I’ve never been to Ziyara, I used to stand in a large circle with odayaal and read the book of Mowliid each year. We all ask forgiveness for our ignorance and shortcomings. Dikr was very common in Kismaayo when I was growing up. Macalin dugsi used to emphasize missing dikr would get you karbaash in the morning. I was so good at it that Macalin dugsi almost graduated me to the next level; reading some weird Arabic poems at night in a dark room. I had no clue what was that all about. It’s a question I’m waiting to get answer for if I were to meet my beloved macalin dugsi.

I know Munaaqib was big in most of the mosques. Every Wednesday afternoon, we gather and do a reading session. Now that I think about it, I wish I skipped to a game of kaalsho or Hindi film with 19 long songs. That way, you would not be chanting some shirk in the mosque all hours of the afternoon. I’m very grateful that we had been rescued. Do you know the authors or the correct title of those books?

Your friend could be right about Gaalkacyo. Perhaps it’s where it all started. I would say public wacdi was common in Kismaayo than Dikr.

Khalaf   

check these cats out:

....I know MMA would enjoy it....the old good ol sheikhs before the suwaalaagabs came to town.

Pi   

^^LOL. Hilarious stuff. I can't help but laugh like hell when I see these kinds of dhikrs. Here are more Dhikrs of Somalis with a arab DJ called Dandawi I think.

My favourite. :D

Haneefah   

Khalf, I've actually seen another chanting of that dude, only women were included in that clip. Looks like the only thing missing from the gathering is marduufyo jaad ah. :D

How did this kind of Dikr come about?

As simple as any other act of deviance or innovation, I suppose. In this case, I believe, over-veneration of righteous scholars (awliya) of the past; much similar to the origin of Shirk.

Somalia probably had the lowest prevalence of these types of hard-core Sufi practices when compared to some of its neighbouring countries, ie Ethiopia and Sudan, or far in the Northwestern countries. Most likely, it was the early Arab settlers who have brought these practices into the country, perhaps the Yemenis in particular.

While I haven't heard much about the stories of Sufi Somalis, I was told many times the Tales of The Sufis in Harar, Ethiopia: the city of saints as they call it. This small city had hundreds of shrines of locally known saints, the most poplular of which is called, Aw (father) Abaadir. It was a great custom (religious to them) of the Hararis to pay visit to the shrine together, frequently, where jaad was distributed to the attendees (women and men alike) and everybody danced and chanted while chewing away and saying prayers to the saint; it was where they felt closest to God, through Mirqaan.

On a visit to this historical city when I was younger, I remember accompanying relatives to visit the Aw Abaadir shrine, we (well, the elders) simply said their salaams and we left (though we weren't allowed to turn our backs so we had to walk backwards :rolleyes: ). My maternal grandfather (rahimahullah) was one of the great revivalists in the area before the 60s who fiercely opposed and took strong measures against the innovators and, alhamdulilah, succeeded in eradicating some of their tendencies. He also started the same mission in Xamar when he migrated there in the mid-60s.

May Allah forgive all the Muslims who indulge in bidca.

S.O.S   

My maternal grandfather (rahimahullah) was one of the great revivalists in the area before the 60s who fiercely opposed and took strong measures against the innovators and, alhamdulilah, succeeded in eradicating some of their tendencies. He also started the same mission in Xamar when he migrated there in the mid-60s.

I know that man's history, and believe me he was the key to a great share of Islamic revivalism not only in Harar, Dhagaxbuur and Muqdisho, but whole of East Africa by the spread of his students. I might attempt to post a consice biography of him if time permits in the near future IA.

Taliban   

Originally posted by tHe oNe aNd OnLy:

so bottom line... wat form of dikir is acceptible if any?

Dikr isn't fard or sunnah. As a Muslim, you're not required to practice dikr.

S.O.S   

Dikr is good, in fact Dikr is an obligation and that's why we constantly ask Allah for a lisaanan daakaraa.

Rather, we should determine first what's Dirk within the prophetic tradition in ethos and Qur'anic context in meaning. Allah refers to the Qur'an as Dikr when He says: "Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dikr (the Qur'an) and surely, We will guard it." Therefore reading the Qur'an is a form of Dikr. The general meaning in the Qur'anic context is that of rememberance, rememberance of ALLAH (swt) as there are various verses insructing us to do so in the Qur'an, but NOT for our Prophet (pbuh)!

So we need to get its meaning correct in the first place in order to derive its functional application, as to determine what's acceptable and what's not. The problem arises when we don’t understand the meaning of Dikr and we start putting aside the remembrance Allah and His Qur’an, and replace it with remembrance of the Prophet through made up lyrics and music. Music is NOT Dikr!!!

Khayr   

Salams,

With the exception of the organ playing and the face off with the sisters, the rest are jaaz and are beautiful poetry in praise of the Rasul (salallahu caliyhe wasilm).

Neither sufis, or shias or salafis are a threat to Islam. So why don't all you 'saved sects' hold off on judgements and lower your shoulders to others i.e. make room for them. No one group has a monopoly on Truth and not a monopoly on Islam.

The Ulama have had there differences of opinions on these subjects and their is no IJMA/BINDING consenuses on such issues as Hadras/Dhikr sessions, mawlids etc.

These are side issues and really and are very trivial.

Get this, while you are yelling Biddah this and Biddah that, IDF is bombing the hell out of poor muslims in Gaza, Arab Sultans are letting the Navy surround all of Arabia, at the doorsteps of the muslim world, half our families don't pray let alone know how to read quran and the list goes on....

Lack of Iman and Hikmah and its all our faults.

SubhanAllah, ittaqi Allah! :rolleyes: