Sign in to follow this  
Ms_Paradise

WHO AM I?somalian or an arab country or an american

I am a girl who been blessed to be from 3 different countries. The country i am from somalia, raised almost all my life in arab country and the country i am living now in usa. Which is great to be in all those countries but there is something that is not great about it. Sometimes i wonder who am I really? when plp ask me where am i from? I tell them somalian but i am not totally cuze i left there when i was six so i think of telling them an arab country and no i feel sometimes telling them AFRICAN AMERICAN since i am almost becoming an citizen. I know that sounds crazy and alot of plp is going to tell believe in ur self and u will find ur self. But alot of times I feel hunted by cultures. I feel that I can never be the Ideal somalian for the majority somalian plp becuze I don't really speak the accent well and i don't really believe in somethings they do. In the same i can't be from that arab country that i am from beauze i belong to my roots being a somalian and i wasn't born there and becauze i still carry my somalian culture that mom remainds about all the time being who i am . Which is always stress me about it? (i know she is right beauze to be sucessful u got to know ur roots) AND today being a teen in this new world i feel like saying an AMERICAN as i am from here or something u know. But i am not . ANYWAYZ every where i go i feel hunted by cultures, traditions and behaviors of culture.....just replay tell me what u think i am sure alot of somalian plp has been through this like this. redface.gif

DAD   

I am a girl who been blessed to be from 3 different countries. Somalia, Arab, USA. . Sometimes i wonder who am I really?

Your a special *breed* of somalis, arabs, and american. A hard to find, rare human being. icon_razz.gif :cool:

Ms_Paradise,

I guess for someone as young as you it would be hard to know your identity, but if it'll help here is how I see ;

First and for most I am somali, I am also an african and now I am canadian in that order.

I know some somali people consider themselves Arabs but I dont consider myself an arab, as far as I am concerned the only thing I have in common with arabs is my religion (ISLAM) and that is all.

hope that helped smile.gif

YO MAN WHERE'S THE INTELIGENT PERSPECTIVE OF THIS...BECOMING A CITIZEN IN SOME FOREIGN COUNTRY DOESN'T CHANGE YOUR IDENTITY..c'mon i had to write that in caps to get it thru to you..u should know...and one thing ."arabs think like they superior then black people even tho we are both believers of islam." i know this because i've been told so by an arab himself....that's just the way they think ..anywaysss to make a long point short ..they ain't exceptin you as an arab ...hold true to your oats grl you from somalia..and like many of my freinds we all left the country at a very young age..and i'll be dissapointed if that makes me american.no'matter what my citizenship status is...i'm still somalian its' funny how things in your perspective ms paradise change in a decade or two...the somalian tradition has been holdin strong for a long time two decades or one ain't jack to lose your identity over ...holla atcha'boy...stay up ma'ppl hope i wasn't talkin a lil too urban it wasn't my aim...just a defense mechanism..lol peace..and mind..

La-y-La   

woow walaahi, u know most somali teenagers today weren't raised in somalia and they spent most of their lifes in some other contries, but that don't mean they ain't somali.

i mean com on, i was born in kenya, never seen somalia and for some reason that makes me feel more somali than anybody else i have ever seen.

today, i see ppl that just wanna be something else, ya know, so not to be associated with the name somali,cuz of the way somalia is, but the thing is nothing changes, they still somali no matter what, so u might as well be proud of who u are.

i had a guy tell me that he stays far away as he can from soamlis, cuz he don't wanna be associated with them, i felt like saying "ma ayagaa ku rabaan" i see ppl being ashamed of who they are, yaa raabana illah hainoo gargaaro!!!

abaayo, sorry didn't mean to be harsh, but the reality is u somali, n plzz don't get me started on arabs, this is kinda "silly" walaahi.

peace.

Ariadne   

Ms Paradise abaayo, no matter where you grew up and whatever citizenship you have your roots are somali thus making you a somali.Its plain and simple really, and I don't mean to come off as harsh just trying to ring a bell of realization.

I leave you with your thoughts

A7LA-SHU   

easy one sis.. since ur blood is somalian that is what u is. as arabs say ( blood isnot water so it don't wash out or dry) so by the end of the day u gotta know u are somalian..... and about u growing up in middle east that is kool. sis when ppl ask u what u are u should be proud to say i'm somalian.

i use to have the same problem thinking what am i really. but hey it is easy ones a somalian always a somalian... so thang god u are one lol ;):)

THANXs ALL FOR UR REPLAYS,

First DAD9000 thanx bro 4 ur sweet replay and descriping me as unique.

Secondly, ROCKS CHICK sis I know that alot of somalian plp don't like to be described as Arabs. When in the reality we are Arabs. Yes Somalians are PART OF ARAB NATIONS. Nationally we are Arabs we are not part of AFRICAN OR EUPEAN NATION. THIS IS THE TRUTH AND IT COULD BE THE SAD TURTH FOR ALOT OF SOMALIANs BUT THIS IS THE REalITY. Since the last president of somalian, somalians have been part of arab nation.

Thridly, Tennise, bro my conflict is not about citizenship u can have 10 passports and u won't feel that u belong to any of them. My conflict is about culture differences that i face daily basis. As most of somalians in foreign countries we are all requied to make discions daily basis choices in which we should react that favor of that culture or not. Cultures sometimes don't really agree with each other but make conflict. Bro u said that ALL ARABS FEEL SUPERIOR OF SOMALIAN . first as i told ROCKS CHICK that somalians are ARABS yes ARE ARABS. Just because u experienced that that some arabs non somalians ones feel superior that their neighbor arabs it doesn't mean they ALL DO FEEL THE SAME. I lived in them I KNOW SOME OF THEM DO FEEL THEY ARE AND OTHER NOT. That's life there are good and bad in every person and after all WE ARE ALL EQUAL. Just because one arab person thinks that arabs feel superior over somalians THAT it doesn't mean that THEY ALL DO. And U said that if all plp think like me the somalian tradional that hold tigh will fell...lol and since when it was strong . The somalian cuture is starting to fade as u see in somalians wed where there is THE WHITE DRESS AND THE ANGLES AND HIP HOP MUSIC ON. Somalian guy and girls wearing new world clothes going to club dirnking and what so ever. I am not saying that all somalian plp don't follow their culture but i think it is already fading. And i think mine is starting too but i don't want it to fade cuze i am somalian and i love being it. That's why I wrote this q to help me understand and regain the culture again. And by the way i know alot of somalian who feel the same.

Fuaad   

JUst because you've been three different countries in your life, doesn't mean you have to forget or try to deny your original roots. I'm a citizen of U.S., and I'm still a Somalian.... Plain and Simple.

50 years from now on, I will still be the same God damn Somalian.

I know People like you who are just been here few years and suddenly can't figure out who they are.

If you're feeling insecure or shame on calling yourself a somali, you don't have to come here and ask us whether you're American, Arab, Chinese, or African. Be all you can be.

The bottom line is, it all depends what your parents tell you. IF they think you belong to three different people although they both are just somalis, then so be it. However, in my book you're another losted Somali refugee.

The positive side of this is you're not the first and you won't be the last so keep asking yourself senseless, meaningless, and tasteless Questions everytime you bite Chicken McGrill Burger. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Beat me or ya' better recognize me

La-y-La   

abaayo u say we are arabs, i think u should speak 4 urself, cuz i look at maself and all i see is an african who just happens to have different features than the other africans but that don't mean i am an arab. i ain't an arab, never will be and oh yeah i don't plan to call maself one either just cuz i wanna be different.

whats so wrong with africans that u are so ashamed to considered one? i mean look at a somali person, he is 90% african except 4 the soft hair and long nose.

i luv ma muslim bros and sis, but allah made me different and he made me somali, so i might as well stick wit what alllah had made me to be.

anyway, gurl allah ha ku gargaaro.

peace.

Originally posted by Ms_Paradise:

ROCKS CHICK sis I know that alot of somalian plp don't like to be described as Arabs. When in the reality we are Arabs. Yes Somalians are PART OF ARAB NATIONS. Nationally we are Arabs we are not part of AFRICAN OR EUPEAN NATION. THIS IS THE TRUTH AND IT COULD BE THE SAD TURTH FOR ALOT OF SOMALIANs BUT THIS IS THE REalITY. Since the last president of somalian, somalians have been part of arab nation.

somalians are ARABS yes ARE ARABS.

For someone, who is suffering from identity crisis you sound very sure about your nationality and that somalis are arab :confused:

Here is my question; are you saying somalis are arabs because our government declared itself an arab nation so we could get support or do you have proof that somalis are indeed arabs?

Is there a piece of history that ties somalis into arabs?? coz in somalia I took history class and I remember reading about Dhulkii Bunti, nothing about arabs comes to mind.

xoxo