Sign in to follow this  
Changed

why are girls that dont act like a typical somali looked @ differenty?

Changed   

i get tottaly disgusted when people look at me and gasp i dont dress ghetto i just dress me...my values are of a typical somali but i act different and that maybe bacause i left somalia at the age of five .hmmm but somalians will never get me they think i am the wack girl that tries to act like the white people. Did anyone ever consider the fact that i was bought up with them and went to school with them . hell no......lol well i would love to hear responses from people now

peaze out y'll smile.gif

Iffah   

Hey Girlfrom..

First of all WELCOME!

As to your dilemma...

Why would anyone gasp when they see your style? You don't happen to dress like those gothics do you? If not then, I don't see why anyone would be that surprised. Not all Somalis dress modestly these days.

Btw, most of the people on this site, grew up outside of somalia...and went to school with the white people like you, but they still managed to keep their Culture & Diin. I'm not implying that you have lost yours.

Gotta run..

TTUL

Ariadne   

It seems to me the somalis that gasp when they see you acting "white" because of the non ghetto mentality are suffering from stereotypical point of views such as the whole to be black you gotta dress wearing loose pants only into urban music and of course the crowning touch of ebonics. Well no offense but thats bulls#*t its putting people into categoeris and saying those certain type of people act and do this and only this and we should know better after all these years especialy since now that its 2002!

Ya know i really wished i had something interesting to say in this thread----but i always sit here starring the blank monitor trying to think something interesting to say.

hmmm but somalians will never get me they
think
i am the wack girl that tries to act like the white people.

The trick is to never care about what other people think of you. That could really drive a soul over the edge. Just sigh their criticism and move on. Life is too short about worrying about SELF-Image.

Girl, I am surprised that Somalis are looking at ya for dressing "whitey" ... if anything that is what our elders appreciate more compared to the ghetto look. If you are specifically refering to young Somalis, I would just tell you to be YOURSELF and not worry about what the frustrated next girl says. Ghetto, Whitey, Somali or which ever way you dress, there will always be somebody out there who will find it "strange".

Welcome to Somalia Online

Changed   

thanks all for ur respond for the record i dont dress goth!! and my mom would kill me if u did dress like them.......its not the teens that bother me its the moms they say i left my culture and i pray cover my hair like 80% of the time and well when it come to culture y'll know how girls are not supposd to talk their opinions and dressing i wear what a regular kid that grew up here would wear.........like jeans and t-shirts and on occation like weddings a dress i dont put the hasle of diraaac.... i did wear that once and i looked like a fool i dont want to bore u'll so peaze... smile.gif think good

Haaruun   

Hi sis, I'm not gonna say much here, but just wanna let u know that u have already answered to this question, BUT u didn't realize that.....they are looked @ cuz they act differently

white girl i think i seen you around are you that chick that works at bk or no aah my bad i thought you were that white chick damn...anywayzzz are u somali again...???/confused..what do u have a problem with...if you wanna wear minni skirt wear it chyck and if you in minnie_sota i would love to see ya'ass in minnie skirt ...holla ..did that answer ur question thank you very much...this is not a dilemna nelly's song dilemna should be the dilemna the video sucks tha'ts just me folks.....sorry to rain on yo wakk azzzsss parade but u is over exagerating...think b 4 u wear..and don't wear thongs to dugsi tha's just not right...wear it on your way to grandma'z house cuz you know ol wolfy here be hidin in da bushe's waiting for ya. :D .LITTLE RED wearing clothes dilemna in ta'HOOOOD ;)

Excuse me honey but...leaving somalia at da age of 5 has NOTHING to do with how you act...wether u act like white or black...it dont matter..okay and anyways islaamo will always be islaamo all they do is sit dere and gasp bout youngsters na'mean dat aint nuthin NEW to us...anywayz am jus tryna say..i know errbody thinks in order to be black u have to wear som loose cloth and listen to RAP and all dem otha b*ll*h*t...am jus sayin sweetie dont get me wrong

u No wot dont worry about not being a typical somali, u had no control over leaving somalia @ 5 so i can understand how u might come to be culturly different from the majority.

What should concern u though is if this shift away from ur 'typical somali' girl (wot ever that means) essential see's u neglet ur responsibilties towards ur deen after all when u die ur wann day ntohing else but a muslim, so why live as anything else.

sMiLeY   

abaayo relax.......nothing will satisfy somalis......it's ok wear your t-shirt and jeans......one advice though try to learn your culture cuz we have a beautifull culture......GUESS what i wasn't born in somalia but i managed to speak it very well(although idont understand some songs) I love wearing diiraac it makes me feel somali i even wore it to school once because it was multiculture-day....i felt likeshowing ppl how somalis dressup ( iwasn'tnaked though ihad a tang top on and a gabasar). ANYWAYS do what makes ya feel comfortable smile.gif

HONEY-D   

IF UR TALKING ABOUT A T-SHIRT N A PAIR OF JEANS THAN I GUESS IS NOT DAT BAD,BUT REMEMBER OUR PEOPLE SAY THINGS WHICH SHOWS THEIR GREAT CONCERNS.

TAKE IT EASY DONT KILL URSELF WORRYING ABOUT WHAT PPL MIGHT BE SAYING ABOUT U BEHIND UR BACK. ;)