Sign in to follow this  
Rising Phoenix

Help Needed Urgently!

Salaam all

I seem to have this continual problem with my PC regarding the COLOUR. It keeps changing to 16 - (from 250 like its supposed to be). It's also changing the Screen measurements from 600 X 800 to something else (I think 480 X 600 - but I can't be sure). Anyway, I was wondering if you guys know what might be causing it? I've checked my computer for viruses but none are coming up. It's really iritating because I can't access any images and all the colours are messed. I'd really appreciate ANY help!!

Thanks in advance

WaSalaam

This sounds like a case of loading the OS kernel with the incorrect videoCard drivers. What OS platform are you operating? See if you could give as much info as possible for meaningful responses. Windows Legacy OS are known for such behaviour.

You might what to check the advanced setting of the displayProperties, check you have installed the right drivers specific to the OS for the videoCard by looking at the adapterType, and in the monitorType make sure the monitor settings are set to either 70mhz or 75mhz which determines the refershFrequenc. If none of that works, drop as a line.

Best of luck!

Samurai, thank you! It worked! Apparantly the Driver wasn't operating correctly and I had to reload it. I'm not very techie-wise so excuse me if you don't understand what I mean (I don't). But thank you.

A question: can I buy Video Card Drivers? And what is the best Virus Shield?

Thanks in advance

Wasalaam

NO worries.

Did you patch up your PC for the DCOM RPC port 135 vulnerability which precipitated the w32.blaster worm(s) - latest version SoBig.f circulated through email?

You do not need to purchase drivers. If you do not have the original software, which I suspect you do not, then simply go one of the following site, or better yet to the site of the manufacturer i.e.

S3

Nvidia

ATI Technologies

Trident

3DFX

Diamond Multimedia

Matrox

Cirrus Logic

Creative Labs.

http://www.driverzone.com/video.html

http://www.driverguide.com/

For antivirus software, you could buy Norton or McAfee (homeEdition) for no more than 29.99 usd. Be sure to download the latest virus definitions on a weekly if not twice a week basis. While you are at it, you might also want to invest in firewall software i.e. Black ICE (preferred) or Zone Alarm both of which work on all platforms.

n/b: Better yet, you could take one step further, and join us in the world of free viruses and worms – Unix/Linux world.

If you do not have any of these, let me know perhaps I could point you to a ftp server downloadable provided you have got a fast Internet connection.

Best of luck!

hacker1   

u dont need to buy anti-virus. just download the demo and u can use it for one yr. then uninstall it and download the next demo. i never paid for it. thats all i do. and it works for me.

X   

hacker#1,

Demos don't run for an entire year; most run 30/60/90 days. But, I agree with you, you can install a demo, keep it let's say for 90 days, then uninstall and reinstall it. It's too much hassle for Windows users; but we Linux/BSD users aren't bothered with virii.