Sign in to follow this  
Abdinuur

FROM HIGH SCHOOL to COLLEGE?

Abdinuur   

For those of us who are in colleges &/or universities who had been through a lot...let's give some advice for those who are planning on going into colleges/univ.

Anything including financial aid, what to do & what not to do in college, how to be successful, what to look-out for, who to hang out with...i mean...the list goes on forever, how to be prepare for exams...anything

Just write down few experiences that you had...especially, anything that you wish you had done differently!

The purpose of this is to exchange ideas and share information that would be helpful to our community u know.

okay carry on....

Abdinuur   

For example:

• Start looking for scholarships before you start college; specially during the summer when you have sometime off. But sometimes...most scholarship deadlines are around spring...so definitely stay tune for that.
  • GET ORGANIZE! I had a little problem with this...but once you know your stuff & get organize...everything else comes easy. And u can do this first by utilizing a daily plannar.
  • Dont ever get behind with your academics...and school deadlines...
okay carry on....

This is a great topic Kaafi, I do need some info on college and university...For example, when your done highschool do you go straight to college/university or have a year off? I seen some ppl do this. I always wondered if they actually take you in after a year of no school...Hmmm.

.:peace n luv:.

Xafsa   

^^^^ you could take a break for a year...Most universities usually keep your application on file for a year...so if you've already been accepted then all you have to do is inform them that you wont actually maticulate for another year. But I have to tell you its really hard to get back to school if you've been off for awhile.

Anymore questions? smile.gif

Faheema.   

Taking a year out

Originally posted by flying-still:

^^^^ you could take a break for a year...Most universities usually keep your application on file for a year...so if you've already been accepted then all you have to do is inform them that you wont actually maticulate for another year.

It's vital to do that before taking a year out.

Personally, taking a year out did me good and although it was hard getting back to studying, you’ll get the hang of it after the first 3 months. If you decide to take a year out make the most of it, it will be good idea to get a work experience in the field your studies are based so at the end of your studies you have the experience and the qualifications you need to get the desired job.

Moving away from home to go Uni/College

If are going away to Uni/College make sure you sort out your accommodation before you start, a lot of people leave it to the last minute and by then all the good apartment have been taken and you probably won’t find any decent people to share it with.

Part time work

If you have to work part time job, make sure it’s not one that is too stressful, don’t put your studies in jeopardy.

Changing your Course

If you decide to change your course make sure you do it early (within the first 3 weeks of enrolling) otherwise you will end up wasting a whole year.

Those of you in the UK set up a Somali Students Society in your student Union.

This will help you a great deal, there bound to be another Somali student in the year above who is studying in your field who can give you the help and advice you'll need.

Good luck to you all...

Nice topic Kaafi, I wanna say something to those Nomads that still in High School planning to go to Univ, make sure you take your ACT tests early, your Junior year or begining senior year. Caus first thing they look for is those tests ACT or SAT after they see your GPA. And yeah don't delay your Univ Aplication too, that has to be done early senior year too. Well that is all I can think of it for now....

A7LA-SHU   

Kaafi great idea bro...

hey guys it realy doesn't have to be for them high school kids going to college/uni it can be ideas to help us too..

okay here is couple of things i wish if anyone told me ahead of time :( .

Make schedule for urself

a schedule that is between ur classes, work.. and highlight hours u are free and make sure u review materials before or after any class u havin hard time with.

Find place where u know u can study

my place is my car believe it or not. in library i have too many home girls they always doing nothing and lets just say i end up with them. so i put my Cell phone on silent and stay in my car with some arabic music and im set to study, do work. and whatever else.. so make sure u know there is place that is best for u to study.

find the best way for u to study..

personaly i like studyin alone if it is math or just readin, but for some of my PSY classes i like havin study ground and share ideas. so u gotta know if studyin alone or havin study group is best for ya.

don't fall behind..

try ur best to stay with the class syllabus.. do homework, study ahead of time if u fall back one thing i learn don't stick to the old materials coz u gonna end up missin the new ones too. so move on. and try to review the old ones ur free time if u havd any.

ask any Q u may have

don't be thinkin it is like high school kids will laugh at me if i ask stupied Q. coz there are atleast 5 other ppl in that room who have that same Q so ask...

See ur teacher after class..

i know some teachers will be more than happy to answer ur q. and help in any way he/she can. so use dat. plus they can see u are hard and dedcated student who is willin to get help in anyway possible. and when the gradin comes that might help ya.. ;)

Whatever u do don't miss any class..

unless it is for good reason, make sure ur lovely behind is in class. coz sometimes u miss one class meetin and it feels u missed a whole year of work.. and if u are missin class it is always good to let ur professors know about it ahead of time. so they won't be usin it against u later on..

and for the sista that was askin takin year off. i would say don't... unless u really need that year off. u can accomplish alot in one year u are in school believe me.

that is all i have for now. but i sure will add more. and can't wait to read other nomads ideas.

peace n 1 luv

Thanx for the advice, you guys keep it coming...I'm actually interested in knowing as much as I can before I enroll next year for university.

Filssan SAT? Is that only in the states cause I never heard of that.

A7LA-SHU   

Originally posted by exceptional_by_nature:

Filssan SAT? Is that only in the states cause I never heard of that.

if u live in the USA i believe any Uni u go to will check dat.. if u have more Q about it. go to ur counselor and ask him/her the dates u can take them. or if ur school has career center go there and they have deadline and the dates the SAT n the SAT II are available and they will also tell u when u can apply for it and how much it is gonna cost u.. ur school library might even have book u can check out to help u study.. it won't be the same Q but it is more like practice. so u would know what to expect.

i know the Q was for Fillsan. but since my younger sis just finished high school i thought to answer it for ya. i hope that helps.. sallamat...

It's vital that you make friends with people that have the same major as you- They will have either taken or will take the classes that is required of you. They usually have books that you will need or they might recommend you to a good instructor.

Do NOT procrastinate..and STUDY your a** off because every single mark counts towards your GPA. (don't be like..oh its just one class..it makes a world of difference)

Join student organizations- good way to meet new people..and get the experience. Being a part of student council can be great for networking and also it looks tre bein on your resume

Study..and study some more!

Always sit in the front..teachers tend to remember you that way..and its easier to participate in class. It is imperative that you do this one !!!

hope this helped smile.gif

Abdinuur   

In addition to all of the above, definitely do internships/co-ops EVERY SUMMER!...this will help you in the long run, why?...b/c it's better to earn your degree and have the necessary experiences and the whole nine yards.

Fall semester is approaching like maxaa gaagalay...definitely be ready for it..

...and Join MSA if your school has one as well as other organizations and clubs on-and-around campus. Shoot, you can even make your own organization...how about that! ;) So definitely!...get involved in every activities on campus...hey, you're paying for it anyway..why not get your money worth..huh.

Increase the peace. smile.gif

qoslaaye   

I didnt know that there are so many high school kids in the forum. My best advise to you guys is to be possitive and make plans, I mean what you want to major and so forth. Dont ever ever change or keep changing your major, you will pay for that, I did that and it costed me an extra year in school. Good luck

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Take an easy undergrad. program

b/c no one really looks into you undergrad.

People are checking out for post-grad. degrees now.

This is my advice to any nomad.

I have a friend who is a lawyer and he took

Islamic Studies for an Undergrad.

No one remembers that undergrad. now.

A Masters holds much more weight now,and solidifies a career. The down side of it is that you end up paying $100,000 OR MORE

for tuition but your starting wage will be around $50,000.

Fi Amanallah