Sign in to follow this  
lambda

AIDS in Africa has the potentialto affect human evolution.

lambda   

Biologist think that over a period of several

generations,AIDS could alter the frequency of

specific genetic mutations in African populations.

Kenyan and canadian researchers have documented a

group of prostitutes in Nairobi who appear to be

resistant to HIV,yet without the genetic mutation

found in some whites who are resistant to

infection.

British doctors have reported a similar group of

resistant Gambina prostitutes.

Natural selection in the case of AIDS in Africa is

as strong as the selection malaria had on the gene

that couses sickle cell anemia.

Intrestingly,a mutation called delta-32 in the

CCR5 gene is found in northern Europeans.

A person with two copies of this mutated gene

apparently is completely resistant to HIV

infections.

CCR5 wich codes for a receptor on the surface of

immune cells,seems to be important in AIDS becouse

the HIV virus locks onto it before entering cells.

Mutation that alter or delete the receptor would

thus make it more difficult or impossible for HIV

to infect immune cells.

Oocyte   

Lambda,

Good Topic. Is this the same research that showed some individuals have different Cytotoxic T cell Lymphocyte which destroy the Virus in which researchers are working on to find Vaccine?

I cant imagine the pain and complications Sickle Cell Anemic people live in and how the gene mutation occured in response to Malaria!

lambda   

Hi libin no this a different paper and it was more like an abstract..

If i find something i will let u know insha allaah.

I think AIDS is very intresting research field and i hope it will not spread in somalia ...

You know one reason why AIDS was a big problem in UGANDA was the civil war and the soldiers wich were infecting the innocent female´s..

Ilaahay hanaga koriyo insha allaah...

Oocyte   

Originally posted by lambda:

and i hope it will not spread in somalia ...

Unfortunately HIV/AIDS already spread in Somalia. Though there isnt accurate studies/statistics to estimate the percentage of the infected people out there but its been on the rise for the past 13 years. There is even a fear that HIV/AIDS might become epidemic!

raula   

Libin..I totally agree with you that HIV-virus has already spread to Somalia..but we only hope that it would not become an endemic or an epidemic, if nothing is done to stop it. Worst of it, due to malnutrition, unprotected sex, and other diseases that are already an epidemic to region e.g Malaria(which currently the parasite-plasmodium-has become resitant to the vaccine (quinine) and the host(anopheles mosquito) has changed its breeding habits)), yellow fever, Elephantasis etc.-see the AIDs virus is an opportunistic pathogen and the weaker the individual the more likely one becomes susceptable to become Acquired(become AID's patient).

Unfortunately, Africans have become the center of genetic development because of the unique immune system they possess that might be suitable for mutational experiments such as Spontaneous transformation of the recombinant DNA(in which the above doctors and scientists are using)to manipulate the genetic make-up of their DNA.

Oocyte   

Raula,

True, There are so many epidemics in Somalia. But Hope only wont keep HIV/AIDS epidemic away. There was an appeal done by doctors about HIV/AIDS in Somalia around 2001 who stated the STDs were found quite significantly in many people. There are Somalis infected in the diaspora as well and hardly how many people do you know/hear who do blood test for HIV before they get married?

great topic

certainly the spread of the deadly aids virus to to somalia and to somalis in the diaspora is a sensitive subject that needs to be delibrated upon and to be collectively stopped. the root cause of this spread is, of course, the gradual decline of islam's influence upon somalis. once, we were a somalis and 100% muslim. now, we've parted ways. perhaps its time to re-consider our options. the very people we love to imitate are only going down. i'd like to go up.

as far as the biology study is concerned, whether or not aids mutates humans isn't relevant. the fact of the matter is that its a cureless disease that has and continues to wreak havoc among the world's population, with extremely adverse effects in africa. period.

Oocyte   

Originally posted by WinD..TaLker..:

the root cause of this spread is, of course, the gradual decline of islam's influence upon somalis. once, we were a somalis and 100% muslim. now, we've parted ways. perhaps its time to re-consider our options. the very people we love to imitate are only going down. i'd like to go up.

Very people we love to imitate(if you meant the west) arenot contracting HIV/AIDS and dying from it like the people in Africa and Asia plus they also have prevention methods and treatments for it. So if any people going down with this virus are those in the other world. Even in USA the most affected ones happen to be African Americans.

Its true practicing Islam properly will help prevent the disease but lets not forget there are certain things which might increase the spread as well.

[/QB]

as far as the biology study is concerned, whether or not aids mutates humans isn't relevant. the fact of the matter is that its a cureless disease that has and continues to wreak havoc among the world's population, with extremely adverse effects in africa. period. [/QB]

Biology is the key which will, one day, lead to right therapy.