Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Entrepreneurs!

Baashi   

Are u a business type who like to take risks in order to make more money? (in halal way, ofcourse).(Y/N) Why do u go to school? (explain)

How do u prioritize ur plans? (Please choose one)

1. Go to school to get good credentials, get good paying job to secure that 'safety net'(medical benefits etc.), safe money, and use that money to do profitable business and make a difference with ur skills and wealth. While u are at it...meet that someone to settle down.

2. Go to school to have enough knowledge to get by, find a way to set up ur own business (traditional/untraditional alike), reach that finantial freedom u strive for, and make a difference with ur wealth. While u are at it...meet that someone to settle down.

3. Settle down (marry the right person to insure success in ur life), Acquire knowledge by reading, Set up ur own profitable business, make difference with whatever u got, and ensure ur kids have the right guidence.

4. Go to school...and postpone other priorities at a later date, If chance comes along make sure u take advantage of it. take one step at time.

Nomads,

I had a very interesting discussion with a friend @ Barnes & Noble Bookstores in Seattle the other day...my friend dismisses the idea of going school to be one step close to the success. The point, my friend said, is about having that fire in the belly to succeed...and in order to succeed u need to have a vision..something u want to accomplish. I argued that Education is the 'great equalizer' and the absence of capital is very hard to set up profitable business. This is a way of finding out what nomads think about that. (too long! bear with me)

Kool_Kat   

Are u a business type who like to take risks in order to make more money? (in halal way, ofcourse).(Y/N) Why do u go to school? (explain)

Yes, I would would like to have my own business one day... I believe it is the only way to financial freedom...Ohh yeah, and I can be my own boss... Ppl face risks everyday of their lives... From the time you wake up, until the time you go to bed, you take risks without even knowing it... Therefore, I love taking risks... After all, I only get to live once, right?

I am somewhere between 2 and 3... Without an education, one has no vision... Why not study while you're young, and if you are unfortunate at that younger age, it is NEVER too late to go to school and educate yourself...

Education is the key to success... Success is the key to happiness... Happiness is the key to live a rewarding, healthy, and normal life...

Khayr   

Salams,

Inshallah I agree with your friend

about having that vision interms of what career path you want to seek and why and what is inshallah the goal you want to reach? What do you want to accomplish?

The vision for me inshallah comes from the deen. The basic message and vision of Islam is that we all belong to Allah and we will all return to HIM.

What career can I seek that will inshallah parallel with the deen?

Most of us in here live int the western hemisphere, in nonmuslim lands. There are no Islamic communities here, if you really sized things up. What you have are pockets of muslims and some local prayer center.

To truly think about a career path, you have to first think of how that career will best help you

in

1) Working on yourself (Nafs)

-What is your niyah (intention) going into the job? Is it a mixed intention?

-Will it take you from your deen?

-Will the occupation interfere with your basic ibada's?

- Can the job give you basic sustanance for you and a family?

2) Work for the smaller muslim community

-How will the job benefit your children, parents and the muslim community around you? (Remember, everything is interlinked and that what you do effects Yourself, Family, Muslim Community and the Ummah!)

For me inshallah, Barakah (divin grace)comes from knowing that I WORK TO LIVE AND NOT LIVE TO WORK. The latter is what modern society teaches you. As long as I maintain this vision that co-relates my career to my purpose of my existence (which is to return to Allah in the best possible way that I can!), then there will be Barakah in my work and I will succeed.

Given this, it doesn't mean that I will go and open another halal meat shop or drive a taxi ;)

Inshallah, we live in the western hempishere and we have to some what operate and play by their rules but at the sametime remain TRUE to Allah. A very difficult thing to do.

We have to find a career that brings us the best qualities in us and that we can excel in.

You can succeed in anything inshallah. However, my personal recommandation inshallah is that you probably do need a post secondary education (as I have come to find out). This is the basic requirement. Next you will need a certification of some sorts. This is what most employers look at when reviewing applicants (If u don't have any experience or minimal experience!).

Inshallah, I want to become a Financial Consultant in the near and not to distant future. This probably means that I will need to finish

the CFA designation. Through patience and persistence (and alot of frustration!), inshallah this will be achieved. I hope inshallah that my career will allow me to own a majority stake in my financial Consultant Corporation so that I can train and hire others who have been at a disadvantage and inshallah give to the muslim community. However, If my career ends up hurting my deen, then inshallah I would have to look at something else (Easily said but very, very difficult to do!). The prophet (salallah aliyahe wasalim) indicated that if a person goes for their akhirah, then they lose their dunya and if a person goes for their dunya then they lose their akhirah. Meaning that it is very difficult to hold a balance between the two. One must overtake the other and this will hurt one of the two.

Baashi   

Kool_kat,

Right. But would u agree that schooling is sometimes inhibit success? Loans! especially new graduates who fail to secure an employement...add that with the high expectation to excel...means a crushing dissappointment.

Kheyr,

I'm with u bro..."inamal acmaal bi niyaat, wa ina likulimri'i maa nawaa.."

Kool_Kat   

Baashi, believe me I am still strugling with that thing called "STUDENT LOAN"... I am always behind with the pymts, that's if I make any... But it is all worth it... I am now a more educated, independent woman... With my education, I was able secure a nice job, that pays well, with great benefits... I am more knowledgeable of the things that go on around me, and I am more understanding of ppl...

You know, it just feels too damn good when I am the only one with the Diploma out of all my friends, who are all about my age... Ppl tend to waste their time with other things... With me education comes first... You even get more respect from everybody (whether it is your family, freinds, or even employers)... And ever since I got my Diploma, my resume looks a lot better, and I get better job offers...

So for those who want to work in factory, and other sh1tty stuff, by all means go ahead... But for those who want to succeed in life, EDUCATION is the BEST way to START... :D

Let me clear one thing: the aim of education is not to reach financial success, but rather for personal development and practical trades. this is to expand your knowledge and values and teach you problem solving(to empower your society).

as for money creation, all you need is 1)learn the mechanism of wealth creation

2)then invest for the long run. 401k, a mixture of stocks(30%) and Bond and mutual funds(70%).

real state is also good.

there is no need to collect a large sum of money to invest, but rather a steady plan of contribution is the key.

there are islamic funds both in bonds ,and stocks.

if one is really interested, then www.islam.org is the starting place.

i invest in hizbollah since iam the president of hizbolah- xassan Nasra Allah!.

one other attractive vehicle for somalis is investing in remittances(xawaaladaha). i talk to one gentleman(wadaad) that has a share in one and he told me $5000 minimum for 15% return. you can't beat that anywhere.

You can have as many bright ideas as you can musture, you could possess the Fire in your belly required to risk and speculate to accumulate. However if you dont have the Capital first to begin with then your will find it difficulty to get started with any business venture you have in mind.

Khayr   

Salams,

First its Fadalallah not nasrullah!

For any sister, the biggest contribution you can make is towards raising a family.

'A Women's Castle is her Home'

This is not to say that we don't need female teachers and doctors!

With respect to investment advise, the best investment inshallah begins with self discipline.

Scrooge Up and save as much as you can inshallah.

Reduce your DEBTS!!!

Buy a House and build Equity. Don't just make min'm mortgage payments on your house either.

With patience and time inshallah, you will see a significant difference.

BUT WITH PATIENCE AND TIME, INSHALLAH.

'A tree doesn't sprout up in one night'

Khayr, you GOT IT WRONG BRO. the current leader of xizbiga illaahay is xasan nasrallah.

to prove it, just go to their site , since iam hesitant to do that at work. iam paranoid, since there is a possibility that adeer SAM could misinterpret my curiosity and ...

khayr brotha no disrespect, but where do you come off telling the sista's what they can and can't do. God is the creater and under god's eye's we all equal, home is not a woman's thing it's also men's. LIfe in general is all about equal contributions. I'm into business, hell I live breath thru the so called business world, and I get nonsense Bull**** from my Somali brotha's everyday, but I'll say this I use to think it was because of ignorance, the truth is ya'll are intimidated by successful sista's. In the meantime I'd really like to know why do you do this to the sista's.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Khayr:

Salams,

For any sister, the biggest contribution you can make is towards raising a family.

'A Women's Castle is her Home'

Oh! Puh ... lees :rolleyes:

Anyways, Mr Mandela once said that education is the great engine of personal development. It is through education that you become all those great ppl in our society ....... It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.

Cool init!

And as for entrepreuners ... one would only need to posses common sense and the drive to succeed.... most rich dudes aren't even educated !

N.O.R.F   

so what business ideas do we have then????

for me its got to be property development, i hope to buy a house soon for cheap, do it up then sell on making a profit. U know start off small then maybe into bigger things insha-allah. so any one wanna help with the initial capital let me know,lol.

Nah serious, developing derilict land/property is a potential gold mine so snap up what ever property u can before that area is developed by a bigger firm and prices rise as soon as they get planning permission!

as we can all see at the moment, the govnt is trying to develope what ever brownfield/derelict land they can get their hands on. As soon this land gets planning permission, the prices of houses and flats that sorround it rocket. So if u live close to an area which is currently being developed, yr house is worth more than it was before the development. Which is not a good thing unless u already own the house. just a bit of info for ya, my dissertation subject!

peace!

Baashi   

I'm into business, hell I live breath thru the so called business world, and I get nonsense Bull**** from my Somali brotha's everyday, but I'll say this I use to think it was because of ignorance, the truth is ya'll are intimidated by successful sista's. In the meantime I'd really like to know why do you do this to the sista's.

Good for u! Elaborate lil bit more sis...u seem to suggest that your success in business world is somehow drawing wrong and an uninvited comments from us men. So sensitive!..is that it? I don't see any reason that makes any of us feel intimidated by a successful, educated, or wealthy sister, wife, and what have u! Actually that's a plus.

Back to the topic,

Business is the better option than the Education as we come to know it like getting that diploma perhaps in geography or performing arts or what have u! My point: u are better off if u acquire knowledge somehow(like reading) and save no effort to succeed in business world. I bet u can make a tangible difference in terms of educating kids back home or funding clinics, etc.