Sign in to follow this  
La Fidele

Come to McGill!

I know this topic may be in vain, and I am doing those partly for selfish reasons, but I am tired of being the only Somali on campus. This is really targetting those who are considering which Canadian university they would like to attend next year, or maybe even transfer to! If you're in Canada, I know you know what McGill University is. Every time I tell people to atleast apply, they seem to think it's beyond their reach. You know that's wrong! If you are able to study away from home, I don't see why McGill shouldn't be a candidate. Some kids don't like to go where other Somalis aren't, but it takes a few courageous souls to venture out first! This is a really great school, so come on and visit Montreal!

If this seems like a sorry campaign to promote my school, excuse me! *LOL*

And if by some chance, someone who attends McGill reads this, you need to holla!!!

Jazeera, welcome to the nomads' site.

McGill is a good school. It is ranked up there as one of the world's top learning institutions in Engineering and Medicine. University of Toronto and McGill University are probably the two most prestigious schools in Canada.

I think alot of Somalis think they need to master French in order to get into McGill, but that is probably an assumption.

I have never been to Montreal, but I heard it is the Paris of North America. I heard it is also very cold, but then if Somali students can live in Toronto, Minneapolis and Columbus, Montreal is going to be an acceptable choice.

Thanks for the welcome, Libaax!

I can swear to the fact that you don't have to speak a word of French to get by. McGill is an English school, and although Montreal is bilingual, the downtown area is dominantly English. Besides, Montreal is an excellent place to learn French (or you don't even have to!). So to anyone who was previously discouraged, worry no more anglophone Somalis :D !!!

Link   

Salaam

I think for most people they tend to attend Universities in their own towns. This is my case and many of the people I know, it’s rare that I find Somali’s who have trekked from other regions of Canada to attend university in my city (maybe one or two every year). Even though Montreal is just a few hours away, I’ve never really considered attending McGill (one factor that accounted to me never thinking about it was the French that was involved, I wasn’t ready to pickup another language); it was strictly Ottawa U and Carleton. It’s mainly because I’m not ready to leave my family and friends behind.

P.S: How’s Montreal? I’m planning on going shopping on boxing day, any hot places to shop @?

Hey Link,

You know, Ottawa U and Carleton were my obvious options. But to tell you the truth, I guess it was just my ambition that pushed me out of Ottawa. Of course, the most difficult problem I had to deal with was leaving my family, but it was extremely comforting to know they were only 2 hours away (beats Toronto!) Besides, I truly believe in the last two years I've spent in Montreal, I've learnt and experienced things I would NEVER come across in Ottawa. I have no doubt about that. And I also thank my parents for allowing me to leave home, because I know Somali parents are extremely protective (especially of their daughters!) Anyways, it's always up to the individual and their best wishes.

Shopping in Montreal? You know the two go hand in hand! Like any other tourist, of course make sure to check out rue St. Catherine's. There's a link-up of underground malls, starting from Le Cours Mont-Royal and extending to Les Ailes de la Mode Complex. Enjoy!

McGill Is an excellent university. I think what turned me off about it was that its in a french speaking province and I was never a big fan of french in highschool. I sorta regret not pursuing french now b'coz I don't think it hurts being bi-lingual in Canada....Oh the summer jobs I could've gotten....lol.

Tamina, I feel your pain. But you know, if you look hard enough, you can always find a loop-hole! This past summer I managed to stay in Montreal and work, despite my horrible french. I did find a loop-hole though---McGill itself! Once again, a little determination goes a long way...

Link   

This is for all the montreal folks or anyone who's willing to trek out.

Montreal Race & Equity Conference 2003

On the weekend of January 17 and 18 of 2003, McGill University will be the setting for the Montreal Race & Equity Conference.

web page

Sounds something worth while, we need ppl representin' so if anyone is interested do hit it.

Link, thanks for the webpage link. I've heard about it, but it's kind of disheartening that the McGill black student societies aren't broadcasting them more :confused: . Insha-allah, I'll try my best to attend, and contribute the Somali view on things (which I'm sure they'll appreciate SOOOO much!) ;)

Macalin   

Hey gal..shoot i forgot ur name..hold on lemme hit the back button..*memory lapse*.shiish..right Jazeera..first welkhom.lol..and secondly i see you one couaragious sister.khood job!

I visited Mcgill way back in 99(when an uncle of mines was takin his masters)..and ever since i could never take it off my head!..wat a gr8 institution it is! i hope to go back!..inshallah!

Oh one more thing!,what did you say you learnt so much better in montreal than ottawa?..they all the same to me!(maybe being away from home is wat u meant?..huh!..just pulling a leg!).again good job sista jazeera!(by the way i love carleton U)

Lol@Tammy..gurl, i cant picture you speaking french!.noo noo..you kinda strike me as a ESPANOL sista..lol

Lakkad,

I mentioned that I've experienced things in Montreal that I would've never come across in Ottawa. It's not really being away from home and family (although that's it's own challenge), it has really been the people and views I've been exposed to here. I never realized it before, but when I left Ottawa it was like enterring another world! It wasn't really intentional, but I never used to socialize with non-Somalis...and then bam, I'm in a place with practically no Somalis! Let's just say it was a test of my character, as a Somali, Muslim and individual.

But hey, all of life's a test, and it ain't over yet (inshallah), so I guess I'll just have to hold a sigh of relief :rolleyes: