Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

ZIDANE: France need his magic.....

France want Zidane magic back

ZinedineZidaneInActionGbig.jpg

Posted on 25 June 2006 - 17:52

The last time France played Spain competitively, the great Zinedine Zidane was at the peak of his powers. "It was a very good match, maybe the best I've ever played for France," Zidane had said after a 2-1 quarterfinal win over Spain at Euro 2000, a tournament throughout which he had been magnificent. Six years on, Zidane is reaching the end of his glittering career but France still need some inspiration from him when they play Spain in the second round of the World Cup on Tuesday in Hanover.

Check out SuperSMS for World Cup subscription options for your cellphone. For live and recent scores, send SWC to 34911. Each SMS charged at R2

The ageing midfield playmaker, who will retire after the finals, knows every match now could be his last.

"We want to go a long way for the team but also for him because we know it's his last major competition," midfielder Alou Diarra told reporters on Sunday. "That's an extra motivation for us."

It has been a strange World Cup so far for Zidane, who picked up a yellow card in each of France's first two matches and was suspended when they beat Togo 2-0 in their Group G decider on Friday.

Zidane, who turned 34 that day, followed the match from the changing room with defender Eric Abidal, also serving suspension.

"He was so frustrated not to play that match," Abidal said on Sunday. "He's such a competitor. He always wants to win, even when it's just training. He makes it look easy sometimes but I can tell you he works extremely hard.

"Everbody wanted to win that match (against Togo) to enable him to end his career on a high note."

France, relying on several players past their prime, have looked sluggish so far and the absence of Zidane against Togo did not stop them from winning their first World Cup match since they stunned Brazil 3-0 in the 1998 final.

The gifted son of Algerian immigrants is such a talisman, however, that France coach Raymond Domenech has no option other than to include his captain in the starting lineup on Tuesday.

"Having such a player in your team is always an advantage," Domenech said.

Abidal went further, saying the balding number 10 with the magic touch could again be the match winner against Spain.

"Spain have excellent players but they don't have Zidane," he said.

-Lily-   

He just scored, poor Spain, they held out and lost it towards the end. But both teams were equally talented, I guess the better team won.

SoMa_InC   

Aragones, the Spanish Manager is ARROGANT!

Zidane and the French team were class! Henry is having the last laugh....Did you see how Arogones was disrespecting Viera?

Ghana is out but at least there is another African team to support. :D

Wonderful stuff, Zinedine Zidane my all time favourite player has proven beyound doubt his worth to the game and to France.

I liked the young player Ribary, he gives the French a whole new dimention.

Viara, put that ***** racist coach in his place...

Zizou all the way,,,

Intel   

very enjoyable game

France were brilliant ..Vieira absolutely murdered Fabregas in the midfield..

I missed the game when it was being broadcast live couldn't handle the anxiety but I'm watching it now I don't want to miss the goals. So far the score is 1-1 Ribery was off the hook and I'm really happy for him. GD I must say the picture of Ribery and Zidane celebrating is priceless.

Tuesday I was in Chicago on a business trip and I was stunned to find out everyone at the company I was visiting was cheering for France. I didn't understand why. There is so much French "hating" in America, I didn't expect such reaction. smile.gif

But then the people I saw were true soccer fans. Some had relatives who play in the MLS and Europe. If you are a true soccer fan, you do appreciate Zidane and his magic.

Excellent game. My team is on a roll. Bring on fatty.

France played very well, Ribery performance was outstanding and without the shadow of doubt Zinedine proved his worth, but next is against the big boyz Brazil is in the waiting room. It should be a taugh and very intresting game to watch - Much luck France

I had written France off, didn't think they could beat the Spanish at all. What a surprise, eh. Almost fell off my seat @ how well they played.

Zidane is a lovely bloke, but I hope they don't make it to the Semis or I'll be forced to hand over my beautiful new turquoise trilby.

N.O.R.F   

Zizoou is in the dog-house as his wife is Spanish :D

I saw France for the first time last night and thought they played well enough to win the game. Zizzou scored a nice goal!

wears his Zidane shirt :cool:

Originally posted by Northerner:

Zizoou is in the dog-house as his wife is Spanish
:D

I remember Ronaldo used to have an Italian super model girlfriend in one of the previous world cup games and she used to wear the Brazilian jersey and cheer for him. I had deep suspicions that she never supported her country.