Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

Exchange 5.5 and Active Directory

Am trying to setup Exchange 5.5 in my company for task and calender collaboration. I have Active Directory running on the network. The system I want to install Exchange on is running Windows 2000 Server and IIS.

My questions:

1) How does Exchange 5.5 interact with Active Directory?

2) How will I join the Exchange server into the Active Directory Site; or will it have its own site?

3) I understand Active Directory and Exchange both use LDAP, will this effect how the network as a whole functions?

Thank you.

Haniif bro...I dont known if this will help but have alook and see what you think.

A) The latest beta of Windows 2000 has the Microsoft Active Directory Connector (ADC) which replicates a hierarchy of directory objects between the Exchange Server 5.5 directory and the Windows 2000 Active Directory.

Protocol 389 is used for LDAP communication but if you are running Windows 2000 and Exchange 5.5 on the same computer then you may find Exchange has problems starting the LDAP directory service and thus stopping you creating the connection.

To get around this change the port the Exchange LDAP service uses by double clicking LDAP under ConfigurationProtocols and change the protocol, e.g. to 1020. Restart the Exchange Directory service for the change to take effect.

Exchange 5.5 with service pack 3 allows you to change the port used by LDAP SSL.

Also if you install Exchange 5.5 on a 2000 Domain controller you must make the Exchange Server account a member of the local Server Operators group.

I've been referring to the Active Directory as a database of users, but that's not all you'll find in the Active Directory. Under NT 5.0, Active Directory will also contain information about the machines on the network, shares available on the network, and available applications. Active Directory will be the central repository of network configuration information.

C) Many people considered X.500 to be something of a cumbersome protocol, and the Internet world came up with LDAP, an alternative method of accessing X.500 directories. Running an LDAP client imposes less system overhead than X.500. Also, LDAP is an Internet protocol, and X.500 is a Consultative Committee for International Telegraphy and Telephony (CCITT) protocol. LDAP will definitely correct one of the sins of NT.