Sign in to follow this  
Gordon Gekko

Riyaale to win the presidency again?

After having discussed with a bunch of Slanders lately, it seems that Riyaales party has become increasingly popular and that the sitting president most likely will get re-elected for another term. Are you Slanders getting the same indications? Any comments on this, good/bad?

Sayid   

Riyale is the one who brought democracy to Somaliland. It was under him that they had the presidential elections, the parliament elections, other elections as well. Before him there were only un-elected elders that gathered once in a while to steer things. He has a very good chance of re-election if he can overcome the mounting oppositions, who are clan motivated just to remove him from power and to replace him into one of their own. As we know, Riyale is not from the "Real-Clan" ;) . He was only there for the show as guest appearance, anyway long story, it did not work that way; But He brought development, he can campaign his peaceful achievement during his tenor and that he has brought recognition very close by,,therefore if elected, it will be on the table.

He has got the money to buy votes, it only costs very little therefore the seat is his...

roobleh   

Riyale will win again for the fact that he is more popular than before and people trust him more than Silaanyo(Kulmiye part) and Waraabe(UCID party). Plus Kulmiye party whose challenge was the biggest during the last Presidential elections is said to be having its worst internal conflict, which the party could not contain yet.

Elysian   

Originally posted by Sayid

Riyale is the one who brought democracy to Somaliland.

I find the above statement astonishing... Sayid, how did Riyale bring democracy to S/Land??

I'm starting to see Mugabe-tendencies in Riyale, sadly african leaders seem to have a common predisposition for autocratic behavior once they get the taste of power. Perhaps in a young democracy, it's healthy to restrict the term of office to only one mandate.

I'm afraid we won't see a democratic election, everyone is ready for a fight to win... by any means. I hope inshaallah, I'm wrong!

RedSea   

If this is a joke, then I am not laughing. Bad joke I say.

The only way the so called riyaale will win if he robbs it.

Siilanyo should win it for the better of everyone.

Sayid   

I don't think it of as a joke. Riyale has a respectable legacy as "the peace keeper" to run for re-election. Riyale has done a great job with respect of the harsh situations he has faced. If he steps out, none of the prime alternatives such as Silanyo are too polarizing therefore could not keep the peace that area enjoyed under him.

RedSea   

You really think so Sayid?

Peace this peace that?

Adeer Somaliland should be at second stage (at least) by now....that is massive land development.

Riyaale flunked in these areas big time, nor has he shown any leadership in his time almost to be up soon, however Somalilanders need someone more charismatic to elevate them to the second level, and I am sorry Riyaale isn't the one.

Sayid   

If you want keep the piece, Riyale is the guy to be up there. The simple reason for that is, the alternatives to the both hawkish Silanyo and Warrabe, risk of igniting similar fire to that of the unrest of the south. One could even argue the northerners are more clannish bent than the southerner ever could, which without a piece with the neighbor to themselves would be as disastrous.

Riyale, even as the "guest president" from Awdal, was the uniting factor that kept the piece in this part.

Stealth,

You've asked,,, piece this, peace that? Well then, we will see to it how even that falls apart.

Anyway, it is still too early to tell, Somaliweynism could get too attractive in that time frame... ;) .

whoever wins ,,,,,,,,,, it is for the public and playing games was somehow restricted in the last voter's law passed by the Parliament.

Elysian   

The true legacy of Dahir Riyale is a man who has committed human rights abuses by detaining citizens with illegal emergency laws and holding them indefinitely in prisons without pressing any charges or detaining them without any due process.

He has on many occasions suppressed freedom of speech, assembly, and peaceful demonstrations. He has destroyed the economy by widespread corruption of the public funds without transparency and accountability.

He has ruled the country by nepotism, and appointing individuals who are loyal to the regime while expelling government officials that are critical.

And all of this president Riyale has accomplished within just four years. Imagine what great things he can do if he's appointed for another five-year term.