Sign in to follow this  
Liibaan

Somaliland is Hargeisa only and Hargeisa is Somaliland

Liibaan   

Somaliland is Hargeisa only and Hargeisa is Somaliland

In this country at all levels of government, elected and appointed officials are making decisions that profoundly affect the people. These decisions do not reach the people outside the capital Hargeisa. Elected and appointed officials must be concerned about the views and interests of all their constituents in the whole country. If these officials ignore the voters in the regions they would not hold office very long.

The five other regions of Somaliland is entirely isolated from the capital Hargeisa. There is no media whether radio, television or news papers that can reach the regions. The only source of information in this modern technology today is the people traveling to and from Hargeisa. These people often bring speculative information not the facts. If the government makes a statement in a public forum which carries more weight, there is no timely media coverage. Speeches are especially powerful means whether in parliament or the executive and needs to be presented live. Important events are not known by the people in the regions.

There is a national television as well as commercial television stations in Hargeisa. The national radio and the daily news papers are also in the capital only. All these do not reach even the regions near the capital. There is ministry of posts and communications and there is no even local postal service in the country. The internet which has become an essential communication in the world to reach the people is not widely used here. It is not possible to know the groups and individuals who are arguing against the position of this administration and there is no means to address these issues and offer counter argument timely. It is not difficult to at least upgrade radio Hargeisa to reach the whole country but the resources are being used at the wrong time and in the wrong place. There are no good roads which connect the capital to the other regions as well.

Al most one third of the population of Somaliland lives in Hargeisa. This is the only city where you can see business movements. All the resources of the country are spent in the capital and still Haregisa is a ghost city. The only road of Hargeisa is not even repaired. The trenches in this main road of the capital can damage your car. Rubbish is every where and the hygiene situation is appalling. The water is also rationing and the people get their water from dirty manholes under the bridge. The borders of Somaliland are open and it is easy to have access from any border point. Burao is completely not connected to Somaliland and uses the old notes of Somalia and have business transactions with the southern Somalia.

Counterfeit products are sold in the stores. These items are sometimes expired and nobody bothers the health hazard this can cause to the public. The trees are cut for charcoal and

There is dangerous erosion to the good soil. Donor agencies are all stationed in the capital. They usually finance the organizations in the capital and only finger tips reach the regions. The local councils are incompetent and cannot even look after what the private sector is engaged. There all sorts of products that are sold in the market and sometimes not valid for human consumption and nobody bothers. The people in the councils are badly untrained and are engaged to grab the meager resources of the public for a bribe. Almost all the budget of the central government is spent in Hargeisa and you cannot see any development any where. Corruption plagued all levels of government and it is difficult to get a remedy in future.

The government of Hargeisa is so far in different to the new developments in the south as if it does not affect them. If they do not comment on the situation and inform the public their position on time this will create the administration and the people to head in opposite directions. Keeping silent in these situations will make the issue more complex and not easy to solve in future.

Understanding politics is not simply a matter of learning about different forms of governments and elections only. Politics is the attempt of people to regulate the society in which they live. The people want to control their government but do not want their government to control them beyond the limits of providing law and order and a healthy society. The problem of creating workable balance between liberty of the individual and authority of the state is the crucial job which must be accomplished before any system can work and survive.

Democracy means active participation by all citizens in all the affairs of the country. The participation of the people in the decision making of their country is exercised through their elected representatives and the political parties who will make the check and balance on behalf of the people. This will greatly increase the size and functions of the government not reduce it.

Allowing more political parties will cut the chain of three parties with the same leadership dominating the political scene for ever. More political parties contesting are sound democracy in action. It is not possible that only 3 persons dominate the political spectrum forever. This means keeping always a loosing candidate at the party ticket.

In this respect the constitution is the highest law of the country. An amendment on the provision of the political parties needs to be made so that this can address contemporaneous practical problems. It is not fair that every body take the law of the country in his own hands and make interpretations of his own to fit their choice.

The parliament being the legislative body of the country should enact this amendment before the presidential election so that the country is saved from authoritarian rule which ultimately lead to conflicts and turmoil. The parliament already experienced the single handedness of the administration and the inability of the opposition to make any difference and I think this is a force than can move them to fulfill the will of the people requiring an amendment in the constitution allowing more political parties.

The people who announced a political party should make the necessary lobbying through the proper channel (parliament) and I am sure they are ready now to listen to their constituents. If democracy is to gain root and flourish citizens should be allowed to meaningfully exercise their democratic rights and the 3 persons always at the top of the parties be challenged.

Public relations are a means for engaging constituents in constructive dialogue. The news media is an excellent vehicle for disseminating information to the people. It also enhances the public awareness of the society to know what is happening in their country as well as the outside world. There is no acceptable reason at all from this administration why radio Hargeisa cannot be upgraded and developed to reach the whole country so that the people are interconnected and get information at least at the moment.

Ibrahim Adam Ghalib

NGONGE   

^^^ Glad to see that you finally accepted Somaliland as your nation and are trying to point out the faults of the government. :D

Jokes aside, don't you think your posting of this article is a bit silly?

Liibaan   

Saxib, my country is Soomaaliya,

The article is solely the opinion of the writer; it doesn’t reflect my own opinions

I don’t always post articles that reflect my views, like some SOLers who all they know is propaganda, I read what others think, and sometimes I share articles wrote by those who don’t support my views

This article is for northwest Somalis (ee ayagu isku bixiyey Somalilanders)

Taleexi   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^^ Glad to see that you finally accepted Somaliland as your nation and are trying to point out the faults of the government.
:D

Jokes aside, don't you think your posting of this article is a bit silly?

Whether Garad Canod accepts the legitimacy of SL or not is beside the point.. It would be wise that one asks himself whether the thing call Somaliland deserves to be a nation or not with its current shape and form, I ask?

RedSea   

lol@ thing called Somaliland. Why stress the time or the energy on that 'thing' then. Read my lipse, Hargeysa or even xaafad Hargeysa ka mid ha ahaato, its non of YOUR BUSSINESS. Get a job, or go farm the farms down in Sool, your time is need there.

However, the author does make some valid points. And some are just pure exaggerations.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Mansa Munsa:

It would be wise that one asks himself whether the thing call Somaliland deserves to be a nation or with its current shape and form, I ask?

In your view and for comparitive purposes, who is more of a nation today in terms of its political foundations/make up (multi party democracy, elected parliament etc) Somalia or Somaliland?

Lets be honest with ourselves here, if it wasnt for the disputed land not many people would really care. Including the somaliweynists ;)

Elysian   

Perhaps some of the details the author is over-exaggerating, but nevertheless I think the main point is true and some of the issues are indeed problems that needs to be addressed rather sooner than later.

I think for the country to have a more distributed development, many sections within the government needs to be decentralized. The needs and the conditions vary depending on the different regions, and I don't think a poor, weak centralized government have any chance of tackling these problems.

A.J.   

Well Put Elysian,

I think that it would be very good for the further development of Somaliland that a process of decentralisation is initiated. at the much too much of the decision making and administration of Somaliland is made in hargeisa and through a process of spill over this results in all the general developments being seen mostly in hargeysa.

I know that i am being a bit more biased here but i feel that Sheikh is at the heart of Somaliland and i feel some part of the executive power should go there :D

Lake   

Originally posted by Renegade:

Well Put Elysian,

I know that i am being a bit more biased here but i feel that Sheikh is at the heart of Somaliland and i feel some part of the executive power should go there
:D

I think you have to go a little up-north.

Haha...I think Berbera is. Berbera is the heart of SL. There are alot of activies going on in Berbera now.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Garaad Canood:

Saxib, my country is Soomaaliya,

The article is solely the opinion of the writer; it doesn’t reflect my own opinions

I don’t always post articles that reflect my views, like some SOLers who all they know is propaganda, I read what others think, and sometimes I share articles wrote by those who don’t support my views

This article is for northwest Somalis (ee ayagu isku bixiyey Somalilanders)

Somehow I knew you would miss the point :D

You don't accept Somaliland as a nation yet here you are posting an article that clearly does so! war es dheeb ban ku edhi. It's obvious that you have a soft spot for the idea but your unresolved complaints are stopping you from giving in to your feelings. Or else, you're just mad (no offence, think the whole thing through). :D

Liibaan   

Somehow I knew you would miss the point

You certainly misunderstood why I posted this article,

I posted this article is to show that soc-called Somaliland faction is weak and confined only in Hergeysa, and fortunately you can’t say the article is bias because it was written by a confused secessionist

Sxb cuqdada saar, don’t make it big deal if I posted small article written by a insignificant man who has no country complaining about the ineffectiveness of his rebel faction

See other articles I posted in the politics section,instead of making issue of why I posted this article

You don't accept Somaliland as a nation yet here you are posting an article that clearly does so!

The fact is that it doesn't exist,

Everyone including children knows that there no country or nation called Somaliland,

The author is revealing the weaknesses of the sland faction that’s the point

When a British reporter or MP criticize the wrongdoing of his government like Mr.Gollaway,

Some people like Arabs and muslims are welcoming because they are against the British imperialism

Recently, secessionists in this site supported some Somali politicians like Sheikh sheriff, Aweys, who oppose TFG, although these politicians consider themselves as somalis from Somalia, support the territorial integrity and unity of Somalia, and most importantly some of these politicians condemned the notion of secessionism, why they still support ? Because they willing to support anyone will oppose or challenge the TFG

When a secessionist criticize the weaknesses of his rebel faction (clan militia), those who oppose the secession will welcome, thats common sense

It's obvious that you have a soft spot for the idea

Miskiin, I am sorry to disappoint you, in reality you don’t know what you talking about

I never supported the secession, and I will never support it get that, I believe it’s foolish to entertain unfeasible daydreams of snm faction like outdated clan-feithdom, restoration of old European colony

war es dheeb ban ku edhi.

oo yaan isku dhiibaa mawaxaan jirin, jiridoonina

war hurdada ka kaca, waxaa lasoo gaaray wakhtigii aad naaf taada u sheegileheed

cid dunida maanta u diyaar inay maaaweelisu riyada sland majiru

Or else, you're just mad

Don’t insult me, simply discuss the issues not G. Caanood,

Saxib, aflagaadada nagadaa oo kaftan ku badal

waa uun wada hadlanaa

Taleexi   

Originally posted by Northerner:

quote:Originally posted by Mansa Munsa:

It would be wise that one asks himself whether the thing call Somaliland deserves to be a nation or with its current shape and form, I ask?

In your view and for comparitive purposes, who is more of a nation today in terms of its political foundations/make up (multi party democracy, elected parliament etc) Somalia or Somaliland?

Lets be honest with ourselves here, if it wasnt for the disputed land not many people would really care. Including the somaliweynists
;)
Based on my own observations I've come to this conclusion, your administration's governing structure is relatively mature. With that said, first your admin, SL, can't be a multi-ethnic nation given its current shape and form, the fallacies of your argument are out there all to see for instance the multi party system that you indicated, isn't each party represent one of your subclan_Xs, is that what you call multi party system or an oasis of democracy. Secondly, the secessionist's dogma coupled the ethnocentric of your clan and impracticality approach towards the inalienable right of the citizens of SSC regions, are killing the cause of seeking nationhood in the considered enclave......... all I anticipate to say is that just bite what you can swallow.. ;)

N.O.R.F   

Based on my own observations I've come to this conclusion, Somaliland administration's government structure is relatively mature. With that said, first your admin, SL, can't be a multi-ethnic nation given its current shape and form, the fallacies of your argument are out there all to see for instance the multi party that you mentioned, isn't each party represent one of your subclan_Xs, is that what you call multi party or an oasis of democracy.

Point the finger is all you do ya Munsa. Given, the political parties are clan inclined and we all wish for a perfect world but this is Africa. I did ask you who is more of a nation today (in terms of political ‘maturity’), Somaliland or Somalia?

Secondly, the secessionist's dogma coupled the ethnocentric of your clan and impracticality approach towards the inalienable right of the citizens of SSC regions, are killing the cause of seeking nationhood in the considered enclave.........

As I said, nobody would care about Somaliland’s proposed succession if it wasn’t for the disputed regions.

Ps

Maybe citizens of ‘parts’ of SSC regions would be a better term to use ;)

Taleexi   

Indeed TIA!, this is Africa, have you watched blood diamond.?, Mr. Northerner, unless your administration realizes the universality of self-determination and aspirations of all peoples, I am afraid that your people may be singing in a vacuum.

Rest assured, hope your administration develops further in the areas of its domain and eventually integrates the Somali Republic...