Che -Guevara

Mr. Mohamed Heebaan, Ali Bahar Ph D Vs Abdul Ahmed III, Janet Britt

galbeedi   
9 hours ago, Dhagax-Tuur said:

1. Regional emirates with considerable powers both home and foreign,  which is what they all want. 

Having local control of the basic services is the ultimate desire of every Somali. By nature, we Somalis are fiercely independent almost to the borderline  of anarchism.  At the moment , the Somali regions are not interested about federal system or even delegation of power to towns and cities. Federalism would force them to allow the locals to manage their affairs and collect taxes.  Might even force direct  taxation from the federal government, they will be no longer able to print money, build regional armies and have their own foreign policy. They have neglected their basic duties of set up local administration according to the federal system.

I do not blame them for some of the shortcomings since they have to fend off themselves and take care of their own security by creating local militia, but peaceful regions like Puntland should have moved to the next level.

I hope in the near future that the federal government doesn't need to interfere the elections and politicians of the regions as long as they abide by the charter and constitution. At the moment, it is the duty of the federal government to eliminate those who are serving the interest of the neighbors who are fighting us both in the international arena and within Somalia through proxy forces.

Direct democracy and real delegation of power is a threat to the regional leaders and to many Somali tribes. It has been 15 years since Somaliland held parliamentary elections and Puntalnd doesn't even have any elections in the cards after 21 years.  How can they blame the national government for incompetence while keeping the status quo for themselves,   especially  Puntalnd without implementing any  direct democracy and delegation of power. 

2. To arrange a proper social contract between Somali weyn. Bring them under a tent be honest with each other. I know,  easier said than done

By nature Somali tribes are greedy and unjust. The idea of tribes coming together and forging a national charter without no one enforcing these agreements is a folly that exists only in Somalia. Peace is achieved through strength. Al-shabaab might be defeated one day, but the dysfunction of the regions and throat cut tribal competition  inherited for the last 30 years, would stay with as for a long time. If we let them to design their own narrow interest for the nation, they will use the typical Geeljire methods of winners taking all. Yet, despite the hubris of these tribes, each one of them is venerable. They might celebrate a short victory , but history has shown that  no tribe is  invincible in the nation of the nomads.

Just look at Tukaraq and other places. THese entities are fighting to dominate and control people who should be free to choose their  own destiny --Sool and Sanaag. The same goes with those ridding the Kenyan tanks. They have no interest of people voting or agreeing with a fair charter. The idea of tribes accepting and being honest to each other is impossible. Gari laba nin kama wada qosliso. Ninka qaadiga ahi (The judge) markuu xukumayo gacan ku dhiiglaha ma ahan in uu la ooyo ama ka naxo.

Also, history has shown that tribes do not judge or  even adjudicate justice.. When was the last time you seen a real court dispensing justice and convicting anyone among the tribal homelands?. We must have a just arpiter who has the ultimate legitimacy to right the wrongs and that should be the national government and the national army represented by every villager.

. So, we can't let tribes dictate, national destiny. Besides, tribes are narrow minded, some even think that the wealth of the nation might not be enough to divide among the people. Xataa garan maayaan in dalku ina wada deeqayo.That is why they taking as much as they can when they get power. I wish tribes would vote for their own interest, yet they even fail those  basic things. 

3. We need a dictatorial system,  centralized and bring everyoneone in line by force

These so called fear of dictatorship is a political maneuverings of the opposition. The era of dictatorship is gone and it is not going to come back. Few years ago, around 2014,  I asked a local professor about prospect of a national government being achieved in the coming years. He said , it will take 25 to 30 years, it might be slow but is the nature of democracy. No one should wait another 30 years to have a national government.

Even democracy has due dates and ways to pass unpopular bills regardless of the opposition. A national leader must accommodate the regions, yet at the same time , he must understand that the overriding responsibility of fulfilling his national duties of securing the nation must be paramount despite  the constant grumbling of the opposition. Personally, I favour a benevolent authoritarian leader  who would pacify the nation first and then deal the internal housekeeping issues later.

I bet if these maneuvers were done by Hassan Sheikh or others these smear campaign of dictatorship wouldn't have been used. 

Our Islamic tradition teaches us the the power or the " Chair" is in the heavens and Allah the almighty bestows it whom he wishes. It is the will of Allah that a slow speaking and reclusive man from Ansalooti, Banadir to become the head of the state and many of our compatriots are up in arms.

Some guys in Hargeisa, Gaalkacayo and Mogadishu are probably terrified of anything led by the Kacaan community. Since most of the Al-shabaab and and the threat to security emanates from the land of the two rivers, the federal government has a duty to interfere both politically and militarily. Puntalnd should not have to worry for now. 

But, if they keep mixing up with bad actors in Jubba , and the gulf, then the national army might land in Galdogob and slowly move to Boosaaso and kick the fat Arabs from the country which is the  legitimate right of the federal army to secure ports and points of entry.  I know it is a long way from that scenario, and I hope  the separatists and their brethren in Puntalnd should not lose any sleep for now. I do not know about tomorrow.

WE must allow those who have mandate to govern to implement their agenda . If they fail , throw them out office next time. despite the talk of dictatorship, I haven't seen anyone accuse Farmaajo of tribalism. In fact, there is no one from Gedo even working inside  the office of the president.

Waar waxa meesha ka talinaya Madaxweyne aan qabiil lahayn. Madaxweyne aan cidna ilaa hadda ku eedeyn in uu lacag dhacay. Daara ma dhisan sidii kii ka horeeyey. 

Anyway, we do not oppose a fair and democracy based federal system. 

in conclusion, Our friend Deni has to make his mind.  If he  joins the national agenda and oppose Kenya, UAE and others we will welcome him and help his efforts to bring prosperity to Puntland, but if he joins the axis of evil and those who are our current enemies, may Allah help, because we might get him.

Secession is not a serious option for Puntland because that will not work as Somaliland demonstrated. Even the rich Emirates united to form United ARAB Emirates. Most Puntlanders are against secession and want to see the federal system to succeed. Unfortunately the rest of Somalis want to go back to one city Mogadishu rule which has been disaster for Somalia. What Puntland leaders need to do is be patient and continue to push for decentralized federal system where all Somalis are stakeholders in order to establish effective home rule in the interest for all Somalis.

Galbeedi the problem for strong national is not because of Kenya/UAE/Saudi Arabia as you claim and regional governments who are not following the federal government. The problem is Farmaajo & Khayre have forgotten their core mission which is get rid of shabaab and ultimately Amisom. They are creating enemies of regional governments who have, like Puntland, more effective governance and security. 

The effective power of the federal government will follow once they show their demonstration in fighting shabaab, defeating them and ultimately removing Amisom troops from the country. They have no business getting in the midst  of useless Gulf Arab quarrels.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:30 AM, Peace Action said:

Secession is not a serious option for Puntland because that will not work as Somaliland demonstrated. Even the rich Emirates united to form United ARAB Emirates. Most Puntlanders are against secession and want to see the federal system to succeed. Unfortunately the rest of Somalis want to go back to one city Mogadishu rule which has been disaster for Somalia. What Puntland leaders need to do is be patient and continue to push for decentralized federal system where all Somalis are stakeholders in order to establish effective home rule in the interest for all Somalis.

He is not talking about a secession.  It looks like he says Somalia will never be a nation sate.  Hence Puntland must save itself from the wolf pack.   He seems to have determined the end result.  Read all his articles references he used .

On 9/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, galbeedi said:

Having local control of the basic services is the ultimate desire of every Somali. By nature, we Somalis are fiercely independent almost to the borderline  of anarchism.  At the moment , the Somali regions are not interested about federal system or even delegation of power to towns and cities. Federalism would force them to allow the locals to manage their affairs and collect taxes.  Might even force direct  taxation from the federal government, they will be no longer able to print money, build regional armies and have their own foreign policy. They have neglected their basic duties of set up local administration according to the federal system.

I do not blame them for some of the shortcomings since they have to fend off themselves and take care of their own security by creating local militia, but peaceful regions like Puntland should have moved to the next level.

I hope in the near future that the federal government doesn't need to interfere the elections and politicians of the regions as long as they abide by the charter and constitution. At the moment, it is the duty of the federal government to eliminate those who are serving the interest of the neighbors who are fighting us both in the international arena and within Somalia through proxy forces.

Direct democracy and real delegation of power is a threat to the regional leaders and to many Somali tribes. It has been 15 years since Somaliland held parliamentary elections and Puntalnd doesn't even have any elections in the cards after 21 years.  How can they blame the national government for incompetence while keeping the status quo for themselves,   especially  Puntalnd without implementing any  direct democracy and delegation of power. 

By nature Somali tribes are greedy and unjust. The idea of tribes coming together and forging a national charter without no one enforcing these agreements is a folly that exists only in Somalia. Peace is achieved through strength. Al-shabaab might be defeated one day, but the dysfunction of the regions and throat cut tribal competition  inherited for the last 30 years, would stay with as for a long time. If we let them to design their own narrow interest for the nation, they will use the typical Geeljire methods of winners taking all. Yet, despite the hubris of these tribes, each one of them is venerable. They might celebrate a short victory , but history has shown that  no tribe is  invincible in the nation of the nomads.

Just look at Tukaraq and other places. THese entities are fighting to dominate and control people who should be free to choose their  own destiny --Sool and Sanaag. The same goes with those ridding the Kenyan tanks. They have no interest of people voting or agreeing with a fair charter. The idea of tribes accepting and being honest to each other is impossible. Gari laba nin kama wada qosliso. Ninka qaadiga ahi (The judge) markuu xukumayo gacan ku dhiiglaha ma ahan in uu la ooyo ama ka naxo.

Also, history has shown that tribes do not judge or  even adjudicate justice.. When was the last time you seen a real court dispensing justice and convicting anyone among the tribal homelands?. We must have a just arpiter who has the ultimate legitimacy to right the wrongs and that should be the national government and the national army represented by every villager.

. So, we can't let tribes dictate, national destiny. Besides, tribes are narrow minded, some even think that the wealth of the nation might not be enough to divide among the people. Xataa garan maayaan in dalku ina wada deeqayo.That is why they taking as much as they can when they get power. I wish tribes would vote for their own interest, yet they even fail those  basic things. 

These so called fear of dictatorship is a political maneuverings of the opposition. The era of dictatorship is gone and it is not going to come back. Few years ago, around 2014,  I asked a local professor about prospect of a national government being achieved in the coming years. He said , it will take 25 to 30 years, it might be slow but is the nature of democracy. No one should wait another 30 years to have a national government.

Even democracy has due dates and ways to pass unpopular bills regardless of the opposition. A national leader must accommodate the regions, yet at the same time , he must understand that the overriding responsibility of fulfilling his national duties of securing the nation must be paramount despite  the constant grumbling of the opposition. Personally, I favour a benevolent authoritarian leader  who would pacify the nation first and then deal the internal housekeeping issues later.

I bet if these maneuvers were done by Hassan Sheikh or others these smear campaign of dictatorship wouldn't have been used. 

Our Islamic tradition teaches us the the power or the " Chair" is in the heavens and Allah the almighty bestows it whom he wishes. It is the will of Allah that a slow speaking and reclusive man from Ansalooti, Banadir to become the head of the state and many of our compatriots are up in arms.

Some guys in Hargeisa, Gaalkacayo and Mogadishu are probably terrified of anything led by the Kacaan community. Since most of the Al-shabaab and and the threat to security emanates from the land of the two rivers, the federal government has a duty to interfere both politically and militarily. Puntalnd should not have to worry for now. 

But, if they keep mixing up with bad actors in Jubba , and the gulf, then the national army might land in Galdogob and slowly move to Boosaaso and kick the fat Arabs from the country which is the  legitimate right of the federal army to secure ports and points of entry.  I know it is a long way from that scenario, and I hope  the separatists and their brethren in Puntalnd should not lose any sleep for now. I do not know about tomorrow.

WE must allow those who have mandate to govern to implement their agenda . If they fail , throw them out office next time. despite the talk of dictatorship, I haven't seen anyone accuse Farmaajo of tribalism. In fact, there is no one from Gedo even working inside  the office of the president.

Waar waxa meesha ka talinaya Madaxweyne aan qabiil lahayn. Madaxweyne aan cidna ilaa hadda ku eedeyn in uu lacag dhacay. Daara ma dhisan sidii kii ka horeeyey. 

Anyway, we do not oppose a fair and democracy based federal system. 

in conclusion, Our friend Deni has to make his mind.  If he  joins the national agenda and oppose Kenya, UAE and others we will welcome him and help his efforts to bring prosperity to Puntland, but if he joins the axis of evil and those who are our current enemies, may Allah help, because we might get him.

Galbeedi you miss the point.   The guy seems to have done his job , he said 10 years of observations and study.   He is not talking about only  what form of government.  He  says Somalia will never be a nation sate.   Hence Puntland must save itself from the wolf pack.

I agree.     He seems to have determined the end result.  Read all his articles references he used .

galbeedi   
14 hours ago, Warsame Dheere said:

He is not talking about only  what form of government.  He  says Somalia will never be a nation sate.   Hence Puntland must save itself from the wolf pack.

14 hours ago, Warsame Dheere said:

He is not talking about a secession.  It looks like he says Somalia will never be a nation sate.  Hence Puntland must save itself from the wolf pack

Warsame,

If the Mogadishu quagmire continues without end in site, many Somalis might join the writer and look for exit. 

Personally, I want the current leader, Farmaajo, to succeed, but at the end of the four years , if all we see in Mogadishu is blocked roods , check points and rich oligarchs , then people will seek alternatives. In that regard, he may have some points.

I remember in 2011, when I visited back home in Awdal, I had a long conversation with some wise elders . One of them told me that, " In 1991, most of Somalis went crazy, and we thought to medicate and help those who were close to us, and at the end, we expected to wait for others to gain their conscience and come together as a nation again"

Soomaalidu mar haday wada waalatay, waxaanu is nidhi bal kuwan deriska aad tihiin, ee dadka waalan uGu horeeya marada ku qabta oo daweeye inta kuwa kalena soo miyirsanayaan"

He said, we did our part of forming a semblance of a system and government. We have been waiting for South Somalia to come from the coma and restart the national project, yet there was nothing in sight. 

That was eight years ago. 

last week I met a guy which I didn't see for almost ten years. In those days, He was a fervent separatist, but since then things are changed and he is willing to amend fences with other Somalis.

After few discussions he said, " Even if we decide to join the union today, where would we go?, do you want us throw the people to Al-shbaab infested region" 

Waar Muuse Biixi wax badabn naga qaadan mayo haddii aynu damacno in aynu tuurnee, dadka xageenu nageyn. Waan Go'aynaa aynuun baanu ku daalnay, laaakiin dad iyo dal laga go'aaba majiro"  at the end he sarcastically said, " Waar dad kaama Jiro koonfur".

Some people are disappointed that even if they desire a union , the southern politician is not fulfilling his duty to pacify one major city--Mogadishu.

So, Mr. Warsame, if things do not improve soon, a whole lot of questions will be asked by this fellow and others. There is no need of complacency.

I hope it is not just a game for the Southern man.

Haatu   

For how much longer will we continue to beat a dead horse? Is it time we look for newer solutions instead of rehashing the same old failed strategies? At independence we inherited from the colonialists a system which they enforced and had built from the top down to meet their needs. The system was continued due to the Somaliweyn fervour at the time and the desire to liberate the occupied lands. However, before long with the whip of the colonialist gone cracks started to appear in the edifice and gradually became bigger and bigger. The military regime came in 1969 promising to re-plaster and to strengthen the foundation of the edifice. However, that too failed and the building finally crumbled in 1990.

Since then, we have devoted all our efforts and attention to rebuilding that system in one manner or another (centralist or federalist), but fundamentally a system based on the colonial one; which if you recall was a foreign system to begin with which was enforced by the barrel of the gun. In short, nidaam xera-u-dhalad ma aha. 

So I repeat, after 30 years of failure and 30 years of abject failure, is it now time to abandon that colonial system and replace it with an indigenous one? Miyaynu awoodnaa inaynu tuurno nidaamkaas gumaystuhu uu nooga tagay oo aynu ku baddalnaa mid xera-u-dhalad ah oo ka turjumi karo xaaladdeena iyo dhaqankeenaa, kaas oo ku salaysan taariikhdeena? Mise wareerkan ayaynu weligeen ku jirnaa?

Haatu   
On 9/9/2019 at 5:39 AM, galbeedi said:

One might argue that both Puntland and Somaliland might have served the people well during the warlord and antachy times, but if they do not move to join the nation state, the civil war would come back to these parts. 

In Somaliland, tribal quarrell is getting ugly and the only way to resolve is to look higher ideals like joining the federal government. Any tribal " Xadhig isu Dhiib" will not fix the system.You can't bribe tribes for the small meagres that supposed to build schools. 

A national government might cure some of these illnesses. 

Secession is not the panacea some think it to be. Somaliland is a case in point. They simply replicated the same failed system of the Somali Republic with the same results which we are seeing today. Xalku waa nidaam cusub oo xera-u-dhalad ah. Not more of the same which is what both you and the secessionists are suggesting.

Haatu   
On 9/9/2019 at 3:28 PM, Dhagax-Tuur said:

Sorry,  but national govt is not a silver bullet.  I think one of the following options:

1. Regional emirates with considerable powers both home and foreign,  which is what they all want. 

2. To arrange a proper social contract between Somali weyn. Bring them under a tent be honest with each other. I know,  easier said than done. 

3. We need a dictatorial system,  centralized and bring every one in line by force. 

No.1 seems the most likely and what most people yearn for, whether they admit it out loud or not. The reason for that might be it is a system that resembles the indigenous system that existed before colonialism if not the exact thing. In short, it is as close to an indigenous system as possible under the circumstances today but not ideal in my opinion.

Haatu   

The advent of China and most of human history has shown us that Western democracy is not the only way to succeed (whether they are even succeeding is doubtful), nor are so-called Western "values" universal. If we even were to accept that such a notion exists, it would be idiosyncratic at best. 

We would do well to learn from the histories of nations and our own for that matter. Dow ma aha in nidaam laguu yeeriyo. Waa in aad leedahay karti aad ku hindisi kartid nidaam adi kuu qalmo oo waayahaaga iyo xaaladaada ka turjumi kara. We need a new system.

If, despite all these years of futile attempts in overcoming our failed nation status, it is evident that there are some who are willing to try a new system and there are some who rigidly cling onto the colonial system that went by the name of the Somali Republic, I see it fit that the two sides go there separate ways and we see which side succeeds. I have no doubts that the colonial project will fail and continue to fail.

The clan based Federalism in Ex-Italian Colony of Somalia will only bring more divisions. 

The fact remains, no one on his right mind will relinguish power, it is very hard to relingiush it. Hence the clan fiefdoms in Ex-Italian Somalia will not willingly relinguish their powers. This tag of war will continue unless the regions over power each other or form coalitions in order to embose their authority over renegade clan fiefdoms.  

Those regions that succeed in creating a a robust economy and collect more tax will have better chance of surviving. 

Do not expect humpty-dumpty to be put together anytime soon. Gulibble folks like Galbeedi have no idea about the power of the undercurrents - siyaasada ha isdiidsan. 

Forget about Somaliland, it is gone. There are plans to flush out Garowe Administration from East Sanaag, will happily break the news as it unfolds. 

galbeedi   
12 hours ago, Haatu said:

One might argue that both Puntland and Somaliland might have served the people well during the warlord and antachy times, but if they do not move to join the nation state, the civil war would come back to these parts

Haatu,

What I meant is if they don't join the Nation State Of Somalia and continue with current formula of using " Tribal Harmony" as substitute for institutions, I have no doubt the civil war will come.

By the way, you raised good questions about the copying the colonial system. Will join that debate this weekend.  

WARDHEERNEWS.COM

By Abdul Ahmed III Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. Dwight Eisenhower This article reflects on my views as … Continued

September 23, 2019

By Abdul Ahmed III

Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history
to wait for the train of the future to run over him. Dwight Eisenhower

This article reflects on my views as it reinforces my arguments on and about the former Somalia (1960-1991).  The following points are for the optimists and skeptics alike.  I have no desire – or at a minimum reluctant to – convert the cynics for they may be hostages for an illusion. 

1. The Former Somalia:  A technical and a Political Term

The term “former Somalia”  is an academic and a technical term as well as a political term.  I first used the term in 2009 to characterize the collapse of the former Somali Republic 1960-1991 (Please refer to my WardheerNews article The Former Somalia: Facts and Fallacies).   The term also signifies  the abstract idea that whatever is left of the former Somalia is not the Somalia of the past.!  Think of the Ship of Theseus! (or refer to my article titled Saving Somalia: Theseus Paradox).

The term is equally a political term embodying and articulating a political viewpoint; Awareness of failure, irreversibility, and the need to abandon a Mogadishu based Somali state. The former Somalia didn’t work; it was not viable!. Otherwise, it would exist today.  Its collapse is complete and irreversible.  Ethnic and religious homogeneity does not guarantee statehood. (there are too many examples in the world  to list).

The collapse of the former Somalia is certainly not the highest achievement for what was supposed to be a homogenous nation-state. But there is nothing exceptional or unique about that.  Nations fail, disintegrate, and life goes on!  The exception in this case – and for that matter the problem- is the interminable attempts to restore the past, the imposition of a forced coexistence by attempting to restore the former Somalia.!  A pointless effort for 29-years!

The idea of a sacrosanct Mogadishu based nation-state is a dangerous notion advanced by the decadent heroes of Mogadishu. Let me state the forbidden truth; there is nothing divine or sacred about a Somali-nation state.   There is nothing holy or sacred about the old blue flag of the former Somalia.  (itself modeled on the United Nations flag after contentious discussions in Mogadishu back in 1950s). 

2.On the Misfortunes of Puntland

Is Puntland ill-fated? The answer is a resounding “No”!   Bewitched though it may!  Here is an excellent way to appreciate the abstract idea of Puntland Bewitched.  Sometimes, ideas embedded in literature do an excellent job of explaining social and political life.

Essayist like the late Christopher Hitchens often use the classics to show us present-day ironies.   So let us make use of literature and particularly the story of John Marcher; the Beats in the Jungle in the celebrated work of Henry James titled “Best Sorts”.

This story can beautifully demonstrate the irony of Puntland’s idée fixe. Just like John Marcher, deferred living a good life for an obsession with a future event that will change his destiny, the leaders of Puntland (past and present) are fixated with a glorious a future event!.

Puntland is obsessed with an ordained and an illusory Somali-nation state.  I worry that Puntland, just like John Marcher would realize it didn’t live to its full potential.  I advise Puntland not to suspend judgment; Don’t live in the past! Shape the future – your future!  Puntland must unchain itself from Mogadishu. Puntland must focus on building human capital, that is unchallengeable sacred mission! A better fixation? Irrefutably Yes!

3.The Language of Patriotism / (Pan)-Somalism: Past and Present

I want the reader to understand that the concept of nationhood is culturally rooted phenomena, the conception of the former Somalia is no different. Somali political and social life itself is based on some established frames of reference, some mode of knowing and established cultural schema.

Pan-Somalism – the idea of Somali nation-state – was just one of those epistemological frames, a framing and language intended to liberate, to wage war against colonial powers.    A framing with which Somali peopled achieved some sort of a socio-political cohesion. The idea of a Somali-nation state may have had currency in the 1940s. It worked for the anti-colonial movements! Sadly, it didn’t work for the Somalis to govern themselves in a single united nation-state.

Today! Patriotism / (Pan)-Somalism – as a political and cultural framing -is appropriated by the decadent heroes of Mogadishu. The decadent’s heroes of Mogadishu are acrimonious self-appointed custodians of Somalism whose raison d’etre is to subjugate the peaceful areas of the former Somalia. 

For them, the language of Patriotism / (Pan)-Somalism is a tool to conduct political contestation, for abuse and coercion against Puntland, and Jubbaland (and Somaliland to a lesser extent).  Patriotism / (Pan)-Somalism has become a language of war, subjugation, A sacred abuse!  A call for submission, a surrender to relinquish one’s history and identity.   What is sacred about that? What to like about that?

Abdul Ahmed III
Email:drahmed0604@gmail.com

————-
Abdul Ahmed is the president and founder of Strategy and Operations Group and former employee of International Financial Institutions (IFIs) in Washington DC.

galbeedi   
On 9/12/2019 at 6:27 AM, Haatu said:

So I repeat, after 30 years of failure and 30 years of abject failure, is it now time to abandon that colonial system and replace it with an indigenous one?

At the moment we are neither following the colonial one or the non existent indigenous one. Rule of law and institution building can be copied from the developed system of the west combined with our Islamic tradition. 

We are in the stages of sixties or seventies. You do not need to reinvent the wheel. What does it take the for a city to create tax base from the citizens and collect garbage and police the streets. The truth is there are no developed indigenous system within Somalia. If you are backward in civic , labour and tax rules in your community, it is not a shame to copy from the successful systems.

Our problem is we are not even copying things correctly. In Somaliland we are using the nineteen seventy system of centralized rule were city council secretaries are appointed from the capital (communist headquarters).  

It is combination of money things that hinder the development of the system. Poverty, leadership and backward looking culture among them. The indigenous system could be successful in terms of peace building and reconciliation, but not institutional government system.

Warsame,

On 9/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, Warsame Dheere said:

The idea of a sacrosanct Mogadishu based nation-state is a dangerous notion advanced by the decadent heroes of Mogadishu.

The guy could have a good point if he chooses to advance or pinpoint the " Mogadishu based" government system or the notion that dictates without Mogadishu there will not be a nation state. he could have a great point to expand on that argument.

History has shown that a lot of sacrifices have been done by Somalis to pacify that town. Also to say that as long as Mogadishu isn't peaceful their will not be a Somali state is realy crime committed against Somalis.There are millions of Somalis who would welcome to be the national capital. 

THe latest bragging of former president who seem to be using the tribal position of the capital proves the writer's idea that Mogadishu isn't sacrosanct. Despite the unfair advantage and billions earned in Mogadishu , certain segments of the Mogadishu elite didn't get message and the feelings of others.Somali should be based the concept of one town--period.

Also, the idea of Mogadishu taking hostage of the national agenda is debate its time has arrived. Remember, the provisional constitution does allow the relocation of the capital if the parliament agrees on it.

As I said,, Mr. Ahmed has a point on that , but he mixes that with the argument of dismissing the Somali nation state. The Somali nation state isn't different than the rest of the world. Culture, history, religion , geography and many things tie people together. It is a shame that it took 30 years to put back the nation, but a combination of many things made the conflict drag on . Do not forget, we had a neighbor like Ethiopia who unleashed the worst of any Somali ideology: tribal, warlordism, criminals, religious extremists and secessionists. 

We have to thank God despite all this plots we are still standing. 

Also, before the arrival of the colonial system we are free and independent and confederate tribes each roaming his own land. Some had old histories like Adal or the Ajuuraan or other Northern Sultanates. 

What united us was the Somali state that made as unique people who should have a place among the nation states. If that Somali nation  state is no longer there, then we must all go back to our old tribal confederates and be our own entity.

I can assure you that if one region separates, the Somali state will disintegrate with the seven or eight more wannabe nations.