Che -Guevara

Mr. Mohamed Heebaan, Ali Bahar Ph D Vs Abdul Ahmed III, Janet Britt

The Debate Continues after 10 years,  Abdul Ahmed III & Janet Britt   Vs  Ali Bahar  & M Heebaan

Here is Abdul's  latest prove of irreversible damage to nationhood of Somalia. 

Published on Sept 7, 2019  

PUNTLAND BEWITCHED: QUESTIONS ABOUT RESTORATION OF PUNTLND’S SOVEREIGNTY AND THE FORMAL PARTITIONING OF THE FORMER SOMALIA

September 7, 2019

By Abdul Ahmed III

Somalia has been a nation-state for a mere 30-years.    It is unlikely ever to restore the Former Somalia as a nation-state.    That is the conclusion I reached in 2009. I published my findings/conclusions ten years back.  I presented it within academic circles (see Dynamics of Collapse and the Emergence of Alternative Forms of Social Organization)  and published on WardheerNews ( see Regionalism and Alternative Forms of Governance:
A Critique on Centralized, Top-Down Approach to the Problem of Somalia, September 16, 2009.  The Former Somalia; Facts and Fallacies, October 01, 2009.  The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Former Somalia, November 07, 2009 and Saving Somalia: Theseus Paradox, January 20, 2010. 

Now, after 10-years of additional observations and reflections – since I last wrote about this topic. – I assertively state that Somalia will not be a viable functioning nation-state ever again.    (notwithstanding the risky nature of projections about the future).   I also worry for Puntlanders whose time and efforts were wasted by an illusory Somali nation-state. 

Puntland’s silence and authoritarian tendencies of Mogadishu are contrary to the moral claims of those who advocate for the restoration of a fair and just nation-state.   However, that is not my main argument.  My contention in this article has little to do morality and more with the naïve surrender of Puntland to an imaginary idea of a Somali-nation state.  My point here is to argue against some 100-years of effort by Puntlanders seeking and fighting for Somali nation-state.  It is an argument for the self-interest of the Puntlanders – I will try to argue so, with all respect for other Somali people in the Peninsula.

Don’t accept my arguments without thoughtful examination.  To do so, I want to bring your attention to peculiar facts at hand.   First, you may acknowledge that Somalia exhibits strange patterns of spatial differentiation in ideology and politics.  Here is what I mean by that. By observing Somali people today, one cannot help but notice an extraordinary correlation between pro centralist totalitarianism and the  lawless  regions of the Former Somalia.  Most of the people who support a centralized command system in the Former Somalia come from the most lawless regions, and perhaps insignificant areas of the Former Somalia.  Some of these people are mushy, sentimental for and about an absolutist regime that controls the daily life of people – perhaps even the destruction of stable parts of the Former Somalia.

I may sympathize with many well-meaning Somalis who believe that a centralized nation-state.   I understand the sentiments of unity and pan nationalism but reject the notion because it is wrong!  Doomed is the idea of a Pan Somali nation-state! I also refuse the fondness of totalitarianism and the prejudiced logic of violence (if we can call that logic at all).

I reject the rationalization of the violent destruction of the stable regions of the Former Somalia, particularly violence against Puntland, Somaliland, and Jubbaland.  Violence  and abuse will not restore the Former Somalia.   A violent force of rebellion destroyed the Former Somalia,  violence can’t repair it.  Nor will the silence and patience of Puntland recreate a just nation-state.  This assertion is not a rejection of an abstract idea; it is the rejection of Mogadishu’s totalitarian tendencies.  It is a rejection of an attempt to use of force against Jubaland. 

Today the Former Somalia consists of Puntland, Somaliland, South-Central Somalia, and TransJuba (Jubbaland).  It is not a wise idea to put these pieces together by force; instead, one should save the broken pieces from each other and keep them in-situ.!  No one can put Humpty Dumpty together again.   Somalis and their friends in the world have been attempting to – miraculously – recreate Somalia for the last 29-years.  The latest experiment is the nominal Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) in Mogadishu –    A corrupt entity that is reminiscent of the intra-war era the Weimar Republic.

As was the case in the Weimar Germany, the FGS evolved to an incompetent, corrupt entity that harbors Islamic extremists, irredentist, nationalists, pseudo-secular politicians.   An authoritarian regime of the Orwellian type. – Complete with Newspeak, the Ministry of Truth and the Ministry of the Plenty.    Worse, the FGS in Mogadishu poses the greatest threat towards the most stable and well-governed parts of the Former Somalia. (namely Puntland, Jubbaland and Somaliland).  By destabilizing these areas, the FGS turns out to be a direct threat to all the nations in the Horn of Africa region. 

Stability of Puntland, Jubbaland, and Somaliland is central to peace Horn of Africa.  The autonomous Puntland,  and to a lesser extent Somaliland are well administered and stable de-facto states as witnessed by Brian Hesse in his article titled “Lessons in successful Somali governance”. Puntland and Somaliland are distinctly different and better governed than the FGS administered South-Central regions of the Former Somalia.  So why would Mogadishu want to destabilize and/or undermine Puntland and Somaliland?  Why and how did the FGS hitch its wagon to megalomaniacs, supporters of Islamists, and totalitarianism? 

Knowing the facts I mentioned above, – and recognizing the trends in Mogadishu towards totalitarianism – Should make Puntlanders contemplate, force them to ask themselves why be part of Somalia? Why advocate for a nation-state?  Why spend so much effort and material on restoring Somalia?  That indeed is the question for Puntland to answer.   Puntlanders have to realize that they must save themselves first in order to be of help to others. Puntland must not be bewitched by the illusion of a potential Great Somali nation-state.! (An unattainable goal).

It is also mind-boggling to examine why in the first place  did Puntlanders of 1940s  choose to become part of Somalia after the second world war? – after their long struggle.  The heroic struggle of the Northern Sultanates (Obbia, Migurtenia and the East Sanaag Clan Sultanate) against Fascism. 

It is a common knowledge that after the defeat of the fascist, the British authorities in Mogadishu promoted the restoration of the Sovereignty of Sultanate States.  Sadly, however, the sons of the Sultans not only reject the British suggestion, but they strangely helped organize the Somali Youth League (SYL).  They did so to create a post-colonial Somali nation-state.  They probably meant well, but this was an unfortunate act on their part.  An act that made them be blamed for wanting power, thought of as Machiavellians monarchist, a power-hungry monarchist from the Northern Sultanates.    With all that, they naively continued to build Mogadishu and abandoned their ancestral land!  – Not quite the kind of Machiavellians we read about or hear about!

At this juncture, it is worth noting that 5-members of the 13 founding members of SYL were from the region of Northern Sultanates, by far a large number from any areas of the Somali inhabited territories at the time.   Most of them were the sons of exiled leaders of the Northern Sultanates.  One may ask, why wouldn’t they go back to the Northern Sultanates after the defeat of the Italian fascists in 1942? That is a mystery! The mystery of history!  It was a bad decision worth examining! Shall we re-examine that bad decision? Well, that will take multiple pages, exposes and more importantly, more of your time.  The more pertinent question is, shall the mistake be corrected?

More directly, shouldn’t Puntland consider the rightful act of restoring its Sovereignty?  Raising the question – Restoration of Puntland’s Pre-Fascist era, Sovereignty is not bringing separatism or clannism.  In fact, both clannism and separatism are already there, already practiced by Mogadishu to alienate not only Puntland but Somaliland, and Jubbaland.  Yet, it is often overlooked by Puntlanders for the sake of an imaginary Pan Somali state.  The question is, why? Again, I do not have a simple answer!   I would, however, suggest that Puntland needs a way of accounting for politics that operates in and through the prism of centralization, and – a process of enregisterment of – Anti Puntland Ethos.  The FGS continues to do so with the resources of the supposedly a just “centralized state” and the and amplification measures of the propaganda of Mogadishu’s Ministry of Truth).

My final question is, shouldn’t Puntland seek to restore their rightful Sovereignty?  Of course, by and with the consent of the governed in Puntland.  In doing so, Puntland would and should wish the best for the rest of inhabited Somali regions in the former Somalia and the Horn of Africa.

Puntland’s self-denial is not patriotism, and it will not restore the former Somalia; it is a weakness.! Puntland’s undue silence and patience with Mogadishu amounts to self-defeat.  It also is not an effective analgesic for the pain Puntland’s people endure daily. 

Yes, perhaps, it is just about time for a full and formal partitioning of the former Somalia.  I ask why not?

Abdul Ahmed III
Email:drahmed0604@gmail.com

Well it's an idea,  but the writer obviously oozes grudge with Somalia-proper, a nation state,  in his words. Instead of banging the drum of 'Somalia is finished,  let's go and declare our tribal enclave a breakaway republic ', I would like to point out defected gene in all Somalis,  which is that the minute they find their elusive idyllic state,  guess what,  the same tribal divisions will start among them. So careful what you wish for!

galbeedi   

I read this article from the beginning and found some interesting responses , especially from Mr. Abtigiis who showed a well versed knowledge of the situation. This writer seeking Puntland sovereignty must have got the attention of many Somalis by his bold declaration, yet it doesn't really surprise me because some twenty years ago during the Carta, Djibouti process, I have met some Puntlanders who were advocating for secession.

Also, unlike many Somalis,  most Puntlandes do not even consider the elusive Somaliland separation seriously. Not because they are indifferent about the breakup of the country, but they see either the " Ictiraaf Raadis" thing as a game or political maneuvering of a clan seeking to gain something they do not deserve or just a process and stage Somalis must go through. They just do not worry that much about it.Even a some told me that , " Somaliland Mashruuceeda waxaan soo xidhnay maalintii aanu maakhaayada Puntland ka ag furanay".In other words, by incorporating Sool and SAnaag , Puntland has dismantled any notion of Somaliland separating.

Yet, I can assure you that if one single Somali entity separates, Puntland will be next.

for certain generations of Somalis who have studied history in the diaspora, it is difficult for them to grasp the real history of the country without quoting some distant foreigner with ulterior motives. This writer is also throwing around the so called Northern Sultanates without distinguishing the Maakhir Sultanate of the Sanaag and Bari from the Osmania Sultanate of Hobyo and North East. One was under British while the other was under Italian rule. He is faulting the Puntlanders who participated the SYL movement.

18 hours ago, Warsame Dheere said:

One may ask, why wouldn’t they go back to the Northern Sultanates after the defeat of the Italian fascists in 1942?

Well, just like those from Ceerigaabo, Borama and Zaylac had to go to Hargeisa for the power transfers from the British, Mogadishu was the main Italian headquarters , and since the north easterners were part of the Italian Somaliland, they had no choice but to go to the main city and join these movements. Yet, Mr. Ahmed, the writer should probably point out the biggest mistake the SYL and the North Easterners made in late nineteen forties was  rejecting the British to administer all the Somali territories until independence which would have given the Somalis an opportunity to gain as much land as possible at once , rather than fragment the land. Instead , they opted to be under the defeated Italian administration. 

Also his idea of lambing Puntland , Somaliland and Jubbland is another partisan maneuver to make them the opposition front against the federal government. Furthermore, Somaliland doesn't favour the so called federal system or even decentralized power sharing following the federal system. They oppose the idea of Hie-Shabeele, Puntaland and Galmudug.They insist on negotiating to the South Somalia as a whole. They are shocked that everyone is equal just like them. They also afraid that the federal caravan would reach them and give everyone its own place under the sun. Jubbaland is one city state at the moment with the occupation of Kenya. While Somaliland and Puntland are stable at the moment, all these three are different entities.

Also, by declaring that a unified Somali state whether its federal or centralized as a threat to the nations of the horn, the writer had showed the colonial arguments advanced by certain neighbors of Somalia. If a Somali who enjoys the multicultural nature of the nations states of the west and other nations can't accept the desire of the mere 15 million Somalis who share unique cultural ties under one flag, he is certainly a man of  backward looking person arguing on tribal viewpoint.

While one must point out the buying of regional leaders by the federal government as grave danger or abuse of power, they must not be advocating for the dismantling of the state. I consider these arguments as part of certain pressure groups who are out of the power at this juncture. As I said, these voices become louder when Puntlanders are out of the power structure just as in twenty years ago.

This fear of centralized dictatorship is a red herring. On the other hand , it is the duty of every national government to keep its nation together. Furthermore, with political brinkmanship of Kenya and others, only the federal government can stop the dismantling of the nation. People should not assume that the NGO sponsored meetings between these entities to go on for decades.

Puntalnd has done its part to keep the country together by blocking Somaliland, now it must help the federal government to pacify South Central Somalia to stop Kenya and others from curving out Jubbaland. Farmaajo and Khayre are both outsiders according to the old guards, yet these groups like SAnbaloolshe and others had the opportunity to affect real changes but failed. 

If Farmaajo succeeds to pacify South Central Somalia , the opposition voices could get louder. 

• That is really sad! 1

galbeedi   

Che,

When Puntland was formed some twenty years ago, the hope was that these bottom up approach would reach everyone and a decentralized federal government would take shape. Which was noble idea.

Yet, Puntland must understand that if the instability of the South Central Somalia continues, it will eventually affect the cohesiveness of the system. in Puntland. If you can't advance to the second stage, the chances are you might regress and move backward..The new generation and the young doesn't care what happened 40 years ago.

galbeedi   

One might argue that both Puntland and Somaliland might have served the people well during the warlord and antachy times, but if they do not move to join the nation state, the civil war would come back to these parts. 

In Somaliland, tribal quarrell is getting ugly and the only way to resolve is to look higher ideals like joining the federal government. Any tribal " Xadhig isu Dhiib" will not fix the system.You can't bribe tribes for the small meagres that supposed to build schools. 

A national government might cure some of these illnesses. 

3 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Che,

When Puntland was formed some twenty years ago, the hope was that these bottom up approach would reach everyone and a decentralized federal government would take shape. Which was noble idea.

Yet, Puntland must understand that if the instability of the South Central Somalia continues, it will eventually affect the cohesiveness of the system. in Puntland. If you can't advance to the second stage, the chances are you might regress and move backward..The new generation and the young doesn't care what happened 40 years ago.

I am the youth of Puntland,  you claim to be and you are probably from Mogadishu.   The youth of Puntland know what happened 40 years ago and they see tat their young sisters and brothers cannot get Certificates from Mogadishu.

Leave us alone.  Abdul Ahmed III  was too kind for you southerners.  He tried to reason with you but you don’t understand reasoning.

12 hours ago, Dhagax-Tuur said:

Well it's an idea,  but the writer obviously oozes grudge with Somalia-proper, a nation state,  in his words. Instead of banging the drum of 'Somalia is finished,  let's go and declare our tribal enclave a breakaway republic ', I would like to point out defected gene in all Somalis,  which is that the minute they find their elusive idyllic state,  guess what,  the same tribal divisions will start among them. So careful what you wish for!

4 hours ago, galbeedi said:

I read this article from the beginning and found some interesting responses , especially from Mr. Abtigiis who showed a well versed knowledge of the situation. This writer seeking Puntland sovereignty must have got the attention of many Somalis by his bold declaration, yet it doesn't really surprise me because some twenty years ago during the Carta, Djibouti process, I have met some Puntlanders who were advocating for secession.

Also, unlike many Somalis,  most Puntlandes do not even consider the elusive Somaliland separation seriously. Not because they are indifferent about the breakup of the country, but they see either the " Ictiraaf Raadis" thing as a game or political maneuvering of a clan seeking to gain something they do not deserve or just a process and stage Somalis must go through. They just do not worry that much about it.Even a some told me that , " Somaliland Mashruuceeda waxaan soo xidhnay maalintii aanu maakhaayada Puntland ka ag furanay".In other words, by incorporating Sool and SAnaag , Puntland has dismantled any notion of Somaliland separating.

Yet, I can assure you that if one single Somali entity separates, Puntland will be next.

for certain generations of Somalis who have studied history in the diaspora, it is difficult for them to grasp the real history of the country without quoting some distant foreigner with ulterior motives. This writer is also throwing around the so called Northern Sultanates without distinguishing the Maakhir Sultanate of the Sanaag and Bari from the Osmania Sultanate of Hobyo and North East. One was under British while the other was under Italian rule. He is faulting the Puntlanders who participated the SYL movement.

Well, just like those from Ceerigaabo, Borama and Zaylac had to go to Hargeisa for the power transfers from the British, Mogadishu was the main Italian headquarters , and since the north easterners were part of the Italian Somaliland, they had no choice but to go to the main city and join these movements. Yet, Mr. Ahmed, the writer should probably point out the biggest mistake the SYL and the North Easterners made in late nineteen forties was  rejecting the British to administer all the Somali territories until independence which would have given the Somalis an opportunity to gain as much land as possible at once , rather than fragment the land. Instead , they opted to be under the defeated Italian administration. 

Also his idea of lambing Puntland , Somaliland and Jubbland is another partisan maneuver to make them the opposition front against the federal government. Furthermore, Somaliland doesn't favour the so called federal system or even decentralized power sharing following the federal system. They oppose the idea of Hie-Shabeele, Puntaland and Galmudug.They insist on negotiating to the South Somalia as a whole. They are shocked that everyone is equal just like them. They also afraid that the federal caravan would reach them and give everyone its own place under the sun. Jubbaland is one city state at the moment with the occupation of Kenya. While Somaliland and Puntland are stable at the moment, all these three are different entities.

Also, by declaring that a unified Somali state whether its federal or centralized as a threat to the nations of the horn, the writer had showed the colonial arguments advanced by certain neighbors of Somalia. If a Somali who enjoys the multicultural nature of the nations states of the west and other nations can't accept the desire of the mere 15 million Somalis who share unique cultural ties under one flag, he is certainly a man of  backward looking person arguing on tribal viewpoint.

While one must point out the buying of regional leaders by the federal government as grave danger or abuse of power, they must not be advocating for the dismantling of the state. I consider these arguments as part of certain pressure groups who are out of the power at this juncture. As I said, these voices become louder when Puntlanders are out of the power structure just as in twenty years ago.

This fear of centralized dictatorship is a red herring. On the other hand , it is the duty of every national government to keep its nation together. Furthermore, with political brinkmanship of Kenya and others, only the federal government can stop the dismantling of the nation. People should not assume that the NGO sponsored meetings between these entities to go on for decades.

Puntalnd has done its part to keep the country together by blocking Somaliland, now it must help the federal government to pacify South Central Somalia to stop Kenya and others from curving out Jubbaland. Farmaajo and Khayre are both outsiders according to the old guards, yet these groups like SAnbaloolshe and others had the opportunity to affect real changes but failed. 

If Farmaajo succeeds to pacify South Central Somalia , the opposition voices could get louder. 

4 hours ago, Che -Guevara said:

Somalis indulge in fantasies. They want to turn one headache into many smaller headaches. Secession won't take us to the promised land.

Read his article carefully,  I don’t think he is trialist,  I don’t think he wants to be separatist.  All he is saying is Mogadishu regime  is abusive, people of Puntland have options.

3 hours ago, galbeedi said:

One might argue that both Puntland and Somaliland might have served the people well during the warlord and antachy times, but if they do not move to join the nation state, the civil war would come back to these parts. 

In Somaliland, tribal quarrell is getting ugly and the only way to resolve is to look higher ideals like joining the federal government. Any tribal " Xadhig isu Dhiib" will not fix the system.You can't bribe tribes for the small meagres that supposed to build schools. 

I think he says the northern kingdoms (East Sanaag Clan and Majeertenia)  lost a lot by waiting for the south.  He has a good point.    What is your point other than forcing people to accept Hargeisa or Mogadishu

Warsame

Warsame boowe waxaa qortay lama arko.  anaa ku daray hada han.   Ninkaan  ma taqaaniin .   Ma ninkii baa  Kaskii Qaba ahaa baa?  Ninkii New York deganaa oo reer boqorka dhaleen baa?  aa  Boqor boowe wiilkayo

9 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Sorry,  but national govt is not a silver bullet.  I think one of the following options:

1. Regional emirates with considerable powers both home and foreign,  which is what they all want. 

2. To arrange a proper social contract between Somali weyn. Bring them under a tent be honest with each other. I know,  easier said than done. 

3. We need a dictatorial system,  centralized and bring every one in line by force.