QabiilDiid

Why Mr I.M.Lewis advocates for the dismemberment of Somalia

Why Mr I.M.Lewis advocates for the dismemberment of Somalia

Mohamed Ali Mirreh

November 5 , 2005

“There is no greater sorrow than to recall a time

of happiness in misery.â€

Dante Alighieri

Since the unilateral declaration of “ Somaliland †in 1991 by a secessionist faction in Northwest of Somalia, there have been few non-Somali elements, who are tirelessly campaigning for the recognition of this one clan-based entity.

Some of these elements are greedy mercenaries who camouflage themselves in the devious NGO: s, in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi . They often exploit the fluid situation of Somalia by ostensibly creating chaos and impeding any stability in Somalia and thus utilise the international donor's money into their own benefit. There are also, globe-tottering journalists that are deceitfully confined in Hargeisa, the second city of Somalia , where they readily accept at face value whatever told to them.

But the most dangerous and evil of these “international supporters†is the retired British anthropologist, Mr I.M Lewis who relentlessly advocates for the recognition of “ Somaliland â€

The following note, sent not long ago to Saturday review by I.M Lewis is typical of Lewis´s role as “spokesman†for the secessionists in the international fora :

“It was good to read Kevin Rushby's article ("Unbroken chain", October 15) about the visit to Britain of leading poets from Sudan , Afghanistan and Somaliland . Your timing was also excellent. This is an especially significant moment for Gaarriye's home country, Somaliland . This former British protectorate, which separated from Somalia more than a decade ago , has just successfully held its first full parliamentary elections…â€

These overblown statements of Mr I.M Lewis which are purposefully released to the international media outlets are nothing but grist for the secessionist's propaganda mill. Strangely enough, this unwavering support from I.M. Lewis to the secessionist's campaign to secede from Somalia is in fact a world away from the close working relationship; he had with all the previous Somali governments.

Again, prior to the parliamentary election in â€Somaliland†which took place on 2005-10-29, I.M.Lewis stated that he would be the happiest person if parliamentary elections took place in Sool, Sanaag and Cayn regions.

Such rhetoric is a manifestation of Lewis´s animus towards the people of these regions who are clearly out of phase with the wishful thinking of Mr Lewis and the secessionists and one wonders why on earth this old Briton wishes to see one clan under the rule of another.

Another mind-boggling question for many Somalis is why Mr I.M Lewis being an expert on Somali history and culture and who knows that the Somalis are the most homogenous people on earth, would prefer one clan to another and campaign for the dismemberment of such nation along clannish lines.

Is it true that his abhorrence and animosity towards the people of Sool, Sanaag and Cayn can be attributed to the fact that these regions were the hub of anti-British during the British rule in Somaliland and as these were no-go area for people like I.M. Lewis, he had a rough time in nineteen-fifties, in Lascanood, widwidh and Bohoodle while he was writing his book, the pastoral democracy ?

Or may be he is a kind of imperialist-minded who is in a misery and who still hankers for his former colonial ties with what used to be British Protectorate. In another words, he is longing for the past days where he had jole de vivre in British Somaliland Protectorate.

Whatever the reason, Mr I.M Lewis has opted for dismembering our country by promoting the wish of some buffoons in the north-west of Somalia under the claim of illegal boundaries set by the British. But he should realise that as long as the sons and daughters of Dervish cradle are around, history can repeat itself and, the option of “ Somaliland â€, the reinstated version of British Somaliland will never be delivered .

Eng. Mohamed Ali Mirreh

Email: mmirreh@hotmail.com

Copyright © 2005 Wardheernews.net

But he should realise that as long as the sons and daughters of Dervish cradle are around, history can repeat itself and, the option of “ Somaliland â€, the reinstated version of British Somaliland will never be delivered .

Over my dead body....

NGONGE   

^^^ You mean you're going to fight to keep things as they are? :D

That's one original Somali solution. Somebody should tell those in charge. :D

In the October of 2002, American singer Harry Belafonte criticized then-Secy of State Colin Powell by likening his political behavior to that of a "house slave." In an interview with a San Diego-based radio station, Belafonte said: "There's an old saying. In the days of slavery, there were those slaves who lived on the plantation and there were those slaves that lived in the house. You got the privilege of living in the house if you served the master... exactly the way the master intended to have you serve him." Of course, Belafonte was angry at Black American leaders (namely, Powell & Rice) who loyally serve President GW Bush without ever criticizing his ill-advised policies, domestic or foreign. The media went into a frenzy about how great American general Powell was disrespected in such a demeaning manner. But, was Belafonte that far from the truth? I think not. Powell was, at least in 2002 (before he came to his senses), a "house slave" for the Bush administration.

Now, how does this compare to Prof I.M. Lewis? Lewis (in representing the master, i.e. the British Empire) likes the "house slave" who once served him loyally during the Colonial Era. In that same respect, he's willing to bend whichever way to get his beloved house slave an opportunity to shine in northern Somalia, extend his rule into other parts of the country, and perhaps someday, create more loyal "house slaves" for the British Empire. But, the British, and most of all Prof Lewis, are well aware of the differing social temperatures in northern Somalia (back then and now). The politicians who now cry for secession are from a long family line of British loyalists (i.e. house slaves) while in the eastern regions of the ideal Somaliland, the British Empire met one of its greatest anti-colonial challenges in modern history. You'll find that history in the blood of the Somalis, the British, the Indians, and other Africans who lost their lives during the gallant struggle for freedom led by Somali nationalist, poet and warrior Sayyid Maxamed Cabdulle Xasan.

The British know this history and that's why they won't interfere in any of this so-called "secession" business. And Prof Lewis also knows this - but he's one of the last remaining elements from the Colonial Era who want to see his version of British honor (read: neo-colonialism) restored in northern Somalia. The old Professor can write a billion scholarly articles, but in reality, the same guns (and the offspring of the same boys) that militarily defeated British forces (and their collaborators, i.e. "house slaves") time and again are still there, waiting.

Colonialism is over, old man! Give it up. That's my advice to the Prof. icon_razz.gif

Gabbal   

^^You have said and alleged much worse. Or does this all go back to the thread that was deleted yesterday..

[Reply to Sky's post above me that was erased]

Sky   

HornAfrique, you're a weak person. Accusing others of being one and the same person is a lame attempt of winning an argument without offering much of a fight. With your boring Gedo topics. 70% increase of property in Gedo, like who the F cares? Neverheless I was happy for you with that somewhat phantom figure pulled out of Gedonet's sleeve.

Wind.talker's notorious keyboard has produced statements such as; "Reer Mogadishu drowning in the Red Sea? Well what comes around goes around", "You Somalilanders are pathetic, being ruled by a former NSS agent" or his last night's emotional breakdown where he displayed his hatred for an entire subclan. He talked smack yesterday, but two can play that game.

I don't understand why my innocent post where I rightfully questioned wind.talker's mental stability and level of intelligence got deleted whereas disgusting comments coming out of the mouth of Jumatatu are given free game. Double Standards?

Sky   

Well if you want to waste your energy by repeating things I like to hear than repeat this.

This is for Orgilaqe and co...eat your hearts out nigga haters...you aint worth nothing more than the dirt he walks on.

Incase you have not noticed what is hurtful for Orgi and his lot is pleasure for me

[ November 06, 2005, 10:08: Message edited by: Admin ]

"Why Mr I.M.Lewis advocates for the dismemberment of Somalia"

Didn't you hear the news?

He converted to Somaliland's dominant clan. There was lavish ceromony about it where 1000 camels, sheeps and cows were slaughtered -- Xalal style and supervised by our own cyber Shiekh Alle-Ubaahne.

More impressive was the list of invitees. They included Miss Somaliland (Hmmm...woof!...woof!), el presidente Fidel Casro, George W Bush, Tony Blair, Ariel Sharon... reserved seats for the apparitions of: late Pope John Paul II, Siyaad Barre and Mengistu.

It was quite an event, I'm surprised you haven't heard about it at all :(

I.M. Lewis for Somaliland is a ruse by them -- you know who ;)

Xudeedi   

The tone of authors who write in reference to the regional names of Sool Sanaag and Cayn employ terms that aren’t satisfactorily defined and fail to consider a full participation of the towns in Sanaag.

The stipulative definition of SSC , for instance, could mean different when towns like Las Anod, Buhodle and Taleh are just invoked which in turn could alienate other major towns that are in the mix of struggle to fighting the secession. For many purposes, the implicit motive of such authors in downplaying the importance of naming a region like Haylaan and towns like Badhan, Erigavo, and Las Qorei could produce regressive ideaological shift that is detriment to the health of these regions’ solidarity. Therefore, I ask the withdrawal of the adaptability of such tone before it sets in and because of the discomfort that that entails.

Gabbal   

HornAfrique, you're a weak person. Accusing others of being one and the same person is a lame attempt of winning an argument without offering much of a fight. With your boring Gedo topics. 70% increase of property in Gedo, like who the F cares? Neverheless I was happy for you with that somewhat phantom figure pulled out of Gedonet's sleeve.

I will for the upteenth time say this to you sxb. Sky daciif baa tahay. It is exactly because of this daciifnimo that your aliases cannot escape you. smile.gif

As for the Gedo part; sxb for someone that didn't care, I am more then surprised you remembered the exact figure of 70%. icon_razz.gif Tell me did you care or is your daciifnimo running rampant again? No wonder the other aliases cannot escape you. smile.gif

[ I will be forced to believe the rumours if my post or any other posts written by me are deleted for no obvious reason.] :mad:

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

[
I will be forced to believe the rumours if my post or any other posts written by me are deleted for no obvious reason.
] :mad:

Maxaa ku helay, duqa. I for one didn't edit you, and what "rumours" are you talking about? Waraa roobka Siyeelel aa kaa batay ee is qabooji.

Originally posted by Sky:

Wind.talker's notorious keyboard has produced statements such as; "Reer Mogadishu drowning in the Red Sea? Well what comes around goes around", "You Somalilanders are pathetic, being ruled by a former NSS agent" or his last night's emotional breakdown where he displayed his hatred for an entire
subclan

Even if I said such things, are they in any way, shape or form untrue? What goes around does come around. For example, Reer Gedo/PL dhuusadooda baa waa Xamar laga fadhin waaye. And look where it got us? We refugees in almost every country on the globe. SL leaders are pathetic because, instead of empowering liberators (i.e. members of the SNM), they hand power over to a former Barre lackey. And just look at the SL during Cigaal's (Allaha u naxaristo) term and compare it to Riyaale's term. Actually, you can't even compare.

And don't even get me started on Mudug politics. You see, I don't smile for you then stab you in the back when you look away. If I don't like you, I let you know. What good have the progeny of Mudug brought to Somalia? They've been powered time and again - and all they've done is divide the Somali people along clan and regional lines. If you ask me, nothing socially or politically good has ever come out of Mudug. Only death, division and destruction. How does that translate into my "hatred for a subclan"? If you're interested in being accurate, you should say my dislike of Mudug leadership in Somalia. Those folks can't even agree to live in Galkacyo peacefully (i.e. the Green Line) and somehow they want to fix Xamar, SL and the Indian Ocean roadblocks. Fix your home before you fix others.