Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Ugandan officer: We are confused, scared and alone

Uganda: Open Letter to AU Chairman On Somalia

DEAR Mr. Chairman, I have been trying to reach you in vain. I am happy though that I finally got this space to reach out to you. The Ugandan contingent you sent to the African Union (AU) mission in Somalia reached safely. As I write to you, we are now fully established as you may have read in the media.

Our base camp is well set. We also took over the security of the airport, the seaport, the presidential palace and that spot commonly known as Km 4 from the Ethiopian forces that we found in the mission area.

Africa 2007

If you can recall, the Ethiopian army wanted to pull out in two weeks after dislodging the insurgents. You however asked them to stay until you fully deploy. Had they not listened to you, their going would have been catastrophic to this mission.

In the four months we have been here, we have managed to distribute clean drinking water to thousands of internally displaced persons (IDPs) who urgently need humanitarian assistance.

We also extended medical treatment to about 1,200 civilians who were suffering from different infections including cholera. This assistance also benefited 530 children. Through these activities, we managed to win the support of the Somali people. However, this intervention cannot be sustained because of our limited capacity and as such we request that you appeal to world humanitarian agencies to come and help in this area.

We also request that you fast track the process of contributing troops from the troop contributing countries (TCCs) that pledged to deploy
to help the Somali people.

For us on the ground, we will help to secure their entry as well as helping them to reach where they will deploy.

I have been reading opinions from some scholars alluding that Africa cannot manage to raise troops for this mission. I do not want to believe them because I have faith in your capacity to mobilise.

For now, I can say that the Ugandan troops on the ground cannot stretch any further

As you may recall, we lost some Ugandan peacekeepers when a roadside bomb hit their vehicle in May. The Ethiopians, as you know, cannot stay here forever.

So the earlier you deploy, the more you will be helping the situation. Hoping for your reply soonest. Yours truly, Capt Paddy Ankunda.

Capt Paddy Ankunda

Spokesman of AMISOM

I have nothing against those poor Ugandans. I believe they are misguided, though having the best intention. I hope they realize peacekeeping for Soomaaliya is not the option currently, particularly under Itoobiyan occupation.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

So what is the option? Good ol' Wild Wild West rule?

That is what is happening now. Just ask Muqdisho residents how many of their houses have been looted by Ethiopian and Somali warlord forces.

Fabregas   

quote:If you can recall, the Ethiopian army wanted to pull out in two weeks after dislodging the insurgents. You however asked them to stay until you fully deploy. Had they not listened to you, their going would have been catastrophic to this mission.

The African Union asked the Ethiopians to stay until they deploy. Then they say we can't send anyone. A bit of catch 22 really.......

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

^^ And all these delays and the current mayhem has nothing to do with the noble 'muqaawama' that throws in hand grenades in civil crowds?

Maybe. But even Zenawi said that he didn't expect a "sandwich picnic" in Somalia. Now he has admitted that he thought Somali Clan elders would simply be bribed and all Somalis would surrender to his forces, once the I.C.U was deposed. People are throwing grenade at his forces because his parliament declared on Somali groups and vowed to crush. It doesn't take a scientific genius to work out that those people will resist his troops, when they landed on Somali soil. Secondly, His army is responsible for the killing and detaning of thousands of Somalis since they came. Thus it doesn't take a genius to work out that those people have relatives, clan members and ideological affliates. So some of them will be offended when they see these troops walking around a historic Muslim/Somali city and occupy a nations most historic places. Are the tactics they are using right? Yes, No and Maybe, but that is another debate for another debate. Now that the Ethiopians are here. My solution for them to leave( as they are keen to do) would be:

1. Ceasfire period between the T.F.G, Ethiopian Army and those that oppose it. This would be for a period of a few weeks.

2. Withdrawl of Ethiopian troops to Muqdisho outskirts. Whilst leaders of the I.C.U and Clan elders must sign a declaration that no attacks must be made on the T.F.G

3. Ethiopian troops relocate all their troops to Badioa. Whilst a reconciliation is held in Muqdisho by Somalis, for Somalis in Muqdisho.

4. The African union sets a date for their peackeeping troops to arrive.

5. Once the African union troops arrive ALL Ethiopians must leave Badioa and go back HOME.

6. African Union troops arrive in most Southern Somali cities.

7.Abdullahi Yusuf rules Somalia and all live happily every after!

The package of measures that you've presented is generally sound albeit somewhat overly simplified which in my opinion gives it an unrealistic touch.

For instance it doesnt adress the essential back-up plans needed to overcome the hurdles that challenge the plan, one being the ICUs opposition against AU peackeeping troops or for that matter, their opposition against discussions with the TFG at all.

Also A/Y mandate is due to end in 2 yrs so its not an issue of a specific person/clan ruling the nation. On the contrary this could be an opening for a refined ICU political party to take over and lead the formation of a national government. Sadly things look far from heading that way now.