Sign in to follow this  
PasserBy

SOMALILAND SURPASSES ERITREA in ECONOMIC PROGRESS

PasserBy   

Self reliant my foot! Eritrea depends on food aid to feed 70% of its population. The rest probably comes from Osman-ONLF and Al Shaab training and accommodation fees. :D

PasserBy   

Zack,

Admiral Osman's boys latest kamikaze mission was thwarted before it hit the target. The Somali Regional Administration has proven itself to be more than capable of handling your skinnies. The attempt to derail the peace agreement between ONLF stakeholders and the Ethiopian government has FAILED. Desperation is getting the best of A Osman.

Abtigiis   

Lately you sleep and wake up talking about Admiral Osman. He must be giving you a nightmare.

Again, we will continue the fight until every parasite Tigre is cleaned from Somalia and Somaligalbeed. Let them go back and chew the stones in Endaselasie and Dedebit. They have been lucky for two decades. It is payback time.

Originally posted by PasserBy:

Zack,

The Somali Regional Administration has proven itself to be more than capable of handling your
skinnies.

Hey dwarf with burned face be careful with your words...

PasserBy   

Duke,

I hope Belgians did not read you insult their culture. :D

Raw Meat as Culinary Tradition

Belgium's delicacy is the world's disgust: food in cultural context

Feb 23, 2006 Katrien Vander Straeten

In Belgium raw meat is a delicacy. But try to convince an Indian or an American of that! Do irrational taboos still inform the taboo?

My mother-in-law gasped! I was about to fry some minced beef and had just popped a spoonful of the raw meat into my mouth. Yum. But by the look on her face, you would have thought I had just sunk my teeth into a dead rat!

Her revulsion was not for the meat per se. She is an omnivorous Bengali from Calcutta who on rare occasions will eat beef. No, it was its rawness. There are deep-seated taboos about consuming raw meat in every culture in the world. And as with all culinary taboos, there is a fine line between dirtiness and delicacy.

In my home country of Belgium, raw meat can be a treat: we consume slabs of raw, uncured ham, and kids will often beg for the soft little meatballs before they go into the sauce. Indeed, we eat raw meat on an almost daily basis, as a spread on our sandwiches.

A particular favourite is "filet americain" or "tartare de boeuf": raw ground beef with mayonnaise, capers, Worcestershire sauce, pickles, small onions and salt and pepper. A variant, "americain prepare", also has raw egg yolks in it. Why "americain"? An amusing explanation is that Christopher Columbus, on landing in America, remarked that the indigenous people ate raw meat that was heavily spiced. It's possible: many European recipes are several centuries old.

True, in India, refrigeration is not quite adequate: even in Calcutta, frequent power outages will render perfectly decent fridges useless. But the revulsion for raw meat goes deeper than rational considerations of health and hygiene. For even in North America, the most refrigerated region in the world, there is an almost inborn squeamishness regarding raw, red burger meat.

Is it, as some scholars of food suggest, that raw meat is more "dead" and closer to "rotten" than cooked or roasted meat, which is dead meat that has been "cultured" back into civilization? Even worse, does its rawness remind us of our own, uncooked flesh? If that taboo is still informing our culinary habits, the Belgians are on top of it: tongue-in-cheek, we call a sandwich topped with filet americain "toast cannibale".

PasserBy   

Somalians regardless of clan affiliation should be happy that Somaliland has topped Eritrea in economic progress. I am shocked to see folks who claim to fight for united Somalia knock down this milestone achievement by Somalilanders.

Haatu   

First of all, we're not Somalians, we're Somalis. Second of all, we are ALL SOMALIS. And last but not least, where's your proof for this claim?

Somaliland hasn't come close to surpassing Eritrean in Economic or Social progress. I don't even think Somaliland is more economic viable than Xamar yet alone Eritrea.

Eritrea is a country going places. It currently under a mining and construction boom, it has made major strives in numerous fields. The country is expected to start exporting Gold at the end of this quarter and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Mining companies are running to Eritrea, while resources companies are running away from the Somali region in Ethiopia.

Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan and Somalia's report cards.

http://www.madote.com/2010/06/following-charts-and-graphs-will-be.html

Eritrea for such a small country has been help to make such progress in such little time.

Funny, that Ethiopian talks about hunger, when currently millions in Ethiopia live on food Aid. Ethiopia exports food while their women and children are hunger, their president in 1995 promised 3 meals a day for every Ethiopia, yet this was never delivered and Ethiopia has large quantity of fertile land.

But the problem is that half of land acquisition in Ethiopia has been by foreign investors, such as Chinese,Indians and Arabs only to export the food out of Ethiopia.

Eritrea is 20 years old, let’s not forget that.

PasserBy   

Haatu,

Clearly you are displeased to read Somaliland has gotten way past Eritrea in economic and political progress. All I have to say is SHAME ON YOU.

Wefri Warsay Yika'alo

The Wefri Warsay Yika'alo (WWY) or Warsay Yika'alo Program of Eritrea is an ambitious project of post-war recovery. It is similar to other economic recovery programs, and is often compared to the Marshall Plan.1, 2, 3

The program is a series of Government sponsored investments in economic, education, health, and transportation related infrastructure. These investments are typically made by a mixture of grants and loans from international organizations and from the Government of Eritrea. The practical transfer of skills is an important component of this program.

Contents

1 Transportation Infrastructure

2 Health Infrastructure

3 Education Infrastructure

4 Miscellaneous Infrastructure

5 Notes

Transportation Infrastructure

Asmara-Ghinda-Massawa component of the Eritrean Railway (completed)

Asmara-Fil fil-Massawa Highway (completed)

Asseb-Massawa Highway (under construction)

Keren-Barentu-Tessenei Highway (under construction)

Massawa International Airport (completed)

Sawa Airport (completed)

Health Infrastructure

Assab Regional Referral Hospital (completed)

Barentu Regional Referral Hospital (completed)

Dekamhare Regional Hospital (completed)

Ghinda Regional Referral Hospital (completed)

Mendefera Regional Referral Hospital(completed)

Orotta Referral Hospital (completed)

Education Infrastructure

Agricultural School at Hagaz (completed)

College of Business and Economics at Halhale

College of Agriculture at Hamelmalo (completed)

Eritrean Institute Of Science and Technology (EIST) at Mai Nefhi (completed)

Sawa Defence Training Centre (completed)

Miscellaneous Infrastructure

Harena Boat Factory (completed)

Jetty and Fish Processing Plant at Edd (completed)

Jetty and Fish Processing Plant at Tio (completed)

Keren Dam (under construction)

Mobile phone service under Eri-Tel (completed)