Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Revamping Puntland Parliament

Obviously, Puntland is too poor to conduct census but there needs to be way where the parliament seats could be allocated more fairly. The politics in the region is unbalanced and hardly be said to represent everyone. The answer is not give every clan, subclan, and sub-sub clan a seat, but 66 seats which is distributed unevenly must be reworked that's till more democratic process could instituted.

Che, it is good idea to change the representation of the parliament, but what do you have in mind dee? bring some suggestions old boy, don't just reinstate what is obvious and being said before.. :D:D

It is simple Saaxib. It is just matter of reflecting today's reality. Puntland is no longer sparsely populated land. Take for instance the city of Bosaso which before the war was essentially a village.Obviously certain people formed the majority, and it would have made sense then if they were majority in any municipal or district government. But today in Bosaso, there are big influx from those who escaped 91, those who came from Somaligalbeed, those came from other provinces like Bay/Bakool, Hiiraan, Jubba, Shabeelle, and even Toghdeer.There are even thousands of Oromo.

Obviously these new migrants to Bosaso form the majority now. It makes no sense to awarded seats on the presumption that those who historically were the majority are still the majority, and hence deserve the lion's share unless we are employing the concept of Magaladaa reer Hebel iska leh, and that even flies in the face of reason since in reality it is no longer just their city. It belongs to everyone that resides there. The same argument could applied to Garowe, Galkayo, and every district in the region.

peasant   

^War adiga sigaar nocee ah cabtay saxiib

Drifters dont count and only the natives, those who inhabit the country surrounding of each city is regarded the soul owners of that territory. Waryaa puntland is a homogenous state just like japan, you can visit and live there but you will never be naturalized unless you are Japanese by blood.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

It makes no sense to awarded seats on the presumption that those who historically were the majority are still the majority, and hence deserve the lion's share unless we are employing the concept of Magaladaa reer Hebel iska leh, and that even flies in the face of reason since in reality it is no longer just their city.

Reform whatever you wanna reform, but anigu waxaan dhihi lahaa-- for now, that is-- waxaa haboon inuu nin walba tuuladiisa uu dhisto uuna u taliyo. If these guests of ours, you've mentioned, have a problem with the natives of Boosaso running that city(which I doubt very much), then by all means, let them ALL return to wherever it is they came from, to establish and develop their own maamul goboleed...capice!

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California

NASSIR   

DQ, you have an impossible theory to the complex issues of Puntland. Reer Makhir has both territorial claim and huge business and estate investment in the city of Bosaso for all eons the past and its surrounding. Consequently, the city will still be an integral part of their economic infrastructure should they decide to set up own self-determined state that is endorsed by their Sultans (it only takes his traditional power to sanction the formation of such a state).

Unless a radical change is instituted as Che said, political and social relations of the contractually-bound stakeholders will never be the same again. I am however afraid that this credible eventuality would have a major impact in its internal cohesion as well as its political weight to instill influence and confidence into its leaders.

In the past, it was USP which tipped the balance in the power configuration of SYL initially dominated by southerners. I doubt Puntland in its current isolation would be a dominating factor in Somalia's pricing matrix.

its my opinion that no amount of reform in the parliament will cure it of its ills. The recent election has put the nail in that coffin. These members of parliament have a for sale sign on their heads even if they were distributed in a more fair manner. by the way, for all those running around here defending a distribution were one subclan gets nearly have of the parliament that represent at least five or more should be ashamed of them selfs.

DQ, why do you always present that isolationist view every chance you get with that every man to his tuulo mantra of yours and does it not go against all the obvious reason that state was formed: to provide for the common welfare and security for all the inhabitants of those regions that united to form that state.

Puntland has two options in my opinion.

reform the parliament by addressing the questions of inequality and insuring that the parliament can be held accountable for straying from the aspirations of the people they represent through frequent parliamentary elections and by other means deemed necessary.

two, reform the parliament anyway and implement the plans for direct elections as the elected officials have been mandated to do so from the inception of the state. we all know that they have to do this but how is the question. it was wrong to assume that executives who see such reforms being against their interest will do so. what we need is a movement to force both the reps and the execs to carry out this.

also, i have as much reservations about the general populous' ability to pursue their own interest better then these mps che but we would be spared the in your face and flagrant display of corruption that has become the hallmark of the state parliament. it would be much harder for people like faroole to buy an entire people rather than few reps (Clearly, the people of SSC were unanimous in their support for mr. ilkjiir but faroole has spent a laudable amount of energy o their leaders and reps). of course we should also look for ways to safe gourd against demagoguery but thats for another time, now we need to focus on the real problems with last being mr farooles election hopefully

^LooooooooooooooL

I'm sure Oodweyne would be happy,and NGONGE would say you are being pragmatic. They would invite Sophist as well.

But the points you made, I think the MPs are also to blame since they simply to the highest bidder!

Naxar :D : Ma adigii baa noo bilaabay dib u gurashada. Adeer waxyar kubada hoos u dhig intey salaadu iska qabsaneyso inagaa USP isla ahee dadka kale waa SNM iyo SSDF.

by the way calankaa i diley....

Paragon   

^Now I have right to be a Macangag Puntlander, and counter the Oodweyne's, NGONGE's, Suldaanka's, Norf, JB, ... I mean they must be getting their SOL PR right to even sway NN to their side.

I am still refusing to believe recent PL selection swayed the man....