Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Documents and Analysis: Clan Wars with Religious Coloration [Puntland]

NASSIR   

Somalia: Somali Government sends military aid to Puntland administration

August 10, 2010

MOGADISHU (Mareeg.com) – Secret reports we obtained on Saturday said that the TFG had sent military hardware to the semi-autonomous region of Puntland

There had been clashes between the security forces of Puntland administration and forces loyal to Mohamed Sa’id Atam in parts of Bari region in north Somalia over the pat few weeks.

Officials of the transitional government of Somalia refused to be named told mareeg reporter that the plane had landed at Garowe airport, the centre of the Puntland administration. The weapons was reportedly aimed to be reinforced the new clashes between the security forces of Puntland administration and troops loyal to Mohamed Sa’id Atam.

Mr. Atam was accused having relation with Al-shabab, the spokesman of Al-shabab Shekil Mohamud Raghe (Sheik Ali Dere) had denied any links with Atam pointing out that those fighting were Muslims started insurgency as they could not tolerate intimidations from Puntland administration.

Most of the MPs had reportedly known the weapons that the transitional government sent to Puntland secretly and planned to be discussed for the coming sessions of the parliament.

There is no comment from the side of Puntland about the weapon sent to them and the statement comes as Abdirahman Mohamed Farole, the president of Puntland vowed he would liberate Atam’s power from the region.

For more send your comments

^^^I am taking the piss at your attempt adeer.

Your own posts prove, Puntland had internal struggles and they were not about clans, or resources.

This route of Attam, is not about clan, nor resources but that he is a man who threatened the city of Bossaso, and that is no no.

NASSIR   

Al-shabab denies involving fighting in Puntland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOGADISHU ( Mareeg.com ) – Sheik Ali Mohamud Raghe better known as ( Sheik Ali Dere), the spokesman of Al-shabab has held press conference for the journalists in Mogadishu and denied involving fighting that continued in Puntland recently.

Mohamed Sa’id Atam, a cleric based in out of Bosaso town of Bari region of Puntland leading more fighters had recently fought with the security forces of the semi-autonomous region of Puntland that caused many casualties of deaths and injuries.

The spokesman of Al-shabab said that those who are fighting in Puntland were Muslim people against the administration of Punland denying that they had involved the fighting or had relations with the leaders of the fighting.

Sheik Ali Dhere warned journalists to connect the clashes at Galgala and Karin villages of Puntland to Al-shabab organization pointing out that journalists were required to do their works as intended.

“As you know, the people fighting there are people who refused the problems against them. So if seen people opposing intimidations and some thing against the Shari law, does not mean they are Al-shabab,” said Sheik Ali Mohamud Raghe

The statement of Al-shabab comes as there had been fighting between the armed forces led by Mohamed Atam and the security forces of Puntland administration in parts of Bari region in north Somalia.

NASSIR   

An early post I made...

Originally posted by
Nassir:

O
ur differences stem from an
issue of substantiation
, questions of disputed facts and definitions. It asks us to examine and look up at the available evidence as to whether Atam is leaning towards al-Shabaab or a local leader who is defending his clan's territory from PL's intrusion or its leaders coveting for what rich resources lie beneath this territory. It's not an
issue of evaluation
. Our difference (believes and ideas) is not about whether al-shabaab is wrong or right, good or bad, desirable or undesirable. That we agree on its undesirability is not in doubt. It's not also an
issue of policy
or how to address a demonstrable need.

BUT it's an issue of substantiation, and thus far the evidence we have is that Mr. Atam distanced himself from any type of reliationship or political coordination with the radical Islamists in the South. He answered three times after the VOA anchor newsman, Mr. Ali Harare, asked him whether he is al-Shabaab or not. He answered negative in all of three questions. al-Shabaab as well denied to be part of this conflict since this whole issue of Majihan and Galgala preceded the rise of al-Shabaab. Sheikh Atam was fighting the former governor Mohamed Muse Hirsi over the mineral rights and oil exploration in the region. So why would Faroole now redefine the nature of this conflict and galvanize his clan or the unsuspecting masses about the invasion of a different region. Do we not care about the looming disaster?

Thankful   

Faroole is finally getting a handle on things. His successes against Atam will be remember just like Abdullahi Yusuf's back in the 90s!

Atam has no support and is hiding in the mountains! He'll probably resort to cowardly attacks in Bosasso!

^^^They need to keep the pressure on all these clowns. Funny how part time Puntlanders are in anger for no reason.

The troops have handled the situation well, no civilians killed, no farms burned the clashes has been between combatants.

Originally posted by General Duke:

Garad Cali Ciid, General Ilkajiir, Abdi-Jamaal are all fighting their own clan?

Attam is defending his clan from these men?

Nonsense

Duke has a point.

Thanful: roobdoon is not from sanag or w/b. Xaraarad qabiilbaa ku qaadey boowe. Sanagbaad ku qafiiftey.

Xudeydi & Naasir: waa ramadaane xaalada naga qaboojiya.

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^They need to keep the pressure on all these clowns. Funny how
part time Puntlanders
are in anger for no reason.

The troops have handled the situation well, no civilians killed, no farms burned the clashes has been between combatants.

^^

LOL @ "part time Puntlanders"

:D:D:D:D

Walahi Duke, Ishaad ka ridday. :D

They are ONLY genuine Puntlanders during election time, and the rest of the time-- they are emphatic defenders of the so-called "mineral wealth" of Puntland from fellow Puntlanders, eh! :D

NASSIR   

Well Koore-Tuunshe, I object to sidestepping or hiding the truth. It won't solve any problems--both current and potential. Since you are an insider and has more knowledge of the personalities involved and their intrigues and the nature of this long conflict, it's fundamentally critical to play a momentous role, part of it is to inform the public. Then they would be able to make their own fair judgement about the underlying issues. They will later decide for themselves what is at stake. If we hide criminals and opportunists who brand legitimate opposition as "terrorists", the culture of impunity will only make things fester from what it is today.

Mr. Jamal and his heavily armed clan militia had been an integral part of "Somaliland" before their paths crossed and the man switched sides. He has no formal education except that he excells in using his "sub-clan" as a tool to advance his personal interests. Now he is part of Puntland security apparatus. We don't know which party of this never-ending conflict he will side with.

As for the Ilka-Jir and Cali Ciid, I can tell you they have lost both credibility and trust among their constituency unless something miracle happens that would restore their known leadership qualities.

Originally posted by Koora-Tuunshe:

Xudeydi & Naasir: waa ramadaane xaalada naga qaboojiya. [/QB]

Koora-Tuunshe, walaale, first of all, when you speak to Xudeydi & Naasir-- I believe, you are speaking with the same individual, here. However; it is necessary and commendable that you took it upon yourself to remedy this sheer madness flowing out of this ONE gentleman. Lord knows I've tried: and every time I have done so; he has labeled me an obsequious minion of the "ssdf" and therefore in no position to tell him, to calm things down. :D

Therefore, we appreciate your wisdom in giving him counsel. I just hope he apprises this, heeds you advice and cools things down, as you've said.

Xudeedi   

Adeer, no clan political ambitions (Puntland) can hi-jack my identity. I participated in the creation of Puntland in order to advance what was thought as a mutual interest. I’m a Makhiri that inhabits a country that stretches from Ceerigaabo to Bosaaso. My history of self-governance and proud legacy of 500-year-old sultanate wont allow me to be a bargaining chip for your clan.

If supporting your clan agendas is what makes one a Puntlander, then count me out. I’m a Somali by nationality and a Makhiri by blood.

Atam recaptured Galgala and ate fine dates for Suxuur, 10 SSDF mercenaries were captured. Bosaso is Atam’s hometown and he has every right to govern it’s affairs.

NASSIR   

Ramadaan Kariim.

I'll have to take a much-needed break from Politics in observance of the holy Month.

Honesty and Truth should be your guiding principles, for they resolve our social and political problems and sustain peace and prosperity...